Logo
Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome to ShareScene - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Australia's Sharemarket Community - New Here? Click To Register >

Reply to this topic

TIN
malfrey
post Posted: Dec 21 2009, 09:28 PM
  Quote Post

Hello,
Can anyone tell me what ASX companies are in "Tin" ?

The Tin LME Cash WCM seems to be in a nice uptrend.

Thank you in anticipation

--------------------
I do not give advice as I am not qualified to. I share my own thoughts.
Please do your own research.
Stay Alert to Change: Who moved my cheese?
Regards,
Malfrey

The_Muns
post Posted: Apr 3 2004, 03:20 PM
  Quote Post

Now with the big computer boys (Dell, HP) complying with the European directive of using no lead in there solder, and US thinking of using an alternative to Lead in there bullets.

Tin is the only real alternative.

The solder issue will increase the demand of tin by 10,000 tons ayear and from the London Metal exchange, reserves will be lower than 10,000 tons by the middle of this year.

CORPORATE

Australia Largest Miner To Double Output As Tin Soars

SYDNEY, APRIL 2: Australia’s largest tin miner, Marlborough Resources NL, aims to more than double output this year, encouraged by a dramatic rise in tin prices, a senior company executive said on Friday.

Looking for a Bride Groom
with photo
of Age 18 - 25 26 - 30 31 - 35 36 - 45 46 - 50 Above 50

"It’s hard to believe, but tin’s gone from a 100-year low of $3,600 a tonne two years ago to nearly $9,000 today," Deputy Chairman Chris Storey indicated. "Demand is simply outweighing supply right now and we don’t see that ending any time soon," Mr Storey said in an interview.

China, which mines about 35 per cent of the world’s tin, has cut its exports to a dribble, while Indonesia, with a similar share of the world market, has done the same. "This is causing a real squeeze on stockpiles," he stressed. "We want to take full advantage of that... This time next year we will be producing more tin than we are now," Mr Storey explained.

Marlborough is expanding the Ardlethan mine in eastern Australia to produce 2,200 tonnes annually by the end of 2004 and has indicated it wants to buy or discover more mines, potentially in partnership with its 30 per cent shareholder Malaysian Smelting Corp BHD. "The tin price has brought new investors out of the woodwork," Mr Storey pointed out.

Malaysian Smelting buys all of Malborough’s concentrates. The Ardlethan mine now yields about 1,000 tonnes a year, afraction of the 314,000 tonne of tin commodities analysts expect solder makers, ammunitions manufacturers, producers of galvanised steel and other users of the metal will consume in 2004.

Tin futures prices broke above $9,000 a tonne in early Friday trade on the London Metal Exchange, trading to their highest levels in 14-« years. With a meagre 6,840 tonne of zinc stored in LME warehouses -- the number falls to 4,750 tonne after cancelled floor warrants -- industrial users of tin will be scrambling to secure enough of the metal to meet manufacturing needs, he averred.

Few new tin mines were developed in the years following the 1985 collapse of the International Tin Council buffer stock scheme, which controlled the ebb and flow of the metal on world markets until it ran out of money to buy surplus supply.

Now with environmental drives in North America and Europe to replace hazardous lead metal with tin in everything from solder to bullets to wine cork seals, the metal is becoming hard to find. "The current inventories mean there is only enough tin to meet eight days consumption in a market typically holding 35 days worth," Mr Storey said.

As Australia’s only dedicated miner of tin -- Sons of Gwalia Ltd mines about 300 tonne a year from its Greenbushes lode as a by-product of lithium -- Marlborough has seen record turnover in its stock, with roughly about 10 per cent of shares on issue changing hands in the last week.

The stock has traded between 2.7 cents and 6.1 cents in the last 12 months, gaining 15 per cent over the period, compared with 19 per cent in the wider Australian market. It closed at 4.6 cents on Friday, giving it a market capitalisation of $16 million. Mr Storey averred that it would not be drawn on any interest Marlborough may have in the now-idled Renison tin mine in Tasmania, Australia. The mine was closed indefinitely in May last year and placed in voluntary financial administration as it wrestled with $31 million in debts. Sydney-based investment group Bluestone Nominees purchased the mine last month and plans to eventually restart operations.

Latest company figures showed the Renison mine yielded 1,412 tonne of tin between January 1 and March 31, 2003.

Elsewhere, Malachite Resources NL has begun exploration work to rekindle the Elsinore tin mine, also in eastern Australia.

-Reuters

--------------------
The_Muns

People who follow me are bigger fools than I.

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareScene.com, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING