Logo
Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome to ShareScene - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Australia's Sharemarket Community - New Here? Click To Register >

120 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

NEWS PAPER OR MEDIA ARTICLES, ANYTHING INTERESTING
mullokintyre
post Posted: May 9 2015, 02:10 PM
  Quote Post

Save Asia Bibi from execution in Pakistan
Her crime? She allegedly insulted the Prophet Muhammad during a squabble with her workmates over a glass of water. Asia Bibi does not belong in jail and she certainly does not deserve to die.

Demand Asia Bibi’s immediate and unconditional release.

Kept in almost total isolation since she was first arrested back in 2009, Asia Bibi fears for her life. In December 2010, a prominent Islamic cleric offered half a million Pakistani rupees (more than AUD $5,000) to anyone who killed her. More recently, religious groups have demanded her execution.

The danger is so real it’s possible the court rejected Asia Bibi's appeal out of fear for their own safety.

Amnesty International

So where are all the candles, the vigils, the tears, the tweets from celebrities??
Why are they not demanding the arrest of the Cleric offering money for someone to murder her?
Oh wait, she wasn't an Australian drug smuggler.
And she wasn't implicated by the AFP.

Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  Alethia  

mullokintyre
post Posted: May 9 2015, 12:43 PM
  Quote Post

In filings in Judge Moro’s court, prosecutors have named 16 companies that allegedly formed a cartel to fix Petrobras contracts between 2006 and 2014. The list includes some of Brazil’s largest construction and engineering firms, including Camargo Correa, OAS, UTC Engenharia, and the biggest of them all, Construtora Norberto Odebrecht. All of these companies deny being part of a cartel, except Camargo Correa, which declined to comment.Petrobras says it knew nothing about the bid rigging and is “collaborating” with authorities in the investigation. As to whether it was the victim of a cartel, “the company is certain,” Mario Jorge Silva, Petrobras’s executive manager for performance, said at an April 22 news conference. In financial filings, Petrobras says 199.6 billion reais’ worth of contracts were rigged by the alleged cartel.

Thi s is quite a long piece outlining Brazils troubles.
Makes fascinating reading. Just for instance, 199.6 billion reals is about $US66.5 billion. Not bad money if you can get it.
And I wouldn't mind betting that petrobas is just an example of one of many such Brazilian cartels.

bloombergs

Mick

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: triage  

henrietta
post Posted: May 8 2015, 08:28 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: arty's post @ May 8 2015, 08:07 AM

I really think that the "research" is a complete wank, and just helps the professors to keep their " publish or perish" performance up. When they start questioning advantages and disadvantages of social class, economic class etc, where do you stop? Of course there are differences ...... every single child has a unique upbringing and there are an infinite number of ways that they can be affected.
I suppose that the ABC should present these issues for people to think about and debate, but my objection was their rather sensationalist headlines and introduction. If you just read the ABC headline, you would be sadly misled.

I'm sure there are worthwhile programs on the ABC , but in my view, the ABC generally has become " political " , instead of being an impartial provider of information and entertainment.

Good to have this discussion.

Cheers
J

alonso
post Posted: May 8 2015, 10:32 AM
  Quote Post

Apropos the ABC generally, I have to say I find a lot of interesting stuff on RN podcasts, in particular Counterpoint, Saturday Extra, LNL, Law Report, Life Matters, Earshot, Conversations with Richard Fidler. You need to be selective of course according to interest & taste.
As for ABC News & Current Affairs, well it just has to be one of those stops along the way, like window shopping.

--------------------
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true"

"What is prudence in the conduct of every private family can scarce be folly in that of a great kingdom." Adam Smith

Said 'Thanks' for this post: triage  opptimistic  

arty
post Posted: May 8 2015, 08:07 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ May 8 2015, 07:37 AM

Google "should parents read to their children"
One result: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/...2-1227335151442

But a better link, directly to ABC, paints a far less sensationalist picture:
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/progra...-values/6437058
It tells about two (2) "Philosophy Professors", who have "thought about" the issue.

I don't think parents reading their children bedtime stories should constantly have in their minds the way that they are unfairly disadvantaging other people's children, but I think they should have that thought occasionally.

and further down (my bolds):
This devilish twist of evidence surely leads to a further conclusion—that perhaps in the interests of levelling the playing field, bedtime stories should also be restricted. In Swift’s mind this is where the evaluation of familial relationship goods goes up a notch.‘You have to allow parents to engage in bedtime stories activities, in fact we encourage them because those are the kinds of interactions between parents and children that do indeed foster and produce these [desired] familial relationship goods.’

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

Said 'Thanks' for this post: triage  

triage
post Posted: May 8 2015, 07:37 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ May 7 2015, 01:55 PM

J

Just out of interest, can you provide a link to that article please.

These days I rarely even glance at ABC tv news and current affairs - although I think Kerry O'Brien has got four corners back to near where it should be, and I think Insiders can be useful sometimes - and I struggle to get through most ABC radio news bulletins without changing stations, so I am no great fan of what I see is the ABC's constant sophism and spin (it's all relative of course, I do not watch any commerical tv news and current affairs and do not read anything from the two local newspaper groups).

Nevertheless I think the suggestion or even the question that children should not be read to being used as a means to even up the disadvantage to go very much against the grain for most of the chatty, bookish folk who work at aunty. Moreover the way the quote you provided reads suggests that it was almost an official policy of the organisation and not simply some throw-away line from a journalist or commentator who was struggling to find something interesting or thought provoking to say.

The suggestion itself of course is as absurd as it would be to suggest all kids are fed on junk food and are prevented from doing any exercise so that none of them benefit from better health later on in life.

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

mullokintyre
post Posted: May 8 2015, 06:02 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: chukk's post @ May 8 2015, 12:42 AM

The problem I have is why the ABC journalist didn't write that they did at least ask the obvious question as to why the rather odd route.

Mick

--------------------

chukk
post Posted: May 8 2015, 12:42 AM
  Quote Post

I think it's a bit unfair to bag the ABC over the balloon story. Sure, they have rehashed a NASA press release, but what they have described is what NASA say they are doing.

http://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-det...tralian-outback

Mags
post Posted: May 7 2015, 04:46 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ May 7 2015, 01:55 PM

I used to be a fan of the ABC. Over the last ten years or so I have virtually stopped listening to anything from the ABC , and viewing almost nothing as well.
No doubt the sort of thing highlighted below has contributed.
Does anyone else think it's time to stop spending any public money on this bizarre establishment ?

Are you for real, parents reading to kids gives them an unfair advantage. Well, F34K me.

We really are being lead down a path to complete and total dumbing down of the populace.

I can not watch/listen to ABC, 5AA or any other 'current affairs' like program. As a small business owner, struggling to get stuff done, bills paid, customers satisfied etc.... I can't believe the stupidity from Canberra, LGA's and State governments..... Don't get me started on the 'poor me" stories that they put to air. My blood pressure is high enough with out listening to how hard it is to 'get by' on $100k.... So I just refuse to listen to it, and my day is far nicer.

mullokintyre
post Posted: May 7 2015, 03:11 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ May 7 2015, 02:04 PM

Howdy Henrietta,
I must admit to extreme annoyance sometimes with most of the news outlets, including the ABC.
However, I am not in Oz, and use the ABC to try to find out a little of whats happening.
They all give me the distinct impression that they just rehash press releases they are given.
You would think that a journalist with just a modicum of curiosity might have asked the bleedin obvious question as to why they are going such a circuitous route.

Mick

--------------------

120 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareScene.com, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING