Logo
Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome to ShareScene - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Australia's Sharemarket Community - New Here? Click To Register >

Reply to this topic

New Phishing Scam - Telstra CDMA upgrade
grevillia
post Posted: Dec 9 2011, 11:11 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: arty's post @ Dec 8 2011, 01:49 PM

When you get a call about your computer, it is best to say "I don't have a computer".

arty
post Posted: Dec 8 2011, 01:49 PM
  Quote Post

not an exact match, but no need to create a new thread for scams:

I had warned about scams like this one before, but judging by an email I received today, there are still some "innocent" people around.

one of my sisters received a call (foreign voice) saying that he/d been alerted thru either Bigpond or Telstra (forget which she said) that she'd complained about not being able to get online. Foolishly she let them take control of her computer (would she have needed to do a couple of keystrokes to let them in) and she watched while the arrow whizzed around her screen without any input from her. She then was online, and ecstatic about it, and paid them $200 with her credit card. When I found out, I got her to change her credit card details immediately, which she did. One day later the status of her computer was the same as before – she still couldnit get online.
So was this a scam or was this a scam?

Question: If she couldn’t “go online”, how did the strangers get into her computer? Of course she must’ve been online; any problems she might have had would be her own inability to use the browser or email program correctly.

IMHO, she should have reversed the charges as well. Of course she’s been scammed. And she should also make sure that any other sensitive information hasn’t been stolen. “Artists” take address records, photos, and personal emails, which they then use to apply for loans or other benefits in the victim’s name.

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

happychappy
post Posted: Feb 27 2007, 11:19 AM
  Quote Post

In reply to: gwydir on Monday 26/02/07 05:48pm

gwydir,

see the "Tech Support" post under off-topic Humour,

It's a well known problem cool.gif

R/happy

--------------------

gwydir
post Posted: Feb 26 2007, 07:48 PM
  Quote Post

Its a very expensive filter......I will pay for it the rest of my life.....

alonso
post Posted: Feb 26 2007, 07:34 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: gwydir on Monday 26/02/07 08:25pm

damn . .and I thought I had all the latest bits of technology

--------------------
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true"

"What is prudence in the conduct of every private family can scarce be folly in that of a great kingdom." Adam Smith

gwydir
post Posted: Feb 26 2007, 07:25 PM
  Quote Post

I let the wife answer the phone wink.gif

alonso
post Posted: Feb 26 2007, 07:20 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: gwydir on Monday 26/02/07 05:03pm

echo happychaps sentiments. I always work on the principle that what you don't tell people they can't know, so even when I get one of those research type calls I just tell them I don't have time for their bs and they usually hang up.

--------------------
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true"

"What is prudence in the conduct of every private family can scarce be folly in that of a great kingdom." Adam Smith

happychappy
post Posted: Feb 26 2007, 04:32 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: gwydir on Monday 26/02/07 02:03pm

Thanks,

I haven't got that SMS yet.

It puts the scam into perspective - striking while the iron is hot.

There are some damn clever people out there trying 24/7 to get the money out of your pocket.

I see phishing emails trying to get my banking details almost weekly now, but it never occurred to me that the same thing might happen by phone.

It's obvious in hindsight, but you've only got to let one slip through and you could be left with a very nasty situation to clean up.

R/happy

--------------------

gwydir
post Posted: Feb 26 2007, 04:03 PM
  Quote Post

This is an email I received from my team.telstra upline today.

Telstra has previously announced that it will close down the CDMA network once the Next G™ network offers the same or better coverage. Telstra expects to reach this coverage milestone in early 2008. In the lead up to this planned closure, in approximately 12 months time (ie. early 2008), Telstra is providing advice to all of its prepaid CDMA customers.

What is being done & when?

An SMS is being sent to all CDMA prepaid customers advising of network closure in early 2008. This is a service message to customers providing them with advice about the CDMA network closing in February 2008. The SMS will be staggered over 3 days, commencing Monday 26th Feb 2007 until Wednesday 28th Feb 2007 (and will be sent between 9am & 12 noon of each day).

The SMS reads:

Telstra's CDMA network will close Feb 08. U won't B able 2 use your CDMA phone after this time.

4 info visit www.telstra.com.au/cdmaupgrade or call 1800338290."

happychappy
post Posted: Feb 26 2007, 03:32 PM
  Quote Post

Hi all,

Any of the trading crew in the country still got a CDMA phone?

I got a call today from a "Telstra call centre" offering me an upgrade on my handset.

It all sounded bona-fide - gave them an address to mail out info etc, but then the well spoke gent with a SE-asian accent then asked for 100 points of ID, including drivers licence number/expiry date etc to complete the package.

This started to smell really bad, so i didn't progress the conversation any longer.

I've been in touch with Telstra, and they confirmed it was not one of their people.

So folks, be alert - not all phishing scams arrive by email - some ingenious chaps have worked out how to do it convincingly by phone.

I'd shudder to think what they would have done with my personal details.

R/happy

--------------------

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareScene.com, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING