Logo
Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome to ShareScene - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Australia's Sharemarket Community - New Here? Click To Register >

92 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

"English as she is spoke", Our language and its quirks
mullokintyre
post Posted: Apr 30 2015, 08:16 AM
  Quote Post

A partially severed finger has been found in the back of a ute in Hallam, in Melbourne's south-east.

Hmm, m one assumes that if it was partially severed, one might expect it to be still aprtially attached to its owner, though no mention of the owner being around in the original article on ABC.

Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

nipper
post Posted: Apr 13 2015, 04:52 PM
  Quote Post

"It is a slow moving train wreck in the making that will come to a culmination in a gigantic train crash next year or the year after," Manufacturing Australia chairman Mark Chellew said.

this bloke is mouthing off about the East Coast gas prices .... but, basically, if you can't clarify what you are trying to say, how are we expected to know what you are talking about?
<maybe a wreck is different to a crash?>

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time."
- Dr John Hussman

henrietta
post Posted: Apr 5 2015, 11:56 AM
  Quote Post

Making a goose of himself ............ ??? smile.gif

some Unions run propergander and misinformation

Cheers
J

Said 'Thanks' for this post: alonso  balance  nipper  

henrietta
post Posted: Apr 1 2015, 09:13 PM
  Quote Post

Walker, who lives in Hermosa Beach, Calif., has been held without bond in the Purgatory Correctional Facility in St. George since March 16 after arriving 45 minutes late to his original sentencing hearing. Ludlow issued a warrant for Walker’s arrest and he was taken into custody when he finally arrived at the courthouse.

What a lovely name !!!

Cheers
J

arty
post Posted: Mar 28 2015, 06:26 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: alonso's post @ Mar 28 2015, 01:08 PM

I reckon three words were dropped when the article was published:
"... speaks to the audience about his essay ..."

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

alonso
post Posted: Mar 28 2015, 01:08 PM
  Quote Post

When did the phrase "speak to" become fashionable?

"Philosopher Raimond Gaita speaks to his essay on reflections on war and truth."

Why not "discusses" or "speaks about"? Is language modification always for the better?

--------------------
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true"

"What is prudence in the conduct of every private family can scarce be folly in that of a great kingdom." Adam Smith

deadone
post Posted: Mar 16 2015, 11:02 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: balance's post @ Mar 16 2015, 07:18 AM

are english speakers verbally insane ? in what other language do people recite at a play and play at a recital, ship by truck and send cargo by ship
have noses that run and feet that smell, how can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites ?

Said 'Thanks' for this post: mullokintyre  

balance
post Posted: Mar 16 2015, 07:18 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Mar 13 2015, 07:41 PM

I have seen (land) whales on Cronulla Beach. You never know.

--------------------
Day Trader: Lowest form of life in the known universe.
Shorter: Can limbo under a day trader.
Investor: Salt of the Earth.Sits to the right of God (Warren Buffet)
Share prices are only ever manipulated down.
Paper losses are not really losses.
Chat site posters always know better & know more than anyone about anything.
I'm 29.
The cheque is in the mail.

henrietta
post Posted: Mar 13 2015, 07:41 PM
  Quote Post

With coach Wayne Bennett back on board and the signing of some key positional players, a loss to the Sharks would have the alarm bells at Red Hill whaling even louder those on Cronulla Beach.

I'm hoping it is one of those funny predictive text howlers. biggrin.gif

Cheers
J

alonso
post Posted: Mar 3 2015, 10:38 AM
  Quote Post

"ghost sign hunters - enthusiasts who photograph the fading advertising signs of past decades for prosperity"

Seems you can make a quid out of it as well as preserve heritage?

--------------------
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true"

"What is prudence in the conduct of every private family can scarce be folly in that of a great kingdom." Adam Smith

92 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareScene.com, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING