Logo
Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome to ShareScene - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Australia's Sharemarket Community - New Here? Click To Register >

104 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

"English as she is spoke", Our language and its quirks
triage
post Posted: Yesterday, 08:02 AM
  Quote Post

Well that's a bit weird. As you would expect, the Guardian refers to the the van "ploughing" into pedestrians in Toronto but unexpectedly for me the London Telegraph refers to the van "plowing" into pedestrians. Seeing how nationalistic the crew at the London Tele is I'm surprised they have allowed creeping Americanism onto their pages.

As an aside, there seems general agreement from news organisations that the vehicle "plowed" or "ploughed" into the people: from my sample only our auntie and the FT made the effort to avoid using the hackneyed term.

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Mozart fixes everything and Messi is a dog

henrietta
post Posted: Mar 27 2018, 12:46 PM
  Quote Post

A PEDESTRIAN was killed at Bexley North last night after being hit by a car

Poor pedestrian having a very rough day ......... firstly being hit by a car, then being killed.

J

arty
post Posted: Mar 8 2018, 04:50 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ Mar 8 2018, 01:46 PM

Rooves as a plural for of roof is dated, but not incorrect. The Oxford English Dictionary lists “rooves” as an alternate to roofs, one of several outdated spellings used in the UK, and in New England as late as the 19th century.

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

alonso
post Posted: Mar 8 2018, 03:58 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ Mar 8 2018, 01:46 PM

I would go for roofs. Rooves just doesn't sound right.

Cricket bats would need a sense of direction, which your average thug might be light on, as opposed to the baseball bat which could be wielded any which way

Not speaking from experience I hasten to add.

--------------------
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true"

"What is prudence in the conduct of every private family can scarce be folly in that of a great kingdom." Adam Smith

triage
post Posted: Mar 8 2018, 01:46 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Mar 8 2018, 01:35 PM

is it roofs or rooves?

Also, why do thugs in Australia use baseball bats and not cricket bats? Either a high percentage of local baseball players are violent miscreants or the local ruffians watch too many US crime movies (I saw an interview of a real life New York mafioso and he readily admitted that much of the time he and his mates were mimicking what they saw in movies like The Godfather, not the other way round).

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Mozart fixes everything and Messi is a dog

henrietta
post Posted: Mar 8 2018, 01:35 PM
  Quote Post

Two men allegedly entered the Footscray home before 11pm last night with some reports saying they had knifes and baseball bats.

“They were disrupted by the sole occupant, a man in his 20s, who was subsequently assaulted with an unknown item,” a police spokeswoman said.

My 6 year old grandson could do better.

Cheers
J

arty
post Posted: Feb 15 2018, 11:20 AM
  Quote Post

When Medical terms are spoken, they sound like ...

Attached File  EnglishSpoke.png ( 1.16MB ) Number of downloads: 4

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

Said 'Thanks' for this post: nipper  alonso  

arty
post Posted: Feb 12 2018, 08:17 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Feb 10 2018, 02:31 PM

"Go to Whoa" makes sense. Whoa is the Stop command given to a horse or horses.

Of course, given the woes our steel, and generally our entire manufacturing, industry finds itself in, Auntie's alternative spelling is understandable.

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Feb 10 2018, 02:31 PM
  Quote Post

We used to have a proper steel industry in Australia from go and woe, but at the moment it's more to do with...
it could be that's what they really meant, though 'whoa' is more commonly used.
(ABC ; of course ) http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-10/p...ection=business

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

henrietta
post Posted: Jan 22 2018, 12:20 PM
  Quote Post

“This is really concerning, fortunately, it’s not something that happens every day and I don’t for a second want to underscore how serious this incident is.”

Premier Gladys of NSW.

Maybe she meant "understate", not "underscore". Not uncommon for pollies to say the exact opposite of what they mean.

Cheers
J

104 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareScene.com, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING