Logo
Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome to ShareScene - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Australia's Sharemarket Community - New Here? Click To Register >

146 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

NEWS PAPER OR MEDIA ARTICLES, ANYTHING INTERESTING
early birds
post Posted: Feb 15 2018, 10:18 AM
  Quote Post

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/ex-stu...8MzR?li=AAgfYrC

A 19-year-old gunman opened fire on Wednesday at a Florida high school he had previously been expelled from, killing 17 people before he was arrested by police, authorities said.
==================

sadsmiley02.gif weirdsmiley.gif

mullokintyre
post Posted: Feb 7 2018, 11:38 AM
  Quote Post

The decision to let a teenager who kicked a police officer in the head at a Melbourne shopping centre walk away from court without a conviction shows there are gaping holes in the state's sentencing laws, the police union says.

The teen was on parole when he attacked the policeman at Highpoint Shopping Centre on Boxing Day.

ABC NEWS

Without wanting to buy into the African gangs arguments, how is it possible that someone who is a out on parole
then kicks a policemen in the head manages to not only get bail after the kicking incident,, but get off without a conviction??
No wonder we have so many problems with domestic violence.
Violence seems to be acceptable now.

Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  dr_dazmo  BobE  Pendragon  

nipper
post Posted: Feb 7 2018, 09:26 AM
  Quote Post

https://jalopnik.com/elon-musk-actually-sho...dium=socialflow

Musk's Tesla launched to orbit (with space test dummy behind the wheel), has a Livestream

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

nipper
post Posted: Jan 12 2018, 07:46 AM
  Quote Post

Julian Assange granted Ecuadorean citizenship
- phew; now unable to stand for Parliament (enough clowns there already)

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

Said 'Thanks' for this post: arty  

triage
post Posted: Jan 12 2018, 07:04 AM
  Quote Post

Australia has two of the busiest domestic air routes in the world (Sydney - Melbourne is number 2 and Brisbane - Sydney is number 8) but the reality is that high speed rail links for those routes are not even on the drawing board. The dudes that have the Sydney airport monopoly must be pinching themselves with how that arrangement just fell into their laps.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/lists/bu...nd-south-korea/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/201...y-global-routes

maybe our leaders are showing great foresight in waiting for maglev or even Elon to come to our aid...

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Mozart fixes everything and Messi is a dog

henrietta
post Posted: Jan 8 2018, 01:50 PM
  Quote Post

About DFAT's spending on PR.

In 2016, the department was criticised for spending $215,000 flying 23 bureaucrats business class to Paris to discuss ways to save money.

Don't you love it ? Irony doesn't have any place in government department spending discussions obviously.

Cheers
J

triage
post Posted: Jan 3 2018, 07:10 AM
  Quote Post

Running through my morning reading list I found the juxtaposition of these two articles quite striking.

First off, we have a world leader who at least likes to give the impression that he is well-read, that he attempts to put current events into some sort of historical context. This is a bloke who is the son of one of the original leaders [edit: sorry not one of the eight immortals] of Communist China and who has devoted his whole life towards developing the skills and mindset required to provide leadership to a large chunk of humanity.

https://medium.com/shanghaiist/whats-new-on...ar-8d913dcc261f

Then we have a youngish New York real estate developer who brags about his lack of regard for what from the past has shaped what is happening now. He is the son of a felon jailed for back-stabbing his own family, someone who is devoted to getting ahead by whatever means he can, and who stumbled into a position of power through the woman he married.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/01/jared-kush...about-the-past/

I don't buy the view that we are seeing the rise of China and the demise of the USA - I think the yanks will reinvent themselves - but we are certainly living through a period when the Americans are being shaded by China.

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

triage
post Posted: Jan 2 2018, 04:40 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Jan 2 2018, 11:12 AM

What does that sentiment remind me of unsure.gif ... maybe this ...

"Stock prices have reached what looks like a permanently high plateau". Irving Fisher

That's the problem with straight line extrapolations: the trend is your friend until the end when it bends.

Thomas Malthus has copped heaps of stick over the last couple of centuries for his finite commodities theory but I remember reading somewhere that he was not totally convinced about the theory himself and his writing in part was an attempt to get some balance to economic debate which at the time was being dominated by rabid panglossians - but a bit like in footy it was the reaction rather than the initial action that ended up getting all the attention.

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Jan 2 2018, 11:12 AM
  Quote Post

[A] big question mark over [any] forecast is whether the planet itself can sustain continued economic growth. Much depends on what this growth looks like. If it means burning more fossil fuels, consuming ever greater raw materials and intensively cultivating more land, we are in trouble.

Thankfully, economic growth is decoupling from resource use — not everywhere and not in every respect, but broadly enough to give reason for hope. In the UK, for example, energy consumption per person peaked in 1973.

We need smarter environmental regulations, but even without them, pure profit-seeking pushes producers to achieve more by using less. This is highlighted in Jesse Ausubel's 2015 report, "Nature Rebounds", which documents the increasing efficiency with which the US uses farmland, water and energy. In some cases — not all — the efficiency gains are so great that absolute use of these resources is in decline even while economic growth continues.

None of this would be enough if the world's population was still booming at the rates that caused alarm in the 1960s. But it is not; population growth has been in steady decline for half a century. If the number of people on the planet stabilises, and the efficiency with which we use resources increases, there is nothing implausible about a continued rise in the standard of living.

Read more: http://www.afr.com/news/economy/why-we-wil...9#ixzz52z92JOKS
Tim Harford

.... Panglossian?

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Dec 28 2017, 09:01 AM
  Quote Post

The hyperconnected world was not supposed to be like this. In May, Evan Williams, one of the founders of Twitter, told The New York Times: “I thought once everybody could speak freely and exchange information and ideas, the world is automatically going to be a better place. I was wrong about that.”

In September Sheryl Sandberg, Facebook’s chief operating officer, acknowledged that the company’s online tools had allowed advertisers to target self-described “Jew haters”. “We never intended or anticipated this functionality being used this way,” she admitted, “and that is on us.”

Surprise
- Niall Ferguson

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/why-twit...works-tpdlw3f5w

--------------------

146 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareScene.com, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING