Logo
Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome to ShareScene - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Australia's Sharemarket Community - New Here? Click To Register >

197 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

Computer issues and problems, virus warnings, tech problems, whatever
arty
post Posted: Aug 5 2014, 09:34 PM
  Quote Post

On a cold winter's morning, a wife texts her husband who is at work:
"Windows frozen, won't open."

Husband texts back:
"Gently pour some lukewarm water over it."

Wife texts back 5 minutes later:
"Computer screen now also buggered."

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

Said 'Thanks' for this post: flower  

flower
post Posted: Aug 5 2014, 03:17 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: arty's post @ Aug 5 2014, 02:01 PM

there must be something else at play.
No chart of mine is without MACD, and I haven't had an issue with that this side of the GFC.

Hi arty, in tandem with support we did just as you suggested rebuilding the affected chart into another template. Support tells me that in fact several MA7 users have been similarly affected, always MACD is the culprit, so am using stochastics instead just until they get a fix on what is causing problems for some, it's no major issue for me. Think you have nailed it--a corrupt chart.

--------------------
Combining Fundamental comments with Fundamental charts.

arty
post Posted: Aug 5 2014, 02:01 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: flower's post @ Aug 5 2014, 01:51 PM

there must be something else at play.
No chart of mine is without MACD, and I haven't had an issue with that this side of the GFC.

Of course, sometimes a chart template, like any piece of computer data, can be corrupted. If that happens, the only solution is to remove the template and create it from scratch. To remove it, go to Windows Explorer, "My Documents", MA7 > Charts and manually delete the three files with the name of your corrupt template. (Every template is made up of 3 files with different extensions as shown below.)
Start the Analyser again and build a new template.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  MA7Templates.gif ( 32K ) Number of downloads: 1

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

flower
post Posted: Aug 5 2014, 01:51 PM
  Quote Post

To any body using MA7: Support is having issues about charts that use MACD. They are working on the problem, what happens is in using MACD some users experience a freezing of just that chart, temporary solution: replace MACD and use Stochastics while problem is sorted.

--------------------
Combining Fundamental comments with Fundamental charts.

arty
post Posted: May 28 2014, 12:00 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: eBear's post @ Apr 29 2014, 02:14 PM

Like many others, I'm still maintaining a Windows XP box as testbed and backup machine.
It is therefore with some relief that I noticed some additional activity from Microsoft on this front:
  • Further Security Updates have been provided to patch certain XP vulnerabilities.
  • IE8 has been sent to replace the leaking earlier versions of Internet Explorer.
While Internet Explorer has never worried me - I use the much safer and better supported Firefox - I am happy that MS took their responsibility somewhat more serious. The amount of money necessary to replace XP boxes, which have rarely more than 2 GB of RAM, could rival the Year-2000 YTK hysteria. And similar to that hype, I firmly believe that a modicum of common sense in dealing with Internet communication will keep XP users secure and happy for many years to come.

On a slightly different note: I have come across an issue, where "something" a friendly Helpdesk member did to a neighbour's system activated the need for her to login as Administrator. As that was the only user defined on her (second-hand) PC, she couldn't use her PC at all because she had no knowledge of any Windows password.

In order to avoid a hazard like that, I have immediately added a new user to all my Windows PCs. This new user, named "Master" or something similar, has Administrator privileges and can be used in case anything goes wrong with the original.
That didn't help my neighbour though. There, I had to resort to a hacking tool - google ophcrack and download the XP Live CD boot tool, if you ever need to crack a password - to find the unknown Administrator password. It took 5 minutes and saved her a few $100 as the local "PC Fixer" had told her the only option was a new PC with Windows 8, which he would be happy to sell her, plus a small fee to recover any data from her soon-to-be-scrapped old disk drive.

A rather happier outcome for a struggling age-pensioner smile.gif

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: balance  indeficit  

arty
post Posted: May 2 2014, 10:57 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: alonso's post @ May 2 2014, 10:19 AM

I'm in Perth, just South of the River.
Great coverage around here - historically the first extension from Curtin Uni.
They did expand into other Capital Cities, but comments on the Whirlpool Forum are mixed.
I can't complain though - am only mildly concerned that Optus might divert some of the bandwidth elsewhere; rumour has it they bought Vivid solely for the 4G spectrum they own.

--------------------

alonso
post Posted: May 2 2014, 10:19 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: arty's post @ May 2 2014, 09:48 AM

I was having the same problems years ago before going wireless.
Haven't heard of Vividwireless. Can't ask you where you are, but do they have as good a coverage as Telstra or are they really only metropolitan service?

--------------------
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true"

"What is prudence in the conduct of every private family can scarce be folly in that of a great kingdom." Adam Smith

arty
post Posted: May 2 2014, 09:48 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: Tinkerbell's post @ May 2 2014, 09:28 AM

You're lucky, tinkerbell;

in our suburb, Telstra's pits are the pits: about 40 years old, frequently flooded, and badly maintained - if at all.
A couple of years ago, I had four different techs "investigate" up to 100 modem resets a day. The only honest opinion I received from them - strictly off the record - was utterly condemning: Whenever a Contractor was sent out to repair a faulty connection - which happened daily in our area - they would simply pick a "dry" line and patch the client through it. Documentation? No time for that.
One chap even hinted that a patch, which had given me temporarily a clean signal, may have been re-assigned to someone else.
Another one told me the corrosion was so bad that the entire cabling from nodes to homes needed replacing - at about $2,000 per household. The initial NBN concept would've fixed that. The now modified fiber-to-nodes approach won't do anything.

In the end, I cancelled my copper contract altogether and went 4G with Vividwireless.
With the T.I. Ombudsman's help, I even got a refund of the last year's Internet (non-) Service fees.

--------------------

Tinkerbell
post Posted: May 2 2014, 09:28 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: arty's post @ May 2 2014, 08:27 AM

Hi Arty,

I had the same problem some time back, where wet days were slower than the normal slow! I live near the beach and it

turned out the problem was in a Telstra pit up the road that was full of corrosion. Once they cleaned up the connections, I got an amazing turn of speed ( in comparison!)

arty
post Posted: May 2 2014, 08:27 AM
  Quote Post

Internet connection speeds

Early in the morning, all the torrenting kids are still asleep:

Speeds with an iiNet server:

Speeds with a Telstra server:

That's because I'm close to the 4G Tower, getting VividWireless almost line-of-sight.
My neighbour, who is connected by copper to a node, could not access her ISP after recent rains. After 10 minutes, I got her ADSL modem back to work and ran the same speedtest. Her results: Download 0.01Mb/s, Upload 0.21 Mb/s.

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: grevillia  

197 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareScene.com, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING