Logo
Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome to ShareScene - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Australia's Sharemarket Community - New Here? Click To Register >

2 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 >   

Reply to this topic

New Phishing Scam - Telstra CDMA upgrade
nipper
post Posted: Jul 20 2016, 11:39 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: alonso's post @ Jul 20 2016, 10:19 AM

Build and they will come

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time."
- Dr John Hussman

“If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions.” ― Michel de Montaigne

alonso
post Posted: Jul 20 2016, 10:19 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Jul 19 2016, 05:47 PM

This has got to be a joke. Do these people even realise they don't speak English?

--------------------
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true"

"What is prudence in the conduct of every private family can scarce be folly in that of a great kingdom." Adam Smith

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jul 19 2016, 05:47 PM
  Quote Post

Got this gem of an email today.

Subject: Job offer
Date: 19 July 2016 at 18:56:25 AEST
To:
Reply-To: HR manager <briantforhan@yahoo.com>

Good day. It is currency exchange company. We bought your email at Internet service. We are sorry for sudden letter but we urgently need the wage-earners. The obligation of wage-earners is accept cash or noncash money from our company and deliver them to clientage. If you want to try in this vacancy, write us please - Your age
- City where you live
With these information we will determine, if you match for our company or not. If you are interested, write us please. We are sorry if we've disturbed you in vain
Sincerely,
Currency exchange company

Was going to play along for a while, but then thought the better of it.
Those Russians can turn quite nasty.
Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: nipper  early birds  

mullokintyre
post Posted: Nov 5 2015, 09:06 AM
  Quote Post

Not really a phising scam, but it is kinda Telstra related.
Got a Text this morning on my Telstra Iphone from Sydney Design School
telling me about an open day on Nov 14th.
gave a web site to register.
As I have no artistic ability nor desire to attain such, I do not know why I was targteted or how they got my number.
Just in case I did a search online to see what was said about it.
One of the sites whirlpool
has a series of damning comments about the school being a ripoff.
There are a couple of positive posts on the school, but both of them from first time posters.
The resident interior design folks very quickly labelled them as rampers from the promoters of the school.
Makes for some fun reading.
I rang the school and said if I received anymore unwanted text messages I would be travelling up to Sydney to personally tatoo the words
"do not contact" and my phone number on the arse of the CEO.

Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: arty  

grevillia
post Posted: Dec 9 2011, 11:11 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: arty's post @ Dec 8 2011, 01:49 PM

When you get a call about your computer, it is best to say "I don't have a computer".

arty
post Posted: Dec 8 2011, 01:49 PM
  Quote Post

not an exact match, but no need to create a new thread for scams:

I had warned about scams like this one before, but judging by an email I received today, there are still some "innocent" people around.

one of my sisters received a call (foreign voice) saying that he/d been alerted thru either Bigpond or Telstra (forget which she said) that she'd complained about not being able to get online. Foolishly she let them take control of her computer (would she have needed to do a couple of keystrokes to let them in) and she watched while the arrow whizzed around her screen without any input from her. She then was online, and ecstatic about it, and paid them $200 with her credit card. When I found out, I got her to change her credit card details immediately, which she did. One day later the status of her computer was the same as before – she still couldnit get online.
So was this a scam or was this a scam?

Question: If she couldn’t “go online”, how did the strangers get into her computer? Of course she must’ve been online; any problems she might have had would be her own inability to use the browser or email program correctly.

IMHO, she should have reversed the charges as well. Of course she’s been scammed. And she should also make sure that any other sensitive information hasn’t been stolen. “Artists” take address records, photos, and personal emails, which they then use to apply for loans or other benefits in the victim’s name.

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

happychappy
post Posted: Feb 27 2007, 11:19 AM
  Quote Post

In reply to: gwydir on Monday 26/02/07 05:48pm

gwydir,

see the "Tech Support" post under off-topic Humour,

It's a well known problem cool.gif

R/happy

--------------------

gwydir
post Posted: Feb 26 2007, 07:48 PM
  Quote Post

Its a very expensive filter......I will pay for it the rest of my life.....

alonso
post Posted: Feb 26 2007, 07:34 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: gwydir on Monday 26/02/07 08:25pm

damn . .and I thought I had all the latest bits of technology

--------------------
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true"

"What is prudence in the conduct of every private family can scarce be folly in that of a great kingdom." Adam Smith

gwydir
post Posted: Feb 26 2007, 07:25 PM
  Quote Post

I let the wife answer the phone wink.gif

2 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 >

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareScene.com, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING