Logo
Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome to ShareScene - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Australia's Sharemarket Community - New Here? Click To Register >

147 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

NEWS PAPER OR MEDIA ARTICLES, ANYTHING INTERESTING
arty
post Posted: Apr 12 2018, 09:51 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Apr 11 2018, 07:59 AM

What a miserable bunch of party poopers! The patients have taken control of the Mental Asylum.
What's next? Tattoo every newborn baby's forehead with a warning "Life is a Health Hazard!" icon14.gif
Life is a sexually transmitted, fatal disease. Healthy living merely prolongs the suffering.

It would be so much better to focus on the endorphins and give people some optimism.

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

nipper
post Posted: Apr 11 2018, 07:59 AM
  Quote Post

Should coffee come with a cancer warning?

The background comes from California's Proposition 65, a state ballot referendum designed to reduce health risks associated with certain chemicals. Its key provision states, "No person in the course of doing business shall knowingly and intentionally expose any individual to a chemical known to the state to cause cancer or reproductive toxicity without first giving clear and reasonable warning to such individual."

For carcinogens, here is some acceptable wording: "Warning: This product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer." That's pretty scary. It also raises an immediate question: What does it mean to "cause cancer"?

Under the law, which was adopted in 1986, a chemical can be exempted if it poses "no significant risk". A risk is not significant if it results in one or fewer excess cancer cases in an exposed population of 100,000, "assuming lifetime exposure at the level in question, except where sound considerations of public health support an alternative level". To claim the benefit of the exemption, those who seek an exemption have to offer a "quantitative risk assessment", or so the law seems to say.

That brings us to the neighbourhood coffee shop. When coffee beans are roasted, a chemical reaction occurs, producing a chemical, called acrylamide, which California has long listed as causing cancer. Acrylamide dissolves in water, which means that it can be found in brewed coffee.

With these simple facts in mind, the Council for Education and Research on Toxics brought suit against a large number of companies, including Starbucks, arguing that they were obliged to give the appropriate warning to their customers.

The central question in the case was whether the companies could claim an exemption. Among other things, they argued that for coffee, "sound considerations of public health support an alternative level". They contended that the risks associated with acrylamide were low - and that current levels of acrylamide in coffee cannot be reduced without adversely affecting safety and taste.

In a "proposed statement of decision," the judge found these arguments unpersuasive. In particular, he objected that the companies had not provided a quantitative risk assessment, specifying the risk of acrylamide in coffee.

Given Proposition 65 and the evidence provided at trial, the judge's conclusions were not unreasonable, though he could have gone the other way. The defendants have a few weeks to respond. Perhaps they will prevail.

But let's step back a bit. There are good reasons to object to cancer warnings for coffee.

For one thing, such warnings would mislead and frighten a lot of people. When we see a cancer warning, many of us greatly exaggerate the size of the risk. It's not in the public interest to produce unjustified fear.

True, some people will ignore the warning. And true, some warnings are valuable, even if it isn't fun to read them. But a lifetime risk in the vicinity of 1 in 100,000 is very low. According to some recent estimates, a mortality risk of that magnitude is about the same as that of being killed by a dog; 17 times lower than the risk of drowning in a swimming pool; 60 times lower than the risk of being killed from a fall on stairs or steps; and 90 times lower than the risk of being killed in a motor vehicle accident.

The cancer risk of smoking is more than 10,000 times higher. And because people inevitably face a wide range of risks, the idea of a one in 100,000 mortality risk is deceptive: In all likelihood, you'll end up dying from something else.

Another consideration is that with respect to acrylamide, we probably shouldn't worry a whole lot. The American Cancer Society notes that when rats and mice are given very high amounts - 1000 to 10,000 higher than the levels to which human beings might be exposed in foods - the incidence of cancer does increase.

But with respect to human beings, the evidence is mixed. Indeed, "there are currently no cancer types for which there is clearly an increased risk related to acrylamide intake", which means that the evidence from human studies is "somewhat reassuring".

Proposition 65 does have laudable goals. Across a population of tens of millions, a risk of one in 100,000 is not exactly trivial. One of the law's evident aims is to change corporate behaviour: Because companies will lose business if they inform customers that their products contain carcinogens, they will have an incentive to adopt safer substitutes.

Fair enough. But cancer warnings on coffee? That's silly.

Cass Sunstein is Robert Walmsley University Professor at Harvard. He is co-author of "Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth and Happiness."

- The Washington Post

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

Said 'Thanks' for this post: henrietta  arty  

blacksheep
post Posted: Apr 1 2018, 02:44 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ Apr 1 2018, 11:26 AM

Agree. Most of what you read in our newspapers is copied under licence from overseas anyway - hardly anyone doing real investigative reporting anymore. Michael West was one I held in high regard - I now follow his articles via twitter/blog. The AFR has a couple of reporters that have done some exceptional work of late on the ASX listed stocks likes of QIN (Vesna Poljak) BIG, GSW (Johny Shapiro) and both more recently on BLA. Jemima Whyte did some excellent work on CPH - exposing the stock promotion via twitter/instagram "How Twitter, social media boost small cap stocks" (hopefully she'll have a look at similar promotions on other stocks). There are a few others, but on the whole most are simply feeding the chooks with, IMHO, low content repetitive . I tend to read the oveseas media the night before it's repeated in our media the next day biggrin.gif FTA TV is the same low content rubbish. You click through the channels and they all run with the same "news" articles, obviously all obtained from the same sources. Do media bosses all think the same - the viewing public is dumb?

As I type this, I'm reminded of the Bond007 movie Tomorrow Never Dies featuring the power hungry media mogul, Elliot Carver, who engineered world events in order to obtain exclusive global media coverage for his network biggrin.gif

Happy reading/viewing biggrin:

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

Said 'Thanks' for this post: myshares  alonso  

triage
post Posted: Apr 1 2018, 11:26 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: blacksheep's post @ Mar 31 2018, 07:59 PM

I gave up reading The Australian a decade ago when they started embedding their political spin into the business and sports pages, I can't remember reading any disclaimers there. These days, pretty much I rely on sites like ss to inform me of articles and news that I need to know about.

I wish Michael West and his ilk every success, and if he has to pick up some odd jobs here and there to keep the lights on then as long as he is open and upfront about it then fair enough. In the US they are a big enough market for some investigative journalists to remain employed by fringe MSM operators like Propublica but here in Oz they are left to fend for themselves. I see even someone who is as conventional as Michael Pascoe has lost his job, apparently for not delivering the message Fairfax wants him to.

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Mozart fixes everything and Messi is a dog

Said 'Thanks' for this post: blacksheep  henrietta  

blacksheep
post Posted: Mar 31 2018, 07:59 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Mar 31 2018, 06:20 PM

You be the judge - in Michael West's own words

Stories today and last Thursday in Rupert Murdoch’s newspaper, The Australian, made a number of false imputations. We will address the main ones.

GetUp! financed michaelwest.com.au to conduct an investigation into the tax affairs of 20 multinational companies. The deal was a one-month sponsorship arrangement worth $500 per investigation into each company’s financial statements.

THE AUSTRALIAN:

“GetUp! declined to say how much it is paying West, but his fee could well exceed $100,000.”

THE FACTS:

The fee was actually $10,000, one-tenth of The Australia’s mooted figure. The Tax Justice Network is also tipping in $1,000. The funding will cover the website’s costs for a month.

As the corporate regulator charges $38 just to search one set of financial statements, GetUp! has also agreed to fund the dozens of company searches required.

THE AUSTRALIAN

This is not the first time West has been involved in a GetUp! campaign. GetUp!’s promotional material for West’s articles says: “Last year, West was an integral part of GetUp!’s campaign to stop the sale of the ASIC registry — a move that would have seen big business take control of Australia’s corporate database.”

THE FACTS:

Contrary to the false imputation that there was a commercial arrangement regarding the ASIC registry, I was not paid. I was approached by GetUp! and agreed to do a video to assist in the campaign purely for reasons of public interest.

THE AUSTRALIAN

“West, a former Fairfax Media and News Corp journalist, was invited to provide a statement explaining why the independence of his journalism had not been compromised by his links with GetUp!”

THE FACTS:

Since establishing a monthly payments schedule last month michaelwest.com.au has picked up 500 paying subscribers. Most are paying $5 a month, a few are paying $20 and $100.

Since inception last year, the venture has been funded by members of the public and by my Fairfax Media redundancy cheque. The purpose of the website is public interest. There is no paywall. I expect that the start-up venture will be self-funding in two months as it attracts more paying subscribers.

The independence of our journalism has not been compromised in any way by GetUp! or any other party, including the Australian Conservation Foundation which paid for a report last month into the Northern Australia Infrastructure Facility and the Adani coal project. Again, appropriate disclosures were made. This was no secret either.

THE AUSTRALIAN

Throughout its coverage – “payments to West came to light” etc – the newspaper has imputed that the arrangement with GetUp! has been tainted and somehow kept secret from the public and from readers.

THE FACTS:

The GetUp! arrangement has been disclosed at the bottom of the multinational tax avoidance coverage on michaelwest.com.au. GetUp links back to our website. It is no secret. The Australian could have checked this with the stroke of a keyboard. Perhaps it chose to ignore this inconvenient fact.

He then went on to a few questions to News Corp - see link - https://www.michaelwest.com.au/correcting-n...t-this-website/

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

Said 'Thanks' for this post: triage  henrietta  

nipper
post Posted: Mar 31 2018, 06:20 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: blacksheep's post @ Mar 31 2018, 01:57 PM

In with Get Up!, yes/no?

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

blacksheep
post Posted: Mar 31 2018, 01:57 PM
  Quote Post

With All Due Respect Efficient Newspapers
Posted by Michael West | Mar 28, 2018 | Featured, Video

As retrenchments proceed apace in the old media sector, not everybody thinks the outlook for newspapers is bleak. We interview the chief executive of FairNews Corporation about his expansion plans, quality journalism and his radical plans for leveraging core competencies going forward

A Clarke & Dawes type interview biggrin.gif
https://www.michaelwest.com.au/with-all-due...ent-newspapers/

--------------------

early birds
post Posted: Feb 15 2018, 10:18 AM
  Quote Post

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/ex-stu...8MzR?li=AAgfYrC

A 19-year-old gunman opened fire on Wednesday at a Florida high school he had previously been expelled from, killing 17 people before he was arrested by police, authorities said.
==================

sadsmiley02.gif weirdsmiley.gif

mullokintyre
post Posted: Feb 7 2018, 11:38 AM
  Quote Post

The decision to let a teenager who kicked a police officer in the head at a Melbourne shopping centre walk away from court without a conviction shows there are gaping holes in the state's sentencing laws, the police union says.

The teen was on parole when he attacked the policeman at Highpoint Shopping Centre on Boxing Day.

ABC NEWS

Without wanting to buy into the African gangs arguments, how is it possible that someone who is a out on parole
then kicks a policemen in the head manages to not only get bail after the kicking incident,, but get off without a conviction??
No wonder we have so many problems with domestic violence.
Violence seems to be acceptable now.

Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  dr_dazmo  BobE  Pendragon  

nipper
post Posted: Feb 7 2018, 09:26 AM
  Quote Post

https://jalopnik.com/elon-musk-actually-sho...dium=socialflow

Musk's Tesla launched to orbit (with space test dummy behind the wheel), has a Livestream

--------------------

147 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareScene.com, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING