Logo
Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome to ShareScene - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Australia's Sharemarket Community - New Here? Click To Register >

138 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

NEWS PAPER OR MEDIA ARTICLES, ANYTHING INTERESTING
nipper
post Posted: Jan 12 2017, 11:43 AM
  Quote Post

For a number of reasons, there has arisen in the media:

. . . a system that needs more and more eyeballs for longer periods of time while gutting high-quality, reliable sources of information. We have more "news" but less original reporting than ever before, an order of magnitude more in the way of opinion and analysis, but as [author and academic] Tom Nichols has pointed out, somehow less expertise.

Chuck Klosterman [a writer on American culture] once remarked at how strange it was to walk through the front offices of a football team and find that everyone there was watching ESPN. Didn't they have better information than the average viewer or reporter? Turns out, no – they're addicted to the same media we are and subject to the same groupthink. . . .

Twitter isn't designed to help you get in and out with the best information as quickly as possible – it's supposed to suck you into either a contentious world of argument and debate or an echo chamber that reassures you everyone thinks like you do. . . .

We're "participating" in the ecosystem because it's addicting and because we're curious.

.............It's not that I am going underground or completely disconnecting from current events. It's that I have decided I am no longer going to watch them develop in real time. I'm going to watch the Saints play every Sunday, [but] I'm not going to fool myself into thinking that tuning into "Sports Center" on Tuesday will help.

.....................If you wish to improve," Epictetus [first-century Greek philosopher] once said, "be content to appear clueless or stupid in extraneous matters." One of the most powerful things we can do as a human being in our hyperconnected, 24/7 media world is say: "I don't know." Or more provocatively, "I don't care." Not about everything, of course – just most things. Because most things don't matter, and most news stories aren't worth tracking.

, "Want to Really Make America Great Again? Stop Reading the News." by Ryan Holiday, - talking about what it's like to be caught up in the news cycle. The Observer, November 16, 2016

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time."
- Dr John Hussman

“If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions.” ― Michel de Montaigne

Said 'Thanks' for this post: Pendragon  

frodo
post Posted: Dec 23 2016, 02:49 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Dec 22 2016, 03:32 PM

MERRY XMAS EVERYONE WHO STILL HAS SOME MONEY AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO THOSE THAT HAVENT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnwFWp3CO3A

Said 'Thanks' for this post: triage  arty  Pendragon  

nipper
post Posted: Dec 23 2016, 09:59 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Dec 22 2016, 03:32 PM

of course, you could be thinking, this is confirmation of The Asian Century, as other obvious examples are missing:
Boston - New York
New York - Washington
LA - San Francisco
London - Paris
Moscow - St Petersburg
....... or a myriad others

But it could be because these have better infrastructure (fast trains - Channel Tunnel and most of continental Europe for eg), multiple airports (JFK, La Guardia for New York; Heathrow, Gatwick, City and Luton for London; CDG and Orly for Paris) and have made the investment.
(not alluding to #4 on original list, no sir)

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time."
- Dr John Hussman

“If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions.” ― Michel de Montaigne

nipper
post Posted: Dec 22 2016, 03:32 PM
  Quote Post

The world's busiest air routes
  1. Jeju International - Seoul Gimpo International - 6,561,314 journeys
  2. Sapporo New Chitose - Tokyo Haneda - 6,209,366
  3. Fukuoka - Tokyo Haneda - 5,961,277
  4. Melbourne - Sydney Kingsford Smith - 5,067,167
  5. Taipei Taiwan Taoyuan International - Hong Kong International - 4,146,547
  6. Delhi - Mumbai - 4,143,639
  7. Ho Chi Minh City - Hanoi - 4,141,322
  8. Beijing Capital International - Shanghai Hongqiao International - 3,962,081
  9. Surabaya - Jakarta Soekarno-Hatta - 3,849,866
  10. Tokyo Haneda - Okinawa Naha - 3,784,546
(So where is Jeju, and why are so many rushing to see it? It's the capital of an island, Jejudo, which might just be the most popular holiday destination you've never heard of. Unesco-listed, and billed as South Korea's answer to Hawaii, it's home to dramatic volcanic landscapes, underground caves, hiking trails and scenic beaches.)

--------------------
- Dr John Hussman

Said 'Thanks' for this post: Pendragon  arty  

nipper
post Posted: Dec 12 2016, 10:16 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: Pendragon's post @ Dec 12 2016, 10:06 AM

I think therein lies the reality. There's always been misinformation, jingoism, propaganda, softening up, playing to the crowd, group think, confirmation bias, emotions over-ruling deductive thought, etc ... and just plain dumbness on an industrial scale.

The new paradigm is just housed in different architecture. Coping with the rate of change is a challenge.

--------------------
- Dr John Hussman

Said 'Thanks' for this post: Pendragon  arty  

Pendragon
post Posted: Dec 12 2016, 10:06 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: alonso's post @ Dec 12 2016, 09:34 AM

Trust me - I am an old computer programmer.

Now I sell used cars - all driven by little old ladies once a week to church.

Ok - for real. I used to be a programmer and later an analyst in the policy planning unit of a government department. I did prepare press releases for the department and occasionally put in
'porkies' to get the public thinking 'the right way.'

Does anybody else see the relationship between high frequency trading and allowing computers to determine what is real and what is not?? Read Michael Lewis Flash Boys. Interesting.

arty
post Posted: Dec 12 2016, 09:47 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: alonso's post @ Dec 12 2016, 09:34 AM

But who will tell the computers how to work it out?

A truly intelligent analyst will know. Whether the intelligence is artificial or natural should hardly matter. biggrin.gif

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

alonso
post Posted: Dec 12 2016, 09:34 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Dec 12 2016, 07:43 AM

OMG nipper, the computers are going to work out for us when we should believe what we read and when we shouldn't.
But who will tell the computers how to work it out?

--------------------
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true"

"What is prudence in the conduct of every private family can scarce be folly in that of a great kingdom." Adam Smith

nipper
post Posted: Dec 12 2016, 07:43 AM
  Quote Post

ASIC seeks AI solution as share markets rattled by Facebook fake news fears

by Rachael Bolton
ASIC chairman Greg Medcraft has said its new artificial intelligence software will be targeted at rooting out fake news on social media, as concerns rise that it is already being used to manipulate the share market. Mr Medcraft, told The Australian Financial Review that ASIC's recently announced push to to use artificial intelligence to detect rogue market behaviour, would include a focus on people creating fake news to circulate on social media, aimed at pumping up stocks.

The issue of bogus news stories on social media received wide attention, following assertions that it had a significant impact on the recent US Presidential race. However experts warned Australian investors are already facing the problem of deciphering the real from the made-up online.

"ASIC is rapidly moving into the use of advance technology methods to detect aberrant behaviour, including breaches of the law, at an earlier stage," Mr Medcraft told The Financial Review, when asked about the use of fake news as a market manipulation tool. "This is in addition to detecting such behaviour after the fact and seeking to take punitive or compensatory action."

Mr Medcraft said the threat raised by digital market manipulation was real and that the new suite of technologies in use and under development would help build a more "pre-emptive" system and improve the market's "cyber resilience".

​Under its plans advanced data analytics will be employed to improve the ability to accurately predict market movements and therefore detect market manipulation and other criminality in real time.

"ASIC will be able to move quickly, to the point of proactively intervening as the market events occur," Mr Medcraft said. "The sophisticated use of data matching and better analysis of trading patterns means ASIC can identify the likely leak of confidential information, and pair it to the suspect trades, and also follow the trail of any market manipulation back to the perpetrator and beneficiary."

Australasian Investor Relations Association chief executive Ian Matheson, however warned that it would be difficult to track down and police culprits offshore, and that the problem had been rising in recent years.

"Just after the Global Financial Crisis there was a bumper of false rumours relating to the share market and listed companies put into the market, particularly by offshore hedge funds," Mr Matheson said. "A number of these were reported to ASIC and they set up a rumour hotline. I'm not sure if it's been used a lot since that time but it's certainly a concern to listed companies that false information can be fed into the mainstream media through the ether – through social media."

Mr Matheson warned there may be no way to properly protect against false company news, and said companies would come under increased pressure to quickly set the record straight about rumours. He said commodities trading on a spot price were the most exposed to potential manipulation by fake news.

Professor Axel Bruns from the Queensland University of Technology Digital Media Research Centre said the problem wasn't purely about social media, but rather a new trend towards the legitimisation of "new-age propaganda".

"We saw it with Brexit as well, where they said millions of pounds would come back to the NHS – that was an outright lie and was later proven as such. The same happened with Donald Trump in the US: mainstream media is overwhelmed trying to fact check and test all these claims," Mr Bruns said. "Whatever anyone says can be reported and shared on social media almost immediately without giving journalists any time to fact check."

Read more: http://www.afr.com/technology/social-media...0#ixzz4SZI600QO

--------------------
- Dr John Hussman

Said 'Thanks' for this post: arty  

nipper
post Posted: Dec 9 2016, 05:50 PM
  Quote Post

In the movie Jurassic Park, scientists extract dinosaur DNA from the bellies of prehistoric mosquitoes preserved in amber. Now researchers have done away with the middle man.

Palaeontologists have found the feathered tail of a 99 million-year-old dinosaur encased in a piece of amber at a jewellery market in Myanmar. The discovery, outlined today in the journal Current Biology, marks the first confirmed find of a dinosaur fossil trapped in the resin.

It is also the first time scientists have been able to observe intact dinosaur feathers, gleaning vital clues about their structure and colour. Co-author Ryan McKellar said while amber ­pieces could capture only “tiny snapshots” of ancient critters, they were invaluable. “They record microscopic ­details, three-dimensional arrange­ments and labile tissues that are difficult to study in other settings,” said Dr McKellar, of the Royal Saskatchewan Museum in Canada.

In this piece of amber, we ­finally have skeletal remains that allow us to pin down the source animal and say that we are dealing with a dinosaur,” Dr McKellar told The Australian.

CAT scans and microscope studies revealed the 4cm-long tail was flexible, not fused like a bird’s. The team believes it comes from a juvenile coelurosaur, a huge dinosaur group that included the tyrannosaurs.

--------------------
- Dr John Hussman

138 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareScene.com, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING