Logo
Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome to ShareScene - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Australia's Sharemarket Community - New Here? Click To Register >

89 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

"English as she is spoke", Our language and its quirks
henrietta
post Posted: Jul 18 2014, 08:11 AM
  Quote Post

A " decimated " airliner ......... now that's different !!

There was no sign of survivors at the crash site, where reporters saw horrific scenes of carnage with dozens of mutilated corpses and body parts strewn through the smouldering wreck of the decimated Boeing 777 airliner.

Seems like a horrific case of mistaken identity for the poor passengers and crew, What a disaster.

Cheers
J

arty
post Posted: Jul 1 2014, 03:41 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: alonso's post @ Jul 1 2014, 03:19 PM

so they need a sweetener, do they? biggrin.gif

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

alonso
post Posted: Jul 1 2014, 03:19 PM
  Quote Post

"You may need a pay rise before buying a house in the countryside. People are being pushed out of rural areas because of souring house prices, says the National Housing Federation." - BBC

--------------------
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true"

"What is prudence in the conduct of every private family can scarce be folly in that of a great kingdom." Adam Smith

alonso
post Posted: Jun 24 2014, 02:30 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Jun 23 2014, 08:29 PM

OTOH it's more suggestive the way it is.

--------------------
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true"

"What is prudence in the conduct of every private family can scarce be folly in that of a great kingdom." Adam Smith

henrietta
post Posted: Jun 23 2014, 08:29 PM
  Quote Post

Ms Meares is engaged to former INXS post-Michael Hutchence frontman Jon Stevens and the ex-wife of billionaire media mogul James Packer.

For want of the little verb "is", the meaning of the sentence is dramatically altered.
Cheers
J

Said 'Thanks' for this post: arty  

joules mm1
post Posted: May 15 2014, 04:02 PM
  Quote Post

Trending on twitter today :

Attached File  worse_or_worst.gif ( 18.29K ) Number of downloads: 1

Requires little comment, really!

--------------------
. . . . . . . . everything has an art

henrietta
post Posted: May 9 2014, 08:32 AM
  Quote Post

And I suppose that extraordinarily just has too many syllables ......

Stockpicking has been extraordinary challenging this year. The typical hedge fund had a year to date return slightly below zero as of April 30.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/markets/ann...l#ixzz31ALi1rJE

And I also assume that " return slightly below zero" sounds better than " suffered a loss " .

Cheers
J

joules mm1
post Posted: May 5 2014, 12:40 PM
  Quote Post

"....this land of mistaken identity.....this kingdom of nepotism, this realm of hypocrisy, this.....England??
...like, misbin spoken innitt.... really, darl !! unsure.gif

--------------------
. . . . . . . . everything has an art

arty
post Posted: May 2 2014, 01:34 PM
  Quote Post

Mount Gibson has a "more optimal" board structure:
http://www.asx.com.au/asx/statistics/displ...;idsId=01512639

More appropriate maybe? Considering the company has grown backwards, less may indeed be more.

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

mullokintyre
post Posted: Apr 30 2014, 06:23 PM
  Quote Post

From our beloved ABC :

Miniature train driver calls it a day at famous Gold Coast wildlife sanctuary

I gather the chap was less than 12 centimetres tall.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-30/mini...nctuary/5422112

Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

89 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareScene.com, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING