Logo
Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome to ShareScene - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Australia's Sharemarket Community - New Here? Click To Register >

123 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

NEWS PAPER OR MEDIA ARTICLES, ANYTHING INTERESTING
mullokintyre
post Posted: Jul 4 2015, 07:53 AM
  Quote Post

Have the Americans finally worked out that here are already too many lawyers in the world??

This month, the American Bar Association provisionally accredited a new law school at Concordia University. More than 200 law schools are accredited in the U.S. An analysis of data from the ABA itself raises the question whether that list should be getting any longer.
Law schools exist for a lot of reasons, but a pretty important one is to prepare people to be lawyers. By that standard, a large handful of institutions seem to be failing. Last year, 10 law schools were unable to place more than 30 percent of their graduating class in permanent jobs that required passing the bar, according to ABA data. Those job numbers don't include positions that schools fund for their graduates or people who say they are starting their own practice.
At the University of Massachusetts School of Law, the American school with the worst job outcomes by this measure, just 22 percent of people who graduated in 2014 got those types of law jobs.
“We are a work in progress, and we need to improve our bar-pass rate and improve our employment, and I am not embarrassed about that,” says Mary Lu Bilek, the dean of U-Mass Law. Forty-two of the 60 U-Mass Law students who took the bar in February or July 2013 passed the test. The school counted 81 graduates in 2014. Bilek notes that the school's employment numbers have improved in recent years and says she doesn’t think it’s fair to discount people who have opted to do things with their J.D. besides become lawyers.
“The traditional elite jobs aren’t the jobs that our students generally want,” she says. “There’s not room for another law school that wants to have students who want to do that, because there aren’t enough jobs for that.”

Is it time to start shutting down law Schools??

Something we need to get to catch on here in OZ.

Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

mullokintyre
post Posted: Jul 4 2015, 07:24 AM
  Quote Post

One of the Issues with the "Greek Debt Crisis", is the possibility of contagion.
The theory that the failure of one bit player in a large group can be the catalyst for a lager domino effect.
The ECB is starting to prepare for the event.

The European Central Bank is set to extend a backstop facility to Bulgaria and is ready to assist other nations in the region to ward off contagion from Greece, according to people familiar with the situation.
The ECB would provide access to its refinancing operations, offering euros to the banking system against eligible collateral, the people said, asking to remain anonymous because the matter is confidential. The ECB and the Bulgarian central bank declined to comment.
Eastern Europe is at risk of tremors from Greece via ties ranging from trade to finance, with lenders from the debt-ridden country owning almost a third of banking assets in Bulgaria. The possibility of Greece abandoning the euro after shutting banks and imposing capital controls has left eastern European currencies among this week’s worst emerging-market performers.
“The threat of ‘Grexit’ has understandably cast a dark cloud over the outlook” for the region, London-based Capital Economics Ltd. said last week in a note. “Ties with Greece are sizable in a few places, including Bulgaria and Romania.”
Bulgaria and its banks have been a main focus of concern for European Union officials looking at potential fallout from the Greek crisis in the region, according to people familiar with their thinking. Yields on euro-denominated Bulgarian government debt due 2024 were little-changed at 3.15 percent Friday, having risen during the past week on Greek concerns.

Bulgaria next?

Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

arty
post Posted: Jul 3 2015, 08:17 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: balance's post @ Jul 1 2015, 08:42 AM

A contrarian view on Greece's influence on global markets:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-invest...ason-2015-06-29

According to the International Monetary Fund, Greece’s gross domestic product in 2014 amounted to only 0.26% of the total world GDP — one quarter of 1%, in other words. Countries whose GDP is larger than Greece’s include global economic “powerhouses” such as Bangladesh, Kazakhstan and Iraq. You read that right: Even war-torn Iraq, in the middle of a civil war, has a larger GDP than Greece.

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

nipper
post Posted: Jul 2 2015, 03:17 PM
  Quote Post

Orphan bubble wrap - no pop

Sealed Air Corp, the original seller of Bubble Wrap since 1960, is rolling out a revamped version of its signature product. Dubbed iBubble Wrap, the new packaging is sold in flat plastic sheets that the shipper fills with air using a custom-made pump.The inflated bubbles look much like traditional Bubble Wrap, with one key difference: They don't burst when pressure is applied.

North Carolina-based Sealed Air is betting iBubble Wrap will appeal to space-conscious online retailers who are driving swift growth in the global packaging business, even as fans are disappointed by the lack of pop.

Traditional Bubble Wrap ships in giant, pre-inflated rolls, taking up precious room in delivery trucks and on customers' warehouse floors. One roll of the new iBubble Wrap uses roughly one-fiftieth as much space before it's inflated.
Wall Street Journal

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time."
- Dr John Hussman

balance
post Posted: Jul 1 2015, 08:42 AM
  Quote Post

Finally it has happened officially. Greek crisis

--------------------
Day Trader: Lowest form of life in the known universe.
Shorter: Can limbo under a day trader.
Investor: Salt of the Earth.Sits to the right of God (Warren Buffet)
Share prices are only ever manipulated down.
Paper losses are not really losses.
Chat site posters always know better & know more than anyone about anything.
I'm 29.
The cheque is in the mail.

mistagear
post Posted: Jun 27 2015, 06:28 PM
  Quote Post

for any car enthusiasts,

The Goodwood Festival of Speed is being streamed live now and tomorrow.
go to www.goodwood.com and look for the FOS live Feed.

Enjoy

--------------------
------------------------
[url="http://xgamesbowling.com"]X Games Bowling[/url]
Bear Cottage is the first children's hospice in NSW.

It is a place where children with terminal illnesses and their families can stay from time to time and receive rest and medical care in a home-like environment.

Please support >>> Bear Cottage for Kids,
An initiative of the Children's Hospital at Westmead NSW
http://www.bearcottage.chw.edu.au/

www.xgamesbowling.com

alonso
post Posted: Jun 26 2015, 08:17 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: balance's post @ Jun 25 2015, 08:16 PM

What next? A prosthetic head to handle the breathalyzer?

--------------------
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true"

"What is prudence in the conduct of every private family can scarce be folly in that of a great kingdom." Adam Smith

Said 'Thanks' for this post: pacestick  mullokintyre  

balance
post Posted: Jun 25 2015, 08:16 PM
  Quote Post

Thought you'd heard everything huh?

The "lengths" people go to.

--------------------
I'm 29.

balance
post Posted: Jun 24 2015, 11:03 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ Jun 24 2015, 08:16 PM

Brockie had the morning slot on abc radio here in Sydney years ago. A good operator.I'm not a big Jones fan.

--------------------
I'm 29.

triage
post Posted: Jun 24 2015, 08:16 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: alonso's post @ Jun 24 2015, 09:58 AM

alonso

Closer to home than Russia Today I reckon for that format of program Jenny Brockie on the SBS Insight program runs rings around Tony Jones and Q&A. In fact I would rate Q&A a pale imitation of Insight and at a guess Q&A was probably only set up with Mr Jones when Ms Brockie would not return to the ABC to do her show there (she started off as an ABC reporter I think). Remember how auntie pinched the fantastic Movie Show's David and Margaret from SBS.

I don't watch that many Insight programs - I watch no Q&A as I think it is all pop current affairs verging on pure tabloidism and I find Tony Jones to be so obviously up himself - but from what I've seen she usually manages to get down into the nitty gritty of the topics she is covering. I'm sure she has had some fairly dodgey characters on some of her shows but she handles things so maturely that they generally are held in check.

In fact to borrow a line from Henry Higgins: why can't auntie be more like SBS? As I've said elsewhere, it can't be for a lack of money because SBS gets bugger all.

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

123 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareScene.com, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING