Logo
Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome to ShareScene - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Australia's Sharemarket Community - New Here? Click To Register >

2 Pages (Click to Jump) V  < 1 2   

Reply to this topic

Windows 7, problems, solutions, general discussion
arty
post Posted: Dec 1 2009, 12:21 AM
  Quote Post

so far so good
could power up, authenticate and configure the box, but then, the first hiccup:

In order to connect to my home wifi, I had to add a wifi adapter.
The WG311 that I use in my XP boxes doesn't have a driver that's compatible with Win7. So I bought a USB plug.
Tested it on the old XP machine - works perfectly.
But - you guessed it - Win 7 doesn't like it. And the Troubleshooter comes up with this brilliant advice -
Problem discovered: Something may not work correctly. Search the Internet for an updated driver.

Just what I needed to know: In order to connect to the internet throught this gadget, they tell me to connect to the internet to find out how I can connect to the Internet. "d'Oh!"

PS -
Biggest joke: Searched the Internet for "TL-W321G", driver, "Windows 7". Got one (1) result linking to a German Linux Forum; the language isn't the problem, but the suggested solution is somewhat unexpected. The writer comes to the same conclusion that the adaptor works OK on "Windoof XP", but not on 7. Love the guy's sense of humour: "doof" is slang for what we'd call galah or drongo.
Oh so appropriate!

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

arty
post Posted: Nov 29 2009, 05:20 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: arty's post @ Nov 29 2009, 03:36 PM

Merging sent and received e-mails

I intend to use the (new) Mail program on the new computer, but I have all my Contract Notes already on the old one.
I intend to have at least this year's buy and sell orders current in one place. Live Mail offers an "import" facility, but there are a few gotchas.

Starting point: On my old Outlook Express, I have separate folders - one per Online Broker. I have for a long time been using "Message Rules" for Mail that said - for example - if a message comes from Commsec and has the words 'trade confirmation' in the subject line, move the entire message into a dedicated folder 'ContractNotes from Commsec'. (I've gone a step further and given Commsec an e-mail address unique to them - easy when your ISP lets you have several e-mail accounts. So, there are two message rules that are executed one after the other: 1. if it's from commsec and the 'To' line matches that account, I accept it into the folder and don't test any other rule; 2. if it's not from commsec, but sent to the address known only to Commsec, ditch it as SPAM.)

Back to the merging. In Live Mail, I'm setting up corresponding rules and folder structures, then I import from the old computer's Outlook folder all 'ContractNotes from Commsec' into Live Mail on the new system; the only silly detour MightyStuff came up with: They encapsulate the 'ContractNotes from Commsec' into a structure 'Imported Folder\Local Folders\ContractNotes from Commsec'. Easy way back: select the imported 'ContractNotes from Commsec', highlight all its contents (select the top one, scroll down to the bottom, and hold down the Shift key when clicking on the last one), and then drag and drop all of the messages into their intended place.

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

arty
post Posted: Nov 29 2009, 03:36 PM
  Quote Post

No more Mail program "Outlook Express"

In preparation for Windows 7, I've looked over the Internet and found the first "issue": Microsoft has abandoned Outlook.
In its place, they've created "Windows Live" with lots of bells and whistles that open your PC up to the world.

In preparation, I've installed it on my XP machine; after all, it's been around a few years now, so it's already working on XP and Vista.

Here are a few observations - together with my concerns, which you may, but don't have to, share.
All I'm after is a mail program that lets me send and receive emails conveniently, orderly, and safely.
Windows Live seems to offer that - but it tries to persuade us to do much more:
  • store our e-mails on MS servers
  • draw us into a global Messenger network
  • get us to chat with one another
  • make us share "stuff" with friends and strangers
  • tell us when people are online (and tell everybody when we are online...)
  • keep a diary for us
OK, maybe that's the trend for the Britney Spears generation, who don't care whether the world knows what brand of knickers they're wearing or if they do. When I work on trades or update my portfolio or concentrate on a post like this - I don't need the interruption from some twit that wishes to Twitter me; nor do I want anybody to know that I can receive a message right now. Least of all am I keen on Microsoft to have my e-mails and contact lists on their servers.

But as soon as I installed the Windows Live application, I was invited to login to the network or, as I didn't login, to register. This stupid applet keeps popping up everytime I start the PC. Quite annoying, given that all I want is my e-mail.

Solution for Windows XP:
Control Panel -> Software Explorers -> highlight "Windows Live" and disable or remove it
It still lets me run the Windows Live Mail program.

Conversion Tip:
If you have an extensive address book on your PC, export it into a WAB. Live Mail is pretty good at importing WABs.
(It gave me a cue to quickly go through the addressbook and clean it up before exporting it.)

--------------------

arty
post Posted: Nov 29 2009, 03:07 PM
  Quote Post

It's coming, whether we like it or not: Windows 7 is here and here to stay. It won't be long, and every new PC will have it.
We might as well get used to it, change the way we do things, and exchange ideas how to avoid pitfalls while getting things done.

Rather than lose pertinent contributions in the general "Computer Issues" thread, I thought a dedicated Topic was justified.
So please join in and share your experience, gripes, and solutions you've found.

(I'll get my new PC pre-loaded with W7 tomorrow. That may create quite a few initial "contributions" ...)

--------------------

2 Pages (Click to Jump) V  < 1 2

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareScene.com, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING