Logo
Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome to ShareScene - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Australia's Sharemarket Community - New Here? Click To Register >

137 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

NEWS PAPER OR MEDIA ARTICLES, ANYTHING INTERESTING
balance
post Posted: Nov 22 2016, 10:50 AM
  Quote Post

Another Japanese earthquake and tsunami.

--------------------
Day Trader: Lowest form of life in the known universe.
Shorter: Can limbo under a day trader.
Investor: Salt of the Earth.Sits to the right of God (Warren Buffet)
Share prices are only ever manipulated down.
Paper losses are not really losses.
Chat site posters always know better & know more than anyone about anything.
I'm 29.
The cheque is in the mail.

triage
post Posted: Nov 14 2016, 02:20 PM
  Quote Post

The beeb is carrying this article about a photo a tourist took in Darwin. Must be a slow news day. They reckon it looks like a map of Australia. Wonder how many Darwin stubbies were consumed to come up with that (yeah I can sort of see it but really a bit of a rorschach inkblot test isn't it).

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-37969974

I'm a glass half full sort of bloke so I am happy to see the top half of the continent is above water (but being a Qlder I already knew you southerners were below the waterline).

The other thing I noticed is that they are making a story out of a very old photo. And I know that cause the photos captured what must have been one of the nuclear tests at Maralinga (boom boom .... sorry).

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Mozart fixes everything and Messi is a dog

arty
post Posted: Nov 9 2016, 08:29 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Nov 9 2016, 07:21 AM

What makes you say Prof Ehrlich is wrong?
I thought it was quite evident that there are too many human mouths. We're eating other animals out of competition, destroying habitats, and killing even more as pests.
Of course, it's an inconvenient truth and, given the political diversity around the Globe, no solution seems possible. So, yeah, maybe it's futile to even talk about it and upset some sensitive souls.

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

Said 'Thanks' for this post: Pendragon  

mullokintyre
post Posted: Nov 9 2016, 07:21 AM
  Quote Post

Paul Erlich is at it again.
Ever since the publication of this seminal work, Th Population Bomb in 1968, he has been pushing the same line.
Despite being continuously wrong in his predictions about the explosion of humanity, he is still pushing the line that we have too many people, and population growth is too high.
Why should we believe him this time?? His track record is abysmal.
I just understand why the press give the bloke oxygen.

Mick

The End is nigh

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

mullokintyre
post Posted: Nov 8 2016, 12:12 PM
  Quote Post

Lates Northern Territory Tourism ad shows a brilliant piece of marketing.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/8004718-16x9-940x529.png

visiting NT??

Mick

--------------------

arty
post Posted: Oct 21 2016, 08:57 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Oct 20 2016, 08:13 PM

He would have "shown remorse" and promised not to do it again, meaning next time he'd try to avoid the copper and aim for an illegal immigrant instead.

Yeah, our Legal System is down the drain. Maybe some aspects of Sharia Law aren't that bad after all? Like flogging.
"An eye for an eye" and all that. Call is Mosaic, to avoid any nasty connotations, and convert it to Judaeo-Christian Law.

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

mullokintyre
post Posted: Oct 20 2016, 08:13 PM
  Quote Post

From the

ABC News

A Melbourne man who drove over a police officer in a stolen car while under the influence of drugs has avoided jail.

Fawad Raoofi, 28, of Mentone, pleaded guilty in the Dandenong Magistrates Court to running over a police officer's chest as he attempted to flee a fast food restaurant car park at Heatherton, in Melbourne's south-eastern suburbs.

Raoofi was asleep in a car when police and an ambulance were called to the car park on August 27, 2015.

The court heard when police woke him, Raoofi quickly reversed his car, hitting the ambulance and police car, before knocking an officer to the ground and driving over him.

Raoofi then rammed the ambulance and police car multiple times so he could escape.

He told the court he was heavily drugged at the time and could not remember driving over the police officer or hitting the vehicles.

He received a two-year community corrections order and was banned from driving for two days.

The magistrate noted he was his mother's full time carer and needed his licence.

Geez, driving under the influence of drugs, ramming police cars and ambulance, and knocking mr Plod over.
You might think that would get a jail term. And banned from driving for two days?? May as well get slapped with a damp lettuce.
If its true that he is mothers sole carer, he shows enormous care for her by taking drugs.
Magistrate needs a good kick up the arse.
Mick

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  Pendragon  Varmi  

nipper
post Posted: Oct 7 2016, 01:49 PM
  Quote Post

define "contagion"

"an indiscriminate run by short-term creditors of financial institutions that can render otherwise solvent institutions insolvent because of the fire sale of assets that are necessary to fund withdrawals and the resulting decline in asset prices triggered by such sales." Such contagion is "the most virulent and systemic risk still facing the financial system today."

Hal Scott, a professor at Harvard Law School and the author of the recent book Connectedness and Contagion.

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time."
- Dr John Hussman

“If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions.” ― Michel de Montaigne

Said 'Thanks' for this post: arty  

early birds
post Posted: Oct 2 2016, 09:28 PM
  Quote Post

it's a thrill for the Sharks , MAN!!! so happy for them,

mullokintyre
post Posted: Sep 30 2016, 05:51 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Sep 30 2016, 02:22 PM

He was obviously stoned at the time when he mispoke.
Mick

--------------------

137 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareScene.com, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING