Logo
Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome to ShareScene - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Australia's Sharemarket Community - New Here? Click To Register >

103 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

"English as she is spoke", Our language and its quirks
arty
post Posted: Feb 15 2018, 11:20 AM
  Quote Post

When Medical terms are spoken, they sound like ...

Attached File  EnglishSpoke.png ( 1.16MB ) Number of downloads: 2

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

Said 'Thanks' for this post: nipper  

arty
post Posted: Feb 12 2018, 08:17 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Feb 10 2018, 02:31 PM

"Go to Whoa" makes sense. Whoa is the Stop command given to a horse or horses.

Of course, given the woes our steel, and generally our entire manufacturing, industry finds itself in, Auntie's alternative spelling is understandable.

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

nipper
post Posted: Feb 10 2018, 02:31 PM
  Quote Post

We used to have a proper steel industry in Australia from go and woe, but at the moment it's more to do with...
it could be that's what they really meant, though 'whoa' is more commonly used.
(ABC ; of course ) http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-10/p...ection=business

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

henrietta
post Posted: Jan 22 2018, 12:20 PM
  Quote Post

ďThis is really concerning, fortunately, itís not something that happens every day and I donít for a second want to underscore how serious this incident is.Ē

Premier Gladys of NSW.

Maybe she meant "understate", not "underscore". Not uncommon for pollies to say the exact opposite of what they mean.

Cheers
J

arty
post Posted: Jan 8 2018, 04:32 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Jan 7 2018, 06:54 PM

maybe that's the problem?
Had they hired proper Technicians, the power might have been restored many hours ago!

--------------------

henrietta
post Posted: Jan 8 2018, 01:43 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Jan 8 2018, 12:58 PM

It wasn't even a cliffhanger !! laugh.gif

Cheers
J

nipper
post Posted: Jan 8 2018, 12:58 PM
  Quote Post

Australia is on the precipice of victory on the fifth afternoon in Sydney,
ABC of course
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-08/t...ve-blog/9310202

- and on the brink of being informed by idiots

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

henrietta
post Posted: Jan 7 2018, 06:54 PM
  Quote Post

The spokeswoman said technitions were working to restore power to the affected areas.

Wrong spelling "decition" . biggrin.gif

Cheers
J

lgrif
post Posted: Dec 18 2017, 06:37 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Dec 18 2017, 03:03 PM

Put a smile on my face.

arty
post Posted: Dec 18 2017, 03:26 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Dec 18 2017, 03:03 PM

it's an Americanism. Yanks like to careen from one disaster into another.

--------------------

103 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareScene.com, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING