Logo
Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome to ShareScene - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Australia's Sharemarket Community - New Here? Click To Register >

29 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

MUSIC- What are we listening to?
nipper
post Posted: Nov 17 2016, 07:52 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: early birds's post @ Nov 16 2016, 10:48 PM

ever heard his interpretation of ' sound of silence".

YES !! Local radio station (artsound.fm) did a 2 hour program on his stuff last night - incl covers and his originals

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time."
- Dr John Hussman

“If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions.” ― Michel de Montaigne

early birds
post Posted: Nov 16 2016, 10:48 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Nov 16 2016, 09:43 PM

it's a mazing for an erotic poem to a holly grill anthem .
i do love the song----master piece . love Cohen's artistry . tongue.gif if you ever herd his interpretation of ' sound of silence".

nipper
post Posted: Nov 16 2016, 09:43 PM
  Quote Post

a bit more on Leonard Cohen - his songs have been covered by many artists and, when done nicely, were very evocative

Barb Jongr - great 2014 album Hard Rain - Music of Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVr4uF4iCS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MDlMdu2gjw Antony, of The Johnsons, doing If It Be Your Will (from a Tribute Concert at Sydney Opera House - "I'm Your Fan")

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time."
- Dr John Hussman

“If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions.” ― Michel de Montaigne

early birds
post Posted: Nov 13 2016, 09:08 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ Nov 13 2016, 06:39 AM

you got me there triage, i don't understand what they are saying. wink.gif
thought music speaks universal language. seems not!! ohmy.gif

triage
post Posted: Nov 13 2016, 06:39 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: early birds's post @ Nov 12 2016, 10:08 PM

eb

It's only church music if you can understand what they are saying. wink.gif

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Mozart fixes everything and Messi is a dog

early birds
post Posted: Nov 12 2016, 10:08 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ Nov 12 2016, 10:40 AM

church music?? i don't have religions traige. have to blame commies for that.
the funny thing is i don't even believe communism. i'm a poor man have no sols thumbdown.gif
only believe Darwin's evolution.
i have my best rock song of all time-----high way to hell---AC/DC .

triage
post Posted: Nov 12 2016, 10:40 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: early birds's post @ Nov 11 2016, 08:30 PM

eb

Mate if you're feeling down DO NOT under any circumstances turn the bloody cricket on!!!! weirdsmiley.gif thumbdown.gif tongue.gif

Try jacsar's suggestion. How about some Hildegard, a remarkable woman who was able to hold her own in 12th century Germany and produce music that can lift you out of the mundane and melancholy (imo).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei88J4lERbk

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Mozart fixes everything and Messi is a dog

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  

jacsar
post Posted: Nov 12 2016, 12:37 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: early birds's post @ Nov 11 2016, 08:30 PM

eb, do you feel sad when listening to uplifting music from classicals 200 yrs ago? yes, it lifts you and puts you down into areas we rarely touch or talk about...such is the power of rythms and thought and music...it touches our soul

early birds
post Posted: Nov 11 2016, 08:30 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Nov 11 2016, 04:41 PM

man!! really feel 'old' for myself. see those good artists gone----one by one..
only see the news today. triage saw the sad news day before
feel sad about this world at moment. sadsmiley02.gif

nipper
post Posted: Nov 11 2016, 04:41 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ Nov 11 2016, 03:06 PM

LC was an acquired taste. The early vinyl didn't sell well, and the broad label of "Singer songwriter" from the (late) sixties didn't sit that well, and was fading from view as the 70's progressed. He plugged on, and on. Hallelujah covered by Jeff Buckley brought a relaunch, and "a new generation of fans". His last few years of touring have been a treat. Discovery that his manager had benefited more than him forced this reemergence. His band on the live O2 recording is great.

--------------------
- Dr John Hussman

Said 'Thanks' for this post: triage  

29 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareScene.com, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING