Logo
Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome to ShareScene - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Australia's Sharemarket Community - New Here? Click To Register >

98 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

"English as she is spoke", Our language and its quirks
nipper
post Posted: Nov 25 2016, 11:43 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Nov 25 2016, 11:36 AM

I usually approach such Announcements/ statements with foreboding ... and see the shareprice reflects that concern

in this case, it reads like bad news, yet VTG is up 14% today. The devil is in the details (in a red dress).

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time."
- Dr John Hussman

“If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions.” ― Michel de Montaigne

henrietta
post Posted: Nov 25 2016, 11:36 AM
  Quote Post

FOOTPRINT OPTIMISATION AND COMMERCIAL TERMS AGREED
25 November 2016
ASX-listed provider of communications, electronics and ICT products and services, Vita Group (ASX: VTG) is pleased to announce that it has agreed changes to its commercial terms with strategic partner, Telstra. Under the agreed new terms, the remuneration structure will change and there will also be additions to the group’s network of Telstra-branded stores.
In relation to the remuneration changes, some elements of remuneration will reduce, where they have been deemed to be less effective in driving value. This will be partially offset by an increase in remuneration designed to incentivise the sale of a broader range of product solutions to customers.
On the store network, Vita will accelerate its physical optimisation program, involving both additions and exits, which will result in an overall increase in the number of Telstra-branded stores, with the number of additional stores to be communicated in due course.
The net impact of these changes on earnings is difficult to determine, given that many elements of the remuneration construct are performance-driven, as has always been the case. However, Vita expects to see volume improvement overall, offset by some margin compression.
This announcement follows recent negotiations between Vita and Telstra about strategic and tactical opportunities available to the partnership. As noted in Vita’s letter to the ASX on 1 November 2016, these discussions occur frequently and are part of the ongoing relationship between the two strategic partners.
Vita Group CEO, Maxine Horne commented, “Over the 21 years of Vita’s partnership with Telstra, we have worked well together to reach mutually beneficial outcomes – strategically, operationally and commercially. After all, it is in our joint interests to do so. We remain focused on delivering on our strategic plan and doing what we do best – which is out-performing, out-executing and out-servicing to make Vita Group a great place to be for customers, team members, partners and investors alike.”

The CEO Maxine Horne seems to speak plainly and effectively.

The main text however is a torrent of new-speak.

e.g.

" it has agreed changes" ...... what's wrong with agreeing "to" changes ?
" incentivise" ........ one of my pettest hates
"Vita will accelerate its physical optimisation program" ...... will close some stores and open some new ones
"net impact of these changes on earnings is difficult to determine" ......... we don't know what we're doing
"expects to see volume improvement overall, offset by some margin compression" ...... we hope to sell more, at lower profit

Don Watson, where are you !!!

Cheers
J

Said 'Thanks' for this post: nipper  arty  draughtsman  

triage
post Posted: Nov 20 2016, 10:52 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: henrietta's post @ Nov 20 2016, 10:11 PM

J

Most likely the journo was thinking of "prodigy" (?).

With so many newbies in the team Warner and Hazlewood need to show some leadership (Warner by not throwing his wicket away and Hazlewood by getting some top order batsmen out early on). Wade and Maddison both seem to have got the nod for thier mongrel rather than their form. Lyon needs to bag a heap otherwise he's gone too apparently. Also apparently the young pommy protege (sic) from Qld is in line to open with Davo (remember how Pup was allowed to hide away at 5 (?) even long after he had become the gun batsman in the team, not for this kid, thrown in the deep end from day one).

Anyway all is good, change is good

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Mozart fixes everything and Messi is a dog

henrietta
post Posted: Nov 20 2016, 10:11 PM
  Quote Post

English born Queensland opener Matt Renshaw, 20, is the bolter of the group of new players joining the Test team. Hailing from Middlesbrough and a mate of Joe Root, the protege debuted in Shield cricket at 18 and confirmed his credentials with a solid century in the audition game which ended today.

" protege " ??? Does Peter Lalor actually mean " debutante ", because I can't make sense of his use of the word protege.

Cheers
J

ps I don't fancy Australia's chances with the new blokes

nipper
post Posted: Nov 7 2016, 12:14 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: wolverine's post @ Nov 7 2016, 12:12 PM

meta-plausible ?

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time."
- Dr John Hussman

“If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions.” ― Michel de Montaigne

wolverine
post Posted: Nov 7 2016, 12:12 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Nov 7 2016, 11:28 AM

I'm quasi-awesome....so it seems plausible.

--------------------
TOO MANY CHIEFS

NOT ENOUGH INDIANS

nipper
post Posted: Nov 7 2016, 11:28 AM
  Quote Post

now there is a spin-merchant at work
Tesla says the tempered glass [for th new rooftop solar panels] is "tough as steel" and can weather a lifetime of abuse from the elements. It can also be fitted with heating elements to melt snow in colder climates. "It's never going to wear out," Musk said, "It's made of quartz. It has a quasi-infinite lifetime."

--------------------
- Dr John Hussman

nipper
post Posted: Nov 3 2016, 10:35 AM
  Quote Post

Brexit, a word that has divided a nation and split a continent, has been named the word of the year because of its importance and flexibility. Collins said it was the most important political contribution to the English language since Watergate ushered in the most used suffix of modern times.

“Brexit is proving even more useful and adaptable,” Helen Newstead, the head of language content at Collins, said. She added that “as well as summing up in one word the result of one of the most significant events in British political history”, it was also “inspiring a lot of wordplay around endings and separations”.

There is now “Bremain” and “Bremorse”, not to mention “BrexPitt” - the breakdown of Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie’s marriage.

Other inclusions in Collins’ words of the year include “throw shade”, a phrase made popular by gay communities in America which means a “subtle, but public insult”. The pop stars Taylor Swift and Britney Spears are believed to have used their lyrics to throw shade at rival artists.

Another Americanism is “Trumpism”. Ms Newstead said the longevity of Trumpism, compared with Thatcherism for example, would “depend on his success in the forthcoming election”.

Then there is the “snowflake generation”, which describes young adults who appear to be more prone to taking offence than their predecessors.

Ms Newstead said the selection of words highlighted how young people were the drivers of changes in language. “Most of this year’s words are used by or relate to the generation born towards the end of the last century,” she said. “Their contribution to the constant evolution of the English language should not be overlooked.”

--------------------
- Dr John Hussman

Said 'Thanks' for this post: arty  

mullokintyre
post Posted: Oct 30 2016, 09:03 PM
  Quote Post

Nothing like a little tautology to confuse the masses.
Mick

"We are worried most of all about predominantly those women on low and middle incomes who will actually be affected by this," Mr O'Connor told Sky News on Sunday.

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: nipper  

arty
post Posted: Oct 27 2016, 12:17 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Oct 27 2016, 12:07 PM

... and Merriam Webster allows the use of "best" as a verb, which I found a little surprising.

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

98 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareScene.com, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING