Logo
Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome to ShareScene - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Australia's Sharemarket Community - New Here? Click To Register >

3 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 >   

Reply to this topic

What is the Best Broadband provider?
wolverine
post Posted: Jun 10 2010, 10:40 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: focus's post @ Jun 10 2010, 09:07 AM

I have about 10GB/mth and it is more than enough for me at each location. The highest usage in the last 12mths for me was 5.4GB.

--------------------
I AM THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

raauul
post Posted: Jun 10 2010, 10:40 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: focus's post @ Jun 10 2010, 09:07 AM

I use the Netcomm NB9WMaxx modem as well for my ADSL + VOIP. Just configure the modem for voip & plug a phone straight into it. Computer does not need to be running for phone to work. Very happy with it.

I still use the PSTN line for incoming calls & backup also. VOIP for outgoing.

160gb is a fair amount of downloading. You wouldn't need that much unless you download alot of movies etc.

I use TPG for ADSL2, for $49.99 a month i get 80GB download + 500mins voip time included. You can get more download now, maybe 130gb at that price.

2.5 kms from exchange i get 7mbps download speed. the shaping if you go over limit is 1mbps which isnt that bad !! forget 56k shaping.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: focus  

focus
post Posted: Jun 10 2010, 09:07 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: wolverine's post @ Jun 10 2010, 08:46 AM

Thanks wolverine, thats the sort of thing I was interested in. How many gb do you have or is it unlimited, I was thinking about 160gb download (upload not included) I dont make a great deal of phone calls out (retired person) and my phone line service is always much higher than the cost of calls. I also have a good deal on my mobile service so am not worried about power outages as i can always use the mobile

focus

dont know why it doubled up

--------------------
Old Lighthouse Mechanics - Keep the Lights Burning from Dusk till Dawn

focus
post Posted: Jun 10 2010, 09:07 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: wolverine's post @ Jun 10 2010, 08:46 AM

Thanks wolverine, thats the sort of thing I was interested in. How many gb do you have or is it unlimited, I was thinking about 160gb download (upload not included) I dont make a great deal of phone calls out (retired person) and my phone line service is always much higher than the cost of calls. I also have a good deal on my mobile service so am not worried about power outages as i can always use the mobile

focus

--------------------

wolverine
post Posted: Jun 10 2010, 08:46 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: focus's post @ Jun 10 2010, 08:29 AM

I use VOIP thru exetel both at home and work through a Netcomm NBNWMAXX router/modem/voip and a Netgear DG834GV router/modem/voip.

At this point I am not prepared to give up my PSTN (normal phone line and number). The routers have the capacity to use switch between PSTN or VOIP inbound and selects VOIP for outbound calls. At home I use it this way, at work I keep the two lines separate by not plugging the PSTN phone into the router. I have two handsets dedicated to VOIP and 3 lines dedicated to PSTN.

The call quality is acceptable with the slight talking down a hallway sound about them.

I get about 3000kb/500kb at both home and work but the home line is a bit more touchy.

The cost of phone calls not surprisingly has dropped significantly since installing the new routers.

Exetel are pretty fair on their pricing for both phone, internet with VOIP access free with 10c calls and there are other packages atm that offer a virtually free wireless access thru Optus (not sure of the terms maybe 100MB) by sending you an enabled SIM card with USB modem extra $$'s if you don't have a suitable hardware. VOIP can be cheaper if you pre-pay for a block of calls.

--------------------
I AM THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

focus
post Posted: Jun 10 2010, 08:29 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: drrc's post @ Jun 9 2010, 11:07 PM

Thanks drrc, yes I had read the whirlpool site about BOB and I was hoping to get more feedback as I am trying to ditch my phone co and totally use skype and a voip system.

Is anybody totally using voip on ss and whats their thoughts. I am in melbourne

focus

--------------------

flower
post Posted: Jun 9 2010, 11:43 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: drrc's post @ Jun 9 2010, 11:07 PM

Westnet are fantastic--support either answer on the spot or ring you back within 10 minutes. Only outages are from the useless elctricity suppliers! We have an agent locally, we can go straight to him if necessary--very lucky in that respect being in the country. Think they are owned by iinet these days, but cant confirm.

Bundled with the landline, think its about $43 a month, we run 2 PC's 24/7, never have exceeded our quota, on cable 100.0 Mpbs whatever that means.

--------------------
Combining Fundamental comments with Fundamental charts.

drrc
post Posted: Jun 9 2010, 11:07 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: focus's post @ Jun 9 2010, 08:51 AM

iinet are good, but bob seems problematic:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/?acti...;f=72&q=bob

focus
post Posted: Jun 9 2010, 08:51 AM
  Quote Post

Is anybody on ss using iinet and their unit "Bob". Would like to know what their thoughts are regarding reception/use/cost/etc

focus

--------------------

alderton
post Posted: May 11 2005, 01:47 AM
  Quote Post

In reply to: tibbs on Monday 09/05/05 09:30pm

Tibbs,

Check out Personal Broadband aka iBurst. Mobile bb at about $40 per month.

--------------------
LOL

A

3 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 >

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareScene.com, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING