Logo
Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome to ShareScene - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Australia's Sharemarket Community - New Here? Click To Register >

6 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

Solo round the world, Jessica Watson
swuzzlebubble
post Posted: Jan 22 2012, 12:39 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: swuzzlebubble's post @ Jul 29 2010, 10:00 AM

<h1 class="cN-headingPage articleHeading prepend-5 span-11 last">Dutch teen blows away Watson's solo sail record</h1>
Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/world/dutch-teen-...l#ixzz1k9P8Md82

--------------------
Main holding these days: MSB

swuzzlebubble
post Posted: Jul 29 2010, 10:00 AM
  Quote Post

A DUTCH teenager whose plans to become the youngest solo sailor to circumnavigate the world were blocked by a court is set to fulfil her ambition after judges gave her the go-ahead, provided her parents agree.

Laura Dekker's case ignited worldwide debate over the risks to young sailors chasing records when she said last year she wanted to embark on her adventure at the age of 13.

Despite support from her father, an experienced sailor, the Dutch authorities made her a ward of court amid concern over whether she was mentally and physically equipped to deal with the voyage. Now 14, Dekker could set off on her journey from Portugal within two weeks after her guardianship order was lifted on Tuesday.

delayedAds.push(function(){ FD.addExternalReferralsAd($merge(FD.baseAd, { id: "adspot-300x250-pos-3", iframeId: "adspot-300x250-pos-3-iframe", params: $merge($merge(FD.baseAd.params, { pos: 3, aamsz : "300x250" }),getAdParams("300x250")) ,addSmall: true ,smallText: "Advertisement: Story continues below" }) ); });The Council for Child Protection, the Dutch government's umbrella childcare agency, had asked the court to extend the order for a year. But the youth protection group asked to assess her welfare disagreed and said she was ready to sail.

Dekker, who has the full support of her parents, although her mother was initially against the plan, was not at the Middelburg family court to hear the decision, but was instead aboard her boat, the Guppy, making preparations.

If successful she will beat Australian Jessica Watson, 16, who became the youngest solo circumnavigator this year.

The debate about young teenagers attempting the challenge has led to the World Sailing Speed Record Council refusing to acknowledge records based on age.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/all-hands-o...0728-10w0g.html

--------------------

wren
post Posted: Jul 23 2010, 02:04 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: swuzzlebubble's post @ Jul 23 2010, 11:10 AM

Agree with the last paragraph.What a feat!

swuzzlebubble
post Posted: Jul 23 2010, 11:10 AM
  Quote Post

DISMASTED BUT NOT DETERRED

Italian-French Alessandro di Benedetto arrived this morning, July 22nd at the port of Les Sable d'Olonne in France, having completed his mission to sail around the world in single-handed, without any landing, not assisted, by a sailing boat 6.5 m. long, the smallest boat to attempt such a feat.

Starting in October 2009 from Les Sables d’Olonne, Alessandro has covered the 28,360 mile route in 270 days. The boat had left with a very low water line due to the weight of ship, and arrived after having faced many difficulties, most of all the dismasting prior to reaching Cape Horn.

Who is Alessandro di Benedetto. Yachting journalist Charles Doane explains:

“I first met Alessandro di Benedetto on a dock in November 1992 in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, as we were both preparing to sail across the North Atlantic from the Canary Islands to the Bahamas to commemorate the 500th anniversary of Columbus' voyage to America.

“Since then Alessandro has distinguished himself as a singlehander in his own right and has set two world records. In 2002 he sailed from Las Palmas to Guadeloupe and became the first singlehander to cross the Atlantic non-stop on a small open catamaran; in 2006 he duplicated the feat in the Pacific, crossing non-stop on an open cat from Yokohama to San Francisco.

“He set out from Les Sables d'Olonne in France on October 26, 2009, aboard a modified 21-foot Mini called Findomestic Banca (after his title sponsor), and things have seemingly gone smoothly until his approach to Cape Horn.

“According to some typically brief reports on his website, Alessandro's boat was dismasted in ‘extreme weather conditions’ March 30th off the west coast of Chile. Alessandro originally intended to set up a jury rig and sail into Chile, but decided rather to continue and finish his voyage under a 20-foot jury mast.

“All I can say is: this guy has serious nerve and deserves a lot more attention than he's been getting so far. Instead more people seem interested in the exploits of Abby Sunderland and Jessica Watson, the 16-year-old girls currently attempting to sail around the world alone and lock down the dubious and no longer officially recognized by anyone Youngest Around record.”

--------------------

bam_bamm
post Posted: Jul 7 2010, 05:41 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: swuzzlebubble's post @ Jul 7 2010, 05:34 PM

The readers comments says it all really.

--------------------

swuzzlebubble
post Posted: Jul 7 2010, 05:34 PM
  Quote Post

Jessica Watson is no normal teenager – but what about her taste in music?

Sony Music Entertainment today announced the record-breaking teen sailor will release a compilation album featuring 20 of her favourite songs and speculation is mounting around the yet-to-be revealed track listing.

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/mus...00707-zzzh.html

--------------------

pacestick
post Posted: Jun 18 2010, 11:06 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: swuzzlebubble's post @ Jun 18 2010, 10:53 AM

At least the dutch care about their children unlike others

swuzzlebubble
post Posted: Jun 18 2010, 10:53 AM
  Quote Post

* Middelburg, Netherlands (June 17, 2010) - Dutch judges on Thursday extended a ban delaying a 14-year-old schoolgirl's bid to become the youngest person to sail around the world solo. The district court at Middelburg in the southwestern Netherlands ruled that the safety risks for Laura Dekker were still too high. It granted an application by child protection services to keep Dekker under their supervision for an extra month until August 1. Judge Kuypers ordered another hearing to be held on July 20 to get the opinion of a sailing expert, an update on the teenager's emotional well-being, and to study a full plan for her trip. -- Full story:

http://tinyurl.com/2fdo9ba

--------------------

arty
post Posted: Jun 17 2010, 09:13 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Jun 11 2010, 08:40 PM

Hi J;
Either you're psychic, or it's a case of GMTA smile.gif
I certainly can relate to the concept of placing sufficient funds into a trust account. In another discussion, this was my suggestion:
I hope no insurance company will underwrite the risk - at least none that I intend to hold shares in.
I'd much prefer would-be adventurers to be obliged to deposit, say, $1M in a trust account in every country they come past that might be required to rescue them from the results of their folly. By all means, let them roll it forward as their journey progresses; so, once they're out of India's or Sri Lanka's waters and approach Australia's, close the account in the country they leave and roll the $1M forward to Australia. From there to New Zealand, etc...

Alternatively and/or in addition, get the international marine authorities to create a law that makes the country of origin responsible for the costs of rescue. I'm sure the signatory states will follow-up quick smart with laws of their own, making those kids repay any expenses they incurred. And given the profits they stand to make from interviews and pictorials in the likes of No Idea or Women's Daze, they could easily afford it.

Just consider little old Oz, tucked away in this corner of the world with Millions of square miles of open water where ships can/ will come to grief. Calculate square miles per head of population or per $ of GDP. Then compare the result to countries like UK - that idiot Bullimore came from there and needed us to rescue him. TWICE! Likewise that French woman ... And how many Yanks? Those countries have many times the number of nutters, and a commensurate surplus of $, compared to Australia. Yet they allow them to "test their limits" in our backyard and expect us to pay for their stupidity and under-preparedness.

Doesn't leave much to add. Oh: one thing: Would anybody know which one of our ministers is currently responsible for International Marine Law? (They change portfolios so quickly; I couldn't be bothered to keep track.) If I had an e-mail address, I'd be happy to send whichever "Right Honourable" a copy wink.gif

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

balance
post Posted: Jun 17 2010, 05:35 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: sirob's post @ Jun 17 2010, 12:52 PM

If you are old enough to leave school,home, legally get bonked and drive a motor car you are probabaly old enough to go sailing.There should of course be some tough conditions regarding what you sail and what with regarding safety equipment , vessel , insurance (if possible) etc.
14 is too young.You don't need to go around the world for a challenge.It is a headline grabber though.

People do amazing things, sometimes rather amazingly stupid things but we should not just let them rot because it costs $.

--------------------
Day Trader: Lowest form of life in the known universe.
Shorter: Can limbo under a day trader.
Investor: Salt of the Earth.Sits to the right of God (Warren Buffet)
Share prices are only ever manipulated down.
Paper losses are not really losses.
Chat site posters always know better & know more than anyone about anything.
I'm 29.
The cheque is in the mail.

6 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareScene.com, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING