Logo
Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome to ShareScene - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Australia's Sharemarket Community - New Here? Click To Register >

104 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

WPL, WOODSIDE PETROLEUM LIMITED
apache123
post Posted: Apr 2 2015, 03:59 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Apr 2 2015, 03:07 PM

Nipper

Yeah nothings certain in the current state of play in the Financial world, there are so many combination of things happening which may impact or create flow on effects elsewhere.

The only certain thing is that if we all had a Crystal Ball, we would all be billionaires now wink.gif

For the moment medium/longer term local investors are focusing on yields as it seems to be only place offering reasonably consistent returns but once risk rears its ugly head, the game will change again.

According to a survey released a few weeks ago, the majority of Industrial Super Funds are sitting on nearly 25% cash allocations (which is historically high) as they perceive that the market is overvalued.

I for one am wary of the market at these levels and reluctant to commit any more funds (unless it is undervalued and can ride out any bumps)..

Cheers
A

--------------------
Buyer beware: Do your own research before investing....

nipper
post Posted: Apr 2 2015, 03:07 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: apache123's post @ Apr 2 2015, 01:28 PM

Australian Fund Manager hall of fame member John Murray says the lofty yields from BHP Billiton, Rio Tinto and Woodside Petroleum make them all worthy investments, despite plunging commodity prices and earnings."[There's] no doubt that the big gains in resource stocks were had a number of years ago," said Mr Murray, who is Perennial Value's managing director.

"That's not to say we can't find value in resources, but in this time of greater uncertainty you've got to be very prudent and very selective. Our exposure is essentially to the big three: BHP, Rio and Woodside."

its a funny world when BHP has a higher yield on dividends than CBA (I judge BHP as being more sustainable in this respect than WPL)

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time."
- Dr John Hussman

persistent/2
post Posted: Apr 2 2015, 02:33 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: apache123's post @ Apr 2 2015, 01:28 PM

WOODSIDE CLOSES PURCHASE OF APACHE INTERESTS IN AUSTRALIAN ASSETS, company info today @ one hour ago.

apache123
post Posted: Apr 2 2015, 01:28 PM
  Quote Post

Blue chip offering 11% div yield this year?

http://www.afr.com/personal-finance/shares...20150318-1m1bas

Hmmm no wonder BlackRock (Worlds largest money manager) wants in..... see Substantial Holder notice issued 24 March 2015

--------------------

apache123
post Posted: Feb 27 2015, 09:33 AM
  Quote Post

Interesting.....

Why would you issue $1B in US corporate bonds if you have a spare $5-6B in the war chest?

Big acquisition coming up? ph34r.gif

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: wolverine  

wolverine
post Posted: Feb 19 2015, 09:07 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: apache123's post @ Feb 19 2015, 08:50 AM

The biggest risk is the performance of Pluto over the next couple of years it seems.

--------------------
I AM THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

apache123
post Posted: Feb 19 2015, 08:50 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: wolverine's post @ Feb 18 2015, 07:54 PM

Wolv

Yes, there has been a lot of uncertainty about the div and impact upon future earnings from lower oil prices.

Its good that the WPL board have stated both future div policy and production guidance clearly to the market.

There was a quote in the media yesterday that they have reduced the break even cost for oil production down to $25 a barrel (down from around $35 a barrel).

NOTE, the Saudi's break even is $25 a barrel !!

WPL also has a $10B war chest (though some of this is ear marked for the Apache asset purchase)

--------------------

wolverine
post Posted: Feb 18 2015, 07:54 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: apache123's post @ Feb 18 2015, 09:52 AM

I bt 3k in Ms Wolv's account last week and 1k in SF. harry hindsight disclosure oops.

I was a bit miffed to see the stock come down after buying but it seems the div has reignited some interest.

I was called at $39.50 a while ago on half my stock and then I heard some rumblings about Pluto so I lightened the rest but I kinda figured they will just cut capex and their cashflow will hold pretty well and lower AUD should keep the divs fat.

--------------------

apache123
post Posted: Feb 18 2015, 09:52 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: wolverine's post @ Jan 14 2015, 09:09 PM

Record FInal DIv $US1.44....

WPL still planning to retain 80% payout ratio for the time being.

Int Div likely to be impacted by lower oil prices (but will be offset by future revenue stream from Apache's asset acquisition and other new yet unannounced acquisitions) biggrin.gif

--------------------

wolverine
post Posted: Jan 14 2015, 09:09 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: apache123's post @ Jan 14 2015, 07:36 AM

I cut my exposure to WPL to about 1/6th.

I shuffled OSH to another account but am still holding whatever didn't get called at $8.50 on the first ride up.

I have nibbled on a few ORG and few STO but I am a little unsure if STO should be shuffled back out....ORG seems like it is a little more likely to ride out these prices.

Banks should keep on keeping on with every family in Australia spending at least $40 less per week on petrol. MOAR banks!!

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: mrbear  

104 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareScene.com, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING