Logo
Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome to ShareScene - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Australia's Sharemarket Community - New Here? Click To Register >

3 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 >   

Reply to this topic

Metastock, Help
mosaic1996
post Posted: Nov 25 2009, 06:28 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nohoper's post @ Nov 25 2009, 06:02 PM

Hi NH,

Thanks for your help. I thought that it was MetaStock, but clearly I was mistaken/mislead. I will try the support people at Stock Doctor

Cheers,
Mosaic

nohoper
post Posted: Nov 25 2009, 06:02 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mosaic1996's post @ Nov 25 2009, 05:20 PM

M,

Sorry, I was assuming you are using Metastock.

I was using x1 to illustrate how to use the "security" function in ms prog language. It is just a variable assigned with the closing value © of XJO, represented by the physical location reference "C:/ASX/XJO", where ASX is the directory where the stock file is stored.

I don't think the stuff you have coded are "plain" metastock prog language. I suspect it is probably some kind of routine or function that is built with the ms prog language. and the "Studies" function does not recognise X1 probably it is expecting a "fixed' variable/constant as in the case of "OHLC". I am not sure if directly replacing X1 will work or not...

"Studies.ROC(Close,12,0)" - "Studies.ROC(FML('XJO','C'),12,0)"; ** does it accept placing the FML function directly into Studies?

Sorry, can't help much here if it doesn't work.

--------------------
Do not speak - unless it improves on silence. Quack if you agree... quack!

Said 'Thanks' for this post: mosaic1996  

mosaic1996
post Posted: Nov 25 2009, 05:20 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nohoper's post @ Nov 25 2009, 04:40 PM

Hi Nohoper,

I was told that the Stock Doctor charting package used MataStock programming language, but I am not so sure now. Is says EasyChart in the error messages (compilation and runtime, runtime in the current example).

I can get the closing price for the other company/index using
X1:=FML('XJO','C');
I can use
"Studies.ROC(Close,12,0)"
to plotROC for the charted compnay, but if I try (my guess of the equivalent of your suggestion)
"Studies.ROC(Close,12,0)" - "Studies.ROC(X1,12,0)";

I get an error message that x1 does not exist.

Does the stuff I have coded look like MetaStock (I suspect not)?

It may be that X1 is not an array, and only a single variable.

Cheers,
Mosaic

nohoper
post Posted: Nov 25 2009, 04:40 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mosaic1996's post @ Nov 25 2009, 04:07 PM

In metastock, there's a function - "security" which you can use to refer an external stock, XJO in your case. The format:

x1:=Security("c:\asx\xjo",C);

ROC(C,13) -ROC(x1,13); {--- this is what you want}

Cheers.

--------------------

mosaic1996
post Posted: Nov 25 2009, 04:07 PM
  Quote Post

G'day all,

I am looking to program a relative strength indicator. Whilst I have a programming background, I am having trouble getting started.

As an example, I may want to plot the outperformance of a Company vs an Index, e.g., plot ROC(C,13) [for company A] minus ROC(C,13) [for say XJO].

Plotting price for CompanyA, ROC refers to CompanyA. Can I get a ROC value for XJO?

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers,
Mosaic

BSA
post Posted: Oct 15 2009, 06:24 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: tideishigh's post @ Oct 15 2009, 04:35 PM

If you need help setting it up let me know.

Cheers

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: tideishigh  

nohoper
post Posted: Oct 15 2009, 05:20 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: tideishigh's post @ Oct 15 2009, 04:35 PM

t,

Looking forward to them.

Cheers.

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: tideishigh  

tideishigh
post Posted: Oct 15 2009, 04:35 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: BSA's post @ Oct 14 2009, 09:31 PM

I trotted off to my friendly computer man this morning and explained the problem, he said what you said, the link to 20/20 on cnet had been hijacked. He very kindly found another site and downloaded the program onto a flash drive for me. So you may have to watch out I might blind you and NH with a blizzard of charts! T

BSA
post Posted: Oct 14 2009, 09:31 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: tideishigh's post @ Oct 14 2009, 08:17 PM

All good, does not matter how long it took, I bet you know your way around the PC, Metastock and Bohdi Freeway a little better now than three days ago, so thats a real plus despite the pain smile.gif
It also shows the importance of having back up systems in place.

Yes that was where I was heading(corrupt), "Perhaps the template and smart charts have been corrupted?? I'm not sure just shooting the breeze as have not encountered this prob before."
I should mention that I did have corrupted Smart Charts once(but had forgotten) and you can actually delete them all and reopen with a new template, but of course a procedure needs to be followed.

Sorry about the 20/20 I did not check the link and it seems to hijack you away from Cnet,....the Irfan View mentioned by Nohoper, is likely good and even though from the same download source(Cnet) it allows you to down load with out being hijacked??

Cheers

--------------------

tideishigh
post Posted: Oct 14 2009, 08:17 PM
  Quote Post

NH & BSA ... I've fixed it! Not being very computer literate it took me three days!! (how pathetic is that?) to work out that the data folder with the indices in was corrupted. I renamed the rotten folder and then copied the uncorrupted folder from my backup computer to the main computer and hey presto! all fixed.
I would like to thank you both so much for your help .. when you are swearing horribly and feeling so useless with a computer problem it is very comforting to know there are people out there on SS who are ready to try and help in any way they can.
By the way BSA I tried to download 20/20 but without much luck.. I was bombarded with all sorts of offers that I couldn't work out what button to press to download the freebee!
Thanks again T

3 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 >

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareScene.com, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING