Logo
Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome to ShareScene - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Australia's Sharemarket Community - New Here? Click To Register >

105 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

"English as she is spoke", Our language and its quirks
nipper
post Posted: May 23 2018, 10:17 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ May 23 2018, 09:40 AM

The sense I got (and I only found the paper ref, when I cross checked) was it was the inner area - possibly where a choir could be located - where the dignitaries sat. Definitely the language implied a space, not massed voices.

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

henrietta
post Posted: May 23 2018, 09:40 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ May 20 2018, 08:20 AM

The only thing I can find about "quire" is the number of sheets of paper. The only other reference was this ...
archaic spelling of choir
Was this what you were talking about, or have I missed the point ...... not unusual!

Cheers
J

henrietta
post Posted: May 23 2018, 09:28 AM
  Quote Post

Police have confirmed the woman who died after colliding with a bus in Brisbane’s CBD this morning was a 51-year-old from Samford Valley.

Senior Sergeant Simon Tayler said police received a phone call just after 7am today to say there had been an incident involving a pedestrian and a bus on the corner of Ann and Wharf streets.

Do pedestrians "collide" with a bus ??

Cheers
J

nipper
post Posted: May 20 2018, 08:20 AM
  Quote Post

From the Order of Proceedings
Those in the Quire stand as Her Majesty is conducted to her place in the Quire.
and straight over to some "talking head" (no idea who, wasn't paying THAT much attention) who starts rabbiting on about the music to be played.

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

henrietta
post Posted: May 19 2018, 12:04 PM
  Quote Post

The Age comes up with this ...

Mr Turnbull, who also flocked to Gilmore recently in support of Ms Sudmalis, lauded her as a "phenomenal member" and a "persistent, persuasive and relentless advocate for her community".

Not quite sure how one person can "flock"........ perhaps he has multiple personalities.

Cheers
J

draughtsman
post Posted: May 4 2018, 08:53 PM
  Quote Post

In today's ABC website -

Grattan on Friday: Peter Dutton's bid for more crime-fighting power has bought him a fight.

In the context of the following article nothing to do with the purchasing of something.

Bought brought bring brang and brung - always reminded from early school days of these words that aren't.

--------------------
draughtsman

You don't know what you don't know

nipper
post Posted: May 4 2018, 04:14 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: arty's post @ May 4 2018, 03:36 PM

overthinking?

I have a subscription though my old job ..... and damned if I do, damned if I don't provide a link.

--------------------

arty
post Posted: May 4 2018, 03:36 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ May 4 2018, 12:41 PM

maybe, they do it on purpose so they can rope people in for a subscription.
I wanted to look at the context, clicked on the link you provided, and all that got me was a "Please Subscribe". But why should I?

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

nipper
post Posted: May 4 2018, 12:41 PM
  Quote Post

in a bid to create jobs and sure-up the manufacturing sector.
it's a(n on)shore thing

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-a...12e4ed56bcfe4ae

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: arty  

triage
post Posted: Apr 24 2018, 08:02 AM
  Quote Post

Well that's a bit weird. As you would expect, the Guardian refers to the the van "ploughing" into pedestrians in Toronto but unexpectedly for me the London Telegraph refers to the van "plowing" into pedestrians. Seeing how nationalistic the crew at the London Tele is I'm surprised they have allowed creeping Americanism onto their pages.

As an aside, there seems general agreement from news organisations that the vehicle "plowed" or "ploughed" into the people: from my sample only our auntie and the FT made the effort to avoid using the hackneyed term.

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Mozart fixes everything and Messi is a dog

105 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareScene.com, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING