Logo
Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome to ShareScene - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Australia's Sharemarket Community - New Here? Click To Register >

111 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

NEWS PAPER OR MEDIA ARTICLES, ANYTHING INTERESTING
draughtsman
post Posted: Sep 12 2014, 08:54 PM
  Quote Post

Judge Thokozile Masipa sole judge in the Pistorius case finds in a unanimous decision .....

(As the judge read it out)

??

--------------------
draughtsman

You don't know what you don't know

wren
post Posted: Sep 11 2014, 12:33 PM
  Quote Post

From tThe Telegraph…
In the great jihadi funding bazaar that is the Gulf state of Kuwait, there’s a terror finance option for every pocket, from the private foundations dealing in tens of millions to the more retail end of the market. Give enough for 50 sniper bullets (50 dinars, about £110), promises the al-Qaeda and Islamic State-linked cleric tweeting under the name “jahd bmalk”, and you will earn “silver status”. Donate 100 dinars to buy eight badly needed mortar rounds, and he’ll make you a “gold status donor”.

As the jihadi funders hand out loyalty cards, the West has belatedly realised that some of its supposed friends in the Gulf have been playing the disloyalty card. Had Kuwait not been freed by American, British and allied troops in 1991, it would presumably now still be the “19th province” of Saddam Hussein’s Iraq. But the emirate has repaid the Western blood and treasure spent in its liberation by becoming, in the words of David Cohen, the US undersecretary for terrorism and financial intelligence, the “epicentre of funding for terrorist groups in Syria”.

Islamic State (Isil), with its newly conquered territory, oilfields and bank vaults, no longer needs much foreign money. But its extraordinarily swift rise to this point, a place where it threatens the entire region and the West, was substantially paid for by the allies of the West. Isil’s cash was raised in, or channelled through, Kuwait and Qatar, with the tacit approval and sometimes active support of their governments.

Though this has not yet been widely understood in Europe, it is no secret. Throughout 2013 and the earlier part of this year, on TV stations, websites and social media in Kuwait and Qatar, the jihadis openly solicited money for weapons and troops, much as charities in Britain might seek donations for tents and food. One of the main Oxfams of jihad is a group called the Kuwait Scholars’ Union (KSU), which ran a number of major fundraising drives, including the “Great Kuwait Campaign”, raising several million dollars for anti-aircraft missiles, rocket-propelled grenades and fighters. Some of the money went to Isil and some to the al-Qaeda front Jabhat al-Nusra, Isil’s ally until this February.

“By Allah’s grace and his success, the Great Kuwait Campaign announces the preparation of 8,700 Syrian mujahideen,” announced the KSU’s president, Nabil al-Awadi, in June 2013. “The campaign is ongoing until 12,000 are prepared.” The same year, the KSU ran the “Liberate the Coast” fundraising campaign to help pay for a sectarian massacre of hundreds of civilians in the Syrian port of Latakia. One of the KSU’s fundraisers, Shafi al-Ajmi, tweeted that the donations would go “to buy what is needed to expel the Safavids”, an insulting term for Shia. Last month, he was designated a funder of terrorism by the US.

alonso
post Posted: Sep 9 2014, 02:23 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ Sep 9 2014, 08:24 AM

It all seems a bit dodgy to me triage.
I'm Scots by birth and I don't get a vote. OK, I don't live there but neither do the Scots who live south of the border.
And neither do the English for that matter and its their Act of Union too.
I hope it doesn't end in tears and also that it doesn't bring a financial crisis.

--------------------
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true"

"What is prudence in the conduct of every private family can scarce be folly in that of a great kingdom." Adam Smith

alonso
post Posted: Sep 9 2014, 12:17 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: Alethia's post @ Sep 9 2014, 10:57 AM

"When I get a couple'a drennks on a Saturrday
Glasgow belongs to mae"
Wha Hey!

--------------------
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true"

"What is prudence in the conduct of every private family can scarce be folly in that of a great kingdom." Adam Smith

Alethia
post Posted: Sep 9 2014, 10:57 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ Sep 9 2014, 08:24 AM

My "non expert" opinion in the jump in the Scottish break away vote is simply the enormous popularity of the Outlander TV series.

I am not Scottish and even I have sympathy for the Scots and their old ways after watching the series. "Bloody English" laugh.gif

It is not available in Australia - yet. But if you can download a few episodes you will see what I mean. Beautifully done series as only the poms/scots can do and set in some of the most beautiful Highland country I have seen.

I am neutral. My wife is partly Scottish and my sister is married to a pom.

--------------------
The caterpillar does all the work but the butterfly gets all the publicity.

triage
post Posted: Sep 9 2014, 08:24 AM
  Quote Post

To give the upcoming Scottish referendum some historical context here is a piece about a catastrophic venture by the Scots that most likely a major reason why they agreed to become part of the UK in the first place: the Darien scheme.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darien_scheme

From what I can tell there seems to be pretty much a concensus amongst expert third parties that were the Scots to succeed in breaking away from the poms it would be a disaster, for them at least and perhaps for others as well. For example:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/08/opinion/...-heck.html?_r=1

It is funny how Uncle Vlad and his propaganda machine are apparently playing up the Scottish move for independence as being somehow the equivalence of what he and they are manoeuvering for in east Ukraine. I wonder whether he is covertly as active in this sphere as he most probably is in the "popular" movement against the development of shale using fracking (?). It certainly appears that the Scottish politican leading the debate for Scotland to go it alone has long been a Putin supporter.

This from 2012:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/315851/Mo...tabs-on-Salmond

and more recently:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-26...chael-Gove.html

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-...er-is-1-3533760

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

henrietta
post Posted: Aug 26 2014, 09:49 PM
  Quote Post

Norway has a sovereign fund, from north sea oil, of almost a TRILLION dollars ( US$800 billion ) . Australia has ?? from its mining boom ?
OK, but we have lots more multi-millionaire CEO's, so there !!

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-28882312

Cheers
J

ps Australia's Future Fund
http://www.futurefund.gov.au/

Alethia
post Posted: Aug 25 2014, 09:20 AM
  Quote Post

http://daviddegraw.org/peak-inequality-the...ent-of-society/

I found this an interesting read.

Actual US unemployment - 23% compared to official figures of 6%.

Seems that anything coming out of US Government is B***s**t.

The CPI is officially 2% but the actual cost of living has gone up well over 20% or much higher.

We should not shake our heads and say "silly Americans." Our CPI figures are similarly doctored. Probably not as bad, but bad enough not to reflect the true rise in prices and cost of living by a significant margin.

When you look at how the Greens Labor and significant others are stalling the budget, you wonder just how out of touch our government is also? And are we facing the same polarization that America has between Republicans and Democrats.
I noticed that in Qld the unions again stalled reforms and demanded a disproportionate say in any formation of a Labor Government. Union membership down to single figures yet they demanded and got a 50% say.
Seems to me that everything is circling the drain. Wonder how long before we all disappear down the drain. If you read the above article - it gives us 10 years .

--------------------

henrietta
post Posted: Aug 23 2014, 09:05 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: Alethia's post @ Aug 22 2014, 08:48 AM

The terms ‘ugg’, ‘ugh’ and ‘ug’ were finally removed from the Australian Register of Trademarks by IP Australia in April 2009, three years after the original decision (and lodgement of appeal/s by Decker).

Actually, the Australian Register has declared the term generic and allowable in Australia. There are plenty of Australian ugg boot makers, all legal. Outside Australia it's a different story.

Cheers
J

Alethia
post Posted: Aug 22 2014, 08:48 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Aug 22 2014, 07:22 AM

Mullokkintyre,

These US "Judges" have form. The iconic Australian Ugg Boots were declared American in a spurious commercial decision and the Australian company forced to change its name. Can't buy Australian Ugg boots in Australia called something else..

Judges Sans Frontières?

With the decline of American influence I think more and more people will show "American justice" the finger. Ferguson - a guy with his hands in the air shot 6 times??? At least put the cop who fired the shots under arrest. That would take the heat out of the situation and figger the rest out later.

--------------------

111 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareScene.com, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING