Logo
Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome to ShareScene - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Australia's Sharemarket Community - New Here? Click To Register >

5 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

fishing freaks, a place for tips and tall stories !
blueice
post Posted: Jan 6 2010, 01:21 PM
  Quote Post

A loooooooong time between drinks for this thread - any way I'm here to share my success at fishing with you all (those who care anyway) whilst away at the Entrance last Saturday. I manged to catch 15 good size whitings. couple of breams and a small shark off the rocks. This one made me jump because I never had caught a shark before......................and tell you what, they were bloody tasty on the BBQ washed down with a cold beer..........................Love it.....................

texas4qld
post Posted: Apr 29 2005, 11:46 AM
  Quote Post

My brother and I caught this sucker last week using a small kangaroo for bait !
Attached File(s)
Attached File  pic004671.jpg ( 62.66K ) Number of downloads: 0

--------------------
The above comments are just my opinions, do your own research before deciding to buy or sell.

Jay
post Posted: Oct 12 2004, 01:05 PM
  Quote Post

If those two wahoo were any indication then, you would have no probs getting your fish in. Those wahoo were baiscally scull-dragged to the boat, notice the other one on the floor behind. Bloody vermon fish, took the fillets off them and ended up using a fair bit of them for bait. Caught some nice spangled emporer on the inside of the reef at night time on hand line! Noe they are great eating!

--------------------
I hold EXS, CRC, JRL, BLK, ANZ, NAB, WBC, ERA, TAP, RXM and written XJO Puts

texas4qld
post Posted: Oct 12 2004, 12:37 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: Jay on Tuesday 12/10/04 11:34am

I'm fairly confident if I had one of those rods, I would have caught the ones that were snapping my lines laughingsmiley.gif

Great pictures mate.

Tex.

--------------------
The above comments are just my opinions, do your own research before deciding to buy or sell.

Jay
post Posted: Oct 12 2004, 11:47 AM
  Quote Post

Filthy Wahoo that Clive caught. Will have some pics of marlin after i recieve the files back on disk.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  DSC00048__Small_.JPG ( 28.32K ) Number of downloads: 0

--------------------

Jay
post Posted: Oct 12 2004, 11:46 AM
  Quote Post

Me and the boys

Attached File(s)
Attached File  DSC00049__Small_.JPG ( 47.01K ) Number of downloads: 0

--------------------

Jay
post Posted: Oct 12 2004, 11:45 AM
  Quote Post

The boat we called home for a week
Attached File(s)
Attached File  DSC00051__Small_.JPG ( 55.81K ) Number of downloads: 1

--------------------

Jay
post Posted: Oct 12 2004, 11:43 AM
  Quote Post

Me in the chair on the way out of Cairns
Attached File(s)
Attached File  DSC00047__Small_.JPG ( 50.24K ) Number of downloads: 1

--------------------

Jay
post Posted: Oct 12 2004, 11:34 AM
  Quote Post

Hooked up onto a 950-1000lb'er at Lindon Bank last thursday on 130lb gear. Was on for an hour and a half when a f*ckin tiger shark decided to get hungry. Was the biggest fish i have ever been on, and after fishing the reel on sunset (30kg of drag) for an hour was absolutely buggered that night.... Almost went for a water ski a couple of times as it nearly ripped me out of the chair. Can't wait to do it again, thats for sure. Fished the 8kg Sailfish Shootout tournament on the weekend, but didn't turn a reel unfortunately, except for a one dolphin fish.

PS, nice little shark Tex!

--------------------

texas4qld
post Posted: Oct 7 2004, 10:04 AM
  Quote Post

Day 2: The hunt for Mullaway continues.

I decided it was best to wait a couple of days for the lowest tide and the full moon, this meant the best time would be September 30 at 6.p.m. and I could fish the incoming tide right on dark.

We set up a couple of hours early, and nothing touched my baits for hours.
It was getting dark fast, and storm clouds were moving in, so the family wished me well and headed back to the beach house.
I put on my raincoat and waited for the big Mullaway to turn up on the scene.

At about 7 p.m. my first rod was almost pulled out of it's holder, and I jumped up and tightened the drag.
It soon became apparent whatever it was on the end of my line was far bigger than the previous shark I had pulled in, and I had to release the drag or risk snapping my line.

Then, without warning the fish gave a voilent yank, and he was gone.
It had started to rain now, and I was standing in the dark with only the help of a dolphin torch, but my spirits were high and as I re-rigged my line, and kept a watchful eye on the other rod.
I still had 7 live baits left, and was confident that the action would continue.

When I got the next hit, I started to worry.............once again what ever I had hooked was massive, and he was taking plenty of line from the spool.....without even looking like it was getting tired.
The problem I had, was even though I had the right bait, the right rigs, and the right time and place..............I didn't have the right reels on my rods.
Because I was running 25 KG line, I could only fit about 70m of line on the spool before it was full.
So each time I tried to fight these giant fish, the end result was always the same (a snapped line).

So here I was, on the beach, in the darkness, wind howling with the rain pelting down, and on my last bait.........it was now about 9.p.m.
Once again the rod bent like it was a twig, the line was so stained it was making a high pitched sound in the wind.
I don't often pray, but this seemed like a good time to start........so I said "please god just let me catch this one" I really want to see whats been snapping my lines all night !

I let it take as much line as I could, and tried to get a metre back when ever I could.
But it was the same as tying your line to the back of a car, it just kept going and I had no choice but to lock off the drag......because I had about 2 metres left on the spool.
I held on for dear life, and it dragged me for a short distance along the beach, before once again the line shot back through the water like a slingshot.

You'd think at this point, I'd be feeling pretty down.
But strangely enough I didn't feel dissapointed, I just thought "well at the very least, it will be a great story to tell the wife & kids".
Next time, I'll make sure I have the right gear, and maybe I'll still get that illusive Mullaway biggrin.gif

Tex.

--------------------

5 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareScene.com, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING