Logo
Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome to ShareScene - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Australia's Sharemarket Community - New Here? Click To Register >

111 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

WPL, WOODSIDE PETROLEUM LIMITED
PeterH
post Posted: Feb 16 2018, 02:47 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: balance's post @ Feb 16 2018, 10:39 AM

Yes Balance. I figured that if WPL is worth holding at all then a few more won't hurt.

It does appear that gas has a future even if petrol does not.

The modest but franked divi beats leaving the money in the bank anyway.

balance
post Posted: Feb 16 2018, 10:39 AM
  Quote Post

Good morning,

Has anyone had a look at the renounceable offer from WPL? Opinions?

1 for 9 at $27 for the purchase of up to 50% of the Scarborough gas field.

--------------------
Day Trader: Lowest form of life in the known universe.
Shorter: Can limbo under a day trader.
Investor: Salt of the Earth.Sits to the right of God (Warren Buffet)
Share prices are only ever manipulated down.
Paper losses are not really losses.
Chat site posters always know better & know more than anyone about anything.
I'm 29.
The cheque is in the mail.

blacksheep
post Posted: Nov 14 2017, 04:13 PM
  Quote Post

Woodside sell-down sparks ASX slide

Patrick Commins and Jessica Sier

A long-awaited "liquidity event" in Woodside Petroleum shares sparked selling across ASX bluechips and pushed the ASX 200 back below 6000 points.

The S&P/ASX 200 index immediately dropped below 6000 points at the open before heading lower through early trade. Shares regained some equilibrium later in the session but still ended the day down 56 points, or 0.9 per cent, at 5969 - their worst day in approaching two months. The wider All Ordinaries index lost 49 points to close at 6049.

Analysts suggested that institutional investors needed to make space in their portfolios after hoovering up Shell's $3.5 billion stake in Woodside Petroleum last night.

"We're seeing broad-based falls across the sharemarket and I think it's because the funding for Woodside is happening," Citi director of equity sales Karen Jorritsma said. The selling extended beyond the oil and gas space, with the major banks and miners also used as funding sources, Ms Jorritsma said. The big four lenders and BHP and Rio Tinto all fell in the vicinity of 1 per cent on Tuesday.

"There's nothing in the energy space that are equally sized to Woodside."

Nonetheless, the energy sector was where the sharpest losses were felt, losing 2.3 per cent as a group. Oil Search and Santos ended down 2.2 per cent, Beach Energy lost 3.1 per cent and Origin Energy was 1.1 per cent lower. Woodside itself dropped 3.2 per cent, in line with the discount applied to the sale of Shell's stake, a result which Ms Jorritsma labelled "a pretty good outcome".

read more - http://www.theage.com.au/business/markets/...113-gzks7w.html

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

nipper
post Posted: Nov 14 2017, 06:04 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: abner29's post @ Nov 14 2017, 04:50 AM

abner, had me looking up ASIC provisions (and spoil my day). I think because it is a significant holding, certain actions need to be taken - RG 110.18 and 110.20. ("it is usually appropriate for shareholders to have the benefit of independent advice on whether to vote for a buy-back") - sounds messy. 

......and in this morning's rag
Royal Dutch Shell has sold the remainder of its stake in Woodside Petroleum, Street Talk can reveal. It is understood the oil major offloaded a another $1.2 billion stake in the the Perth-based oil and gas producer in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

Fund manager sources said both block trades saw the two investment banks jettison the Woodside shares at $31.10 apiece

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

Said 'Thanks' for this post: abner29  

abner29
post Posted: Nov 14 2017, 04:50 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Nov 13 2017, 09:50 PM

wonder why Woodside didn't buy the block and retire the shares? Seems a benefit to the Company and its shareholders.

nipper
post Posted: Nov 13 2017, 09:50 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: wolverine's post @ Nov 13 2017, 09:41 PM

BHP should have lifted the lot
yes, but offshore has too many variabilities in the models - very hard for bean-counters to sign off on. (even though IMO the projections contain the BS assumptions, more than risk weighting)

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

wolverine
post Posted: Nov 13 2017, 09:41 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Nov 13 2017, 08:23 PM

4.8% overhang with a 90 day standstill I guess it gets finished off eventually.

BHP should have lifted the lot and had a crack rather than buying the shale shit.

--------------------
TOO MANY CHIEFS

NOT ENOUGH INDIANS

nipper
post Posted: Nov 13 2017, 08:23 PM
  Quote Post

this has taken a long, long time
Royal Dutch Shell has struck a deal to sell down a $2.23 billion stake in Woodside Petroleum, bringing its stake to less than 5 per cent. The move comes as investment banks were earlier pitching to sell Shell's entire $3.5 billion stake in Woodside through a so-called 'blind date' auction is currently underway.

The European oil major on Monday night said it had entered an underwriting agreement with two investment banks to sell an 8.5 per cent stake in Woodside, or 71.6 million shares, at $31.10 per share. The sale is expected to clear on Tuesday, Shell said. While Shell did not name the banks, UBS and Morgan Stanley were understood to be acting on its behalf.

This will leave Shell with a 4.8 per cent stake, meaning it is no longer classified as a significant shareholder and will not have to report future sales to the stock exchange. [Shell] has committed to not sell down any of the remaining stake for 90 days "with limited customary exceptions."

"This sale is another step towards the completion of our three-year $30 billion divestment program," Shell chief financial officer Jessica Uhl said. "Proceeds from the sale will contribute to reducing our net debt."..

Shell is trying to sell out after decades as a Woodside shareholder and two unsuccessful takeover attempts for the Perth company.

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Oct 9 2017, 06:26 PM
  Quote Post

Woodside chief executive Peter Coleman says the start-up of production at the $US34 billion ($44 billion) Wheatstone liquefied natural gas project on the Western Australian mainland is a major milestone for the company and will give shareholders confidence in its long-term production outlook.

Chevron, the operator and largest investor in the project, reported start-up on Monday, some months after it was originally expected. The first LNG cargo from the project is to be shipped in the coming weeks, it said on Monday.

Once fully up and running, Wheatstone is expected to contribute more than 13 million barrels of oil equivalent to Woodside's production.

Mr Coleman declined to comment on how the delay in start-up would impact Woodside's production outlook for the 2018 financial year, and said the company would provide an update at its quarterly results later this month.

But he emphasised that the project would play a long-term role in shaping Woodside's future.

--------------------

blacksheep
post Posted: Sep 6 2017, 09:07 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: blacksheep's post @ Aug 26 2017, 08:37 PM

Woodside steadily building its offshore position in Africa
6TH SEPTEMBER 2017
BY: ESMARIE SWANEPOEL
CREAMER MEDIA
Speaking on the sidelines of the Africa Downunder conference, in Perth, Loader said that the company was steadily building its position in Africa, targeting areas that offered attractive commercial opportunities.

“We are not mortgaging the company to go exploring, we are taking a prudent approach to risk and uncertainty, and we have a world-class exploration team and are making the right decisions,” Loader said
He noted that unlike other players in the sector, Woodside was differentiating between risk and uncertainty, with the company taking two to three years to do the initial groundwork on a possible asset before investing funding.

However, Loader warned that offshore exploration in the African region was not a risk-free environment, adding that the natural environment often offered more competition than other oil explorers.

“Our competitor isn’t Exxon or Shell, its mother nature, and she can be pretty rough sometimes,” he said.

Woodside currently holds some 5 300 km2 of acreage offshore Gabon, owning a 40% interest in two exploration blocks. The company also holds a 35% interest in the SNE oil block offshore Senegal, one of the largest global deep-water oil discoveries since 2014, as well as some 47 519 km2 in acreage offshore Morocco

http://www.miningweekly.com/article/woodsi...rica-2017-09-06
Attached Image

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

111 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareScene.com, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING