Logo
Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome to ShareScene - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Australia's Sharemarket Community - New Here? Click To Register >

4 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 >   

Reply to this topic

Clathrate
filament
post Posted: Mar 8 2010, 12:39 AM
  Quote Post

Copenhagen was our leaders very last chance to combat global warming.
All they had to say was 'everybody adopt the vegetarian diet' and we could have made it.
Instead they were silent.

Now people are becoming incresingly aware of the methane pouring from previously frozen ice.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/seabed-m...00305-pox2.html

The human race is about to take a big hit.

--------------------
<p align="center"><b><font size="2
" color#0000FF" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">What lies behind us and what lies before us are
small matters compared to what lies within us.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson </font></b><br>

filament
post Posted: Nov 18 2009, 05:39 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: Wysiwyg's post @ Sep 29 2009, 03:03 AM

The sky is falling and it's past time to sound the alarm.
The only way we can stop the gas from escaping into our atmosphere is if everybody adopts the vegetarian diet.
There is no longer time left for green energy technologies to stop the gas;.

We have to look at the biggest contributor to global warming, the meat diet and simply switch over..
Even President Obama recognizes the environmental benefits and mentions saving a trillion dollars a year in hospital and medical bills caused by meat related illnesses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt56ER4TSqc

--------------------
" color#0000FF" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">What lies behind us and what lies before us are

Wysiwyg
post Posted: Sep 29 2009, 03:03 AM
  Quote Post

Dunno what the thread agenda is here but rather than be alarmist about the subject, why not welcome the changes being introduced by the Government and do our own bit at home too. Obviously pollution is a major issue worldwide and any reduction from anywhere is all the more welcome. There is one advantage to blowing it out of proportion and that is it brings the subject to attention of more of the typical ignoramus` in society. Maybe that is the agenda.

jacsar
post Posted: Sep 6 2009, 08:44 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: balance's post @ Jun 6 2008, 12:40 PM

Good topic and agree we should be offsetting our extra carbon emmissions as the population grows...howewer what is kept very quiet is the emissions of CO2 and methane everytime a volcano erupts....we should be trying to learn and create smart new technology for when oil runs out...so where will we get our plastics etc which the world as we know it ,cannot run efficiently without them....perhaps for the slow, time to read up on that smart little aussie company ...MEO and buy up big...cheers jacsar and I do hold

filament
post Posted: Sep 6 2009, 08:22 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: filament's post @ Sep 6 2009, 08:19 PM

Oh and the staircases along safety bay beach are collapsing into the rising sea.
its amazing to witness, 30 years ago i walked this beach and there was 20-30m of beachsand nice and dry to walk on.
Now the sea is eating away the sandunes.
There is no beach left at high tide.
Just sea meeting the coast.

--------------------

filament
post Posted: Sep 6 2009, 08:19 PM
  Quote Post

It's officially time to freak, and still most of us are complacent..

The world's leaders are now well aware of the methane clathrates melting and venting this dangerous gas into the sea and atmosphere.

The UN secretary himself recently visited the arctic and saw the catastrophic melting taking place..

"Ban also noted that methane, a greenhouse gas 20 times more heat-trapping than CO2, is escaping from reservoirs in melting permafrost and from the sea bed. In a study of such emissions published Aug. 29 in the Journal of Geophysical Research, a research team by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, underscored this. It concluded “that we may be greatly underestimating the methane fluxes presently occurring in the ocean and from underground into Earth’s atmosphere.” If so, this could drive global warming even faster than anticipated."

from

http://features.csmonitor.com/innovation/2...ut-of-the-sand/

and!

Over 250 plumes of gas have been discovered bubbling up from the sea floor to the west of the Svalbard archipelago, which lies north of Norway. The bubbles are mostly methane, which is a greenhouse gas much more powerful than carbon dioxide.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1762...-bubble-up.html

--------------------

filament
post Posted: Jun 6 2008, 01:11 PM
  Quote Post

In reply to: balance on Friday 06/06/08 12:40pm

That's a wise decision Balance, there are now water shortages around the world, California has just declared that they are in drought conditions, though they stopped short of declaring an emergency.

http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/jun2008/2008-06-05-092.asp

Arnie is quite enlightened on the subject of climate change and the state of California are now funneling billions of dollars into the fight against global warming.

California is the most populous state in America.

--------------------

balance
post Posted: Jun 6 2008, 12:40 PM
  Quote Post

Interesting topic.
I tend to think we are stuffing things up.How fast I dont know.How much is "natural" or induced also , I dont know. Why take the chance?
However what I do believe is that even if the climate changers are wrong and they could well be , the worst that we'll have are new industries and a cleaner planet.

We all probably have our won thoughts on this topic and it is always easy to find an "expert " to agree with us or to reinforce our own largely uneducated guesswork and opinions.

I'd rather back the greenhouse people and hope they are wrong , that we way we may avert disaster and if they are wrong we'll have a better place to live anyway.
Hate to think we had the chance to make a difference and &^%$ it up.

--------------------
Day Trader: Lowest form of life in the known universe.
Shorter: Can limbo under a day trader.
Investor: Salt of the Earth.Sits to the right of God (Warren Buffet)
Share prices are only ever manipulated down.
Paper losses are not really losses.
Chat site posters always know better & know more than anyone about anything.
I'm 29.
The cheque is in the mail.

jbeatty
post Posted: Jun 6 2008, 09:57 AM
  Quote Post

In reply to: filament on Friday 06/06/08 09:38am

Hasn't been reported on the net yet but i'll keep you posted when i have more info.

Thanks. Look forward to it.

The link you posted only states island submerging as a possibility if the models are correct.

If the models are correct.

IPCC Playstation projections again? biggrin.gif

--------------------
regards: jbeatty

filament
post Posted: Jun 6 2008, 09:38 AM
  Quote Post

In reply to: jbeatty on Friday 06/06/08 09:15am

They are wee islands like this one...

http://www.livemint.com/2007/12/03220918/I...ay-be-wipe.html

Hasn't been reported on the net yet but i'll keep you posted when i have more info.

--------------------

4 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 >

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareScene.com, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING