Logo
Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome to ShareScene - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Australia's Sharemarket Community - New Here? Click To Register >

2 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 >   

Reply to this topic

Operating Systems Poll, What OS are you using?
Operating System
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 53
Guests cannot vote 
balance
post Posted: Nov 2 2009, 08:04 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: forrestgump's post @ Nov 2 2009, 07:28 PM

pc's are now an everyday consumer tool and are powerful and fast enough to meet average user needs.In fact far above what most people could possibly utilise.They just want the thing to work and Vista has a bad rap.
xp3 works ok.

--------------------
Day Trader: Lowest form of life in the known universe.
Shorter: Can limbo under a day trader.
Investor: Salt of the Earth.Sits to the right of God (Warren Buffet)
Share prices are only ever manipulated down.
Paper losses are not really losses.
Chat site posters always know better & know more than anyone about anything.
I'm 29.
The cheque is in the mail.

flower
post Posted: Nov 2 2009, 08:00 PM
  Quote Post

"If it aint broke--dont fix it"

--------------------
Combining Fundamental comments with Fundamental charts.

arty
post Posted: Nov 2 2009, 07:48 PM
  Quote Post

It's interesting how many people are still using Windows XP.
At least, since SP3 we know it's reasonably stable and usable. Not purrfect, but you know which functions to avoid and what to do if they don't. There's also a pretty comprehensive set of useful (and mostly FREE) add-ons available that make some functions work better and/or safer.

Vista, on the other hand - some good ideas to improve safety, albeit mostly in areas that should've been designed with more safety in mind from the beginning. But it's soo clutzy and slow, not to mention the new "standards" that force distributors of software packs to change methods of delivery; extremely annoying, when you try to support the same package on different platforms.

Haven't seen W7 yet. Would be interested in a report re: functionality, speed, memory needs...

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

forrestgump
post Posted: Nov 2 2009, 07:28 PM
  Quote Post

It's interesting how many people are still using Windows XP.

That and the high number of people that will only move to W7 when they buy a new PC tends to confirm my own thoughts that most of we "users" don't really care too much about having the "latest and greatest OS" - we just want to use our computer to get a job done. Microsoft may think that the world revolves around them but they are sorely mistaken. It's a different world than it was in the 80's and 90s.

--------------------
Peace
Fforrest

Try to be as good a person as your dog thinks you are.

Mags
post Posted: Nov 2 2009, 05:49 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: balance's post @ Nov 2 2009, 03:47 PM

Balance, if you are interested in trying linux, many versions (Distro's or distributions are what most people call a 'version' of linux) of linux are now available in a live cd. What this means is that you can put the cd, restart your computer and it will run the linux on the cd. Of course it is a little slow running off a cd, but gives you an idea how it 'feels'.

As for how it looks, well the beauty of linux is that there are usually multiple different ways of achieving the same thing. For example regarding the way the system looks and feels, there are heaps of different types of DE's (display environment). There is KDE for beauty and total control in the users hands, GNOME for those who want a pretty display, but with less configurability, then there are others that focus on being light on resources (got an old spare pc? they can rocket with a copy of linux on them). These are so light that you can get away with like 128kb ram sometimes....vista wont install unless it has 4X that much! Infact I have linux installed on my Xbox, and that only has 64mb ram.

Hard core linux users dont even use a DE, they use the command line, just like the old DOS days. They can still browse the web, but with out pictures and the like.

The real strength of linux is its stability. So stable that NASA use it in their mission critical systems. True, google it and you will see they run Red Hat linux. In fact my friend is state manager of a listed internet provider company and they use a distro called CENTOS (Community ENTerprise Operating System), to run their entire operation. They download CENTOS for free....Not one penny on software...of course their techs write software when it's needed, but by and large it runs on free software.

If you only browse the web and use regular programs such as spreadsheets and word processors then Linux is a viable option. There are thousands of free programs on the web for linux, you can pretty well get what ever you need. Sometimes you cant. For example I have an adaptor to read the fault codes in my car, the software is windows only. It may run under WINE but I haven't tried...Why? Because my laptop has windows and Linux on it....I only run the windows when I need it smile.gif

I am a member of an unofficial distro forum, and they have been able to help me sort out any problems I have had. When I built my current pc I stupidly bought components that were cutting edge, only just released. Unfortunately the drivers weren't out either in linux or windows...It worked, but not the full functions of the motherboard. It took about 6 months, but it's perfect now. This was my first pc build and they helped me through it.

There are thousands of linux forums, and they are usually always willing to help. Sure if you join a forum for experienced users eg. Arch or Gentoo, then yes you will probably run into some hostility, but by and large we all want to help others.

Most people would recommend Ubuntu, Mandriva, Fedora, Mint or pclinuxos. I'm fond of Mandriva, has great tools for configuring the system. For those that don't know Ubuntu is very popular, it is backed by substantial money, but still free to the community.

If your really interested, read up on how to dual boot. Dual boot means running two or more Operating systems on the same computer. It's a little scary, but easy, and most forums will be more than willing to help you. If you dont like Linux, delete it and you still have windows...Like linux, but sometimes cant do what you need? You still have windows.....

Linux gives you power and flexibility that windows has never, and probably will never, give you as the owner of your pc. With my latest laptop I couldn't burn a backup disc should the hard disk die or I kill windows....A few posts in a forum, I had the laptop running linux off a usb drive and a full copy of the hard disk recovery section burnt...Windows wouldn't let me do that, but Linux gave me the power to do it simply.

Hope this helps a bit.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: balance  kelt  

athex
post Posted: Nov 2 2009, 04:39 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: balance's post @ Nov 2 2009, 03:47 PM

Hi Balance. Can't go into depth re Linux as I'm very much a novice but some years ago I started trying the various Distros mostly with some disappointment.but time has passed and Linux has improved leaps and bounds.
I now use Linux Mint which is a spin off from Ubuntu and now wouldn't change except perhaps to Ubuntu.

I use Firefox and do all my finance business online without constant alerts. pop ups .security problems etc,
There is a software called "Wine" which allows many Windows programs to run in Linux and this and many other programs are easily installed online with minimum effort

To have a look at Linux distros go to http://distrowatch.com/

I like it and its free

Said 'Thanks' for this post: balance  kelt  

balance
post Posted: Nov 2 2009, 03:47 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: Mags's post @ Nov 1 2009, 11:31 PM

I must admit to being totally ignorant of what linux can offer, what it does etc.I do know it is a free open source op system but beyond that...nuthin'.

If anyone could elaborate perhaps you could spare a post or 10 educating me?
Here or maybe on the "Computer Issues and Problems" board?

How would my pc / lappy operate and "look" ?

Will linux just step to and replace any windows op system and work, open files,view videos, pic's, emails,mp3s and so on without getting 50 drivers/updates for every *&^%$3 bit of hardware or software I ever installed?

In short , can a pc ignoramus install and use it? ( of course I'm talking about a theoretical someone else hypocrite.gif )

--------------------
I'm 29.

forrestgump
post Posted: Nov 2 2009, 07:58 AM
  Quote Post

More responses required.

--------------------
Peace
Fforrest

Try to be as good a person as your dog thinks you are.

Mags
post Posted: Nov 1 2009, 11:31 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: forrestgump's post @ Nov 1 2009, 08:35 PM

Others may include the BSD family I suppose smile.gif

I'm a linux user. Main reason for using open source/free software is I got caught with MS changing their formats, I have files from school and Tafe that I now have trouble opening. At least with open source, the formats might change, but the old formats are still supported.

And my current desktop may have crashed once in over 12 months...Thats linux for ya..Rock solid..

But that said, my partner has Vista on her laptop and to be honest I cant see what all the complaints are about. We bought it, hooked it up to the net, done it's updates and its been fine ever since.

It still seems the same as it was 5 years ago. Windows for the masses, Mac's for those who want more from their PC and linux for those who don't mind getting involved with their pc.

balance
post Posted: Nov 1 2009, 08:47 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: forrestgump's post @ Nov 1 2009, 08:35 PM

That, my friend forrest was a cock-up from moi. blush.gif
should have been "other windows".

--------------------
I'm 29.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: kinetik  

2 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 >

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareScene.com, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING