Logo
Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome to ShareScene - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Australia's Sharemarket Community - New Here? Click To Register >

102 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

WPL, WOODSIDE PETROLEUM LIMITED
balance
post Posted: Oct 17 2014, 07:36 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: apache123's post @ Oct 17 2014, 12:09 PM

The BHP WPL tie up has been kicked around before and I too think it would be received more favourably by the treasurer than a Shell T/O or merger.

It would make BHP quite a power in oil and gas. Ship loads of cashflow and little debt.

--------------------
Day Trader: Lowest form of life in the known universe.
Shorter: Can limbo under a day trader.
Investor: Salt of the Earth.Sits to the right of God (Warren Buffet)
Share prices are only ever manipulated down.
Paper losses are not really losses.
Chat site posters always know better & know more than anyone about anything.
I'm 29.
The cheque is in the mail.

apache123
post Posted: Oct 17 2014, 12:09 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: wren's post @ Oct 16 2014, 11:04 PM

my two cents worth...

The bigger picture is when a certain dual listed Oz cmpy will make its move on WPL

Should this dual listed Oz cmpy spin off its less rewarding assets into a yet to be floated company, it will have an even larger war chest.

With the Shell parcel overhang potentially on the market at the right price, it could quickly get a foot hold in WPL.

The Foreign Investment Review board is less likely to veto an Oz based cmpy from acquiring WPL.

After all WPL, is a huge long term cash flow cow (eg almost debt free) and would fit in nicely into the coffers of the dual listed Oz cmpy.
From 2017, WPL's cashflow is set to jump yet again.

The recent oil price weakness also represents an opportunity to pick up stock at a lower price.

--------------------
Buyer beware: Do your own research before investing....

Said 'Thanks' for this post: wren  

wren
post Posted: Oct 16 2014, 11:04 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: flower's post @ Oct 16 2014, 10:03 PM

Flower,CVN would not be 'a sizeable transaction'.Apache's Oz assets maybe.As an aside,if CVN was in someone's sights it sure is a well kept secret.CVN closed at 20 cents today.

flower
post Posted: Oct 16 2014, 10:03 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: wolverine's post @ Oct 16 2014, 08:35 PM

The absence of any further capital management initiatives following the failed Shell deal, perhaps indicates that WPL might be close to executing a sizable asset transaction

Wonder who, if anybody, WPL have on their radar---a recently arrived near neighbour on the NW Shelf perhaps?

--------------------
Combining Fundamental comments with Fundamental charts.

wolverine
post Posted: Oct 16 2014, 08:35 PM
  Quote Post

from MS

Woodside Petroleum: Quick Comment: Strong Quarter for LNG
WPL’s third quarter operating and revenue performance was impressive. Production of 25.2 mboe was well ahead of our forecast of 22.1 mboe and the company has lifted its full-year production guidance range from 89-94 mboe to 93-95 mboe. Our estimate is 91.1 mboe and will need to be re-assessed. Both Pluto and the NWS LNG plants operated at record rates, in the case of Pluto at an annualized rate of 4.9 MTPA compared to name-plate of 4.3 MTPA. Q3 revenue was a record at US$1959m, well above our forecast of US$1633m, on higher production and record LNG shipments from both Pluto (19 shipments) and the NWS (72 shipments). Pluto LNG prices were strong at an average of US$16.15/mmbtu. Market concerns of weakness in the regional LNG markets have not borne out. Exploration drilling has commenced in the WA offshore “Outer Canning Basin” with the well “Hannover South” currently drilling, to be followed by “Steel Dragon”. Both are prospective for oil. Elsewhere, farm-in activity has added acreage offshore Morocco, Gabon and most recently Cameroon. In development, WPL continue to progress Browse FLNG with a decision to enter FEED targeted late 2014. Capex in the quarter was low, at US$228m, further driving positive FCF. The absence of any further capital management initiatives following the failed Shell deal, perhaps indicates that WPL might be close to executing a sizable asset transaction. Failing that, based on the latest result, WPL would be net-debt free by year end. We retain an EW rating.

--------------------
I AM THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

Said 'Thanks' for this post: mcart117  abner29  

apache123
post Posted: Oct 15 2014, 04:48 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ Oct 14 2014, 07:18 AM

heh heh.... bring on the hairy chest at 20 paces showdown at the G20 between Tony and Vlad wink.gif

yeah lots of conspiracy theories floating around concerning the cause of falling oil prices

page 7 of last years report shows what happens with movements in the Brent.

http://www.woodside.com.au/Investors-Media...ker%20Notes.pdf

Roughly $US700M difference in revenue when the Brent swings between $US78 and $US108
(the chart does not cover fluctuations in the $A though).

--------------------
Buyer beware: Do your own research before investing....

Said 'Thanks' for this post: triage  

nipper
post Posted: Oct 14 2014, 08:23 AM
  Quote Post

thanks Triage - makes sense

... and ....
I would suggest there is also a bit of an unspoken pact between the US and the Saudis, in that the US goes after the militants that are trying to destablise the Arab establishment
-
what is the marching song of the Saudi Armed Forces - Onward Christian Soldiers ?

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time."
- Dr John Hussman

wolverine
post Posted: Oct 14 2014, 07:55 AM
  Quote Post

I see WPL primarily as a gas stock so while POO has a negative effect it is probably counteracted with currency movements in our favour.

I like tin hat stuff. At least it tries to find meaning in what is often inexplicable.

--------------------

triage
post Posted: Oct 14 2014, 07:18 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: apache123's post @ Oct 13 2014, 03:12 PM

apache & wolvie

If I may interject - I don't currently hold any WPL so am very much just lurking here - here is a newspaper report that indicates that the Saudis may be happy to have oil down to US$80 for a year or so. The article indicates the motivation of the Saudis is to shake out some of the marginal producers, such as many of the US shale players, so as to protect their turf and revenue stream in the longer term.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-b...campaign=buffer

Putting on my tin foil hat I would suggest there is also a bit of an unspoken pact between the US and the Saudis, in that the US goes after the militants that are trying to destablise the Arab establishment and in return the Saudis punish Russia, and, as it happens, Qatar, which is financially supporting the militants in Syria, Iraq and Libya, with lower oil prices. High oil prices give Uncle Vlad wings, but lower prices and sanctions (plus our very own Testosterone-Tony, who won a prize in boxing from Oxbridge, threatening to shirt-front the ex-kgb operative at next month's g20 meeting) should be enough to trim his feathers and claws for a while at least.

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Said 'Thanks' for this post: nipper  

wolverine
post Posted: Oct 13 2014, 08:13 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: apache123's post @ Oct 13 2014, 03:12 PM

I have written calls against my stock so just sitting back and hoping to skin a few pennies while this goes on.

--------------------

102 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareScene.com, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING