Logo
Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome to ShareScene - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Australia's Sharemarket Community - New Here? Click To Register >

3 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 >   

Reply to this topic

How do you survive a crash?
mpl
post Posted: Jul 29 2011, 08:16 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mistagear's post @ Jul 29 2011, 07:51 PM

NO NO Mistagear.

No preservation action to be had. Patience is the key. No matter if it has given up over 60% of capital.

Or try the Head in the Sand approach. I hear it works for some. unsure.gif .

But hey just maybe one could even try as you suggested. RISK Management, Perhaps adjust one's approach to suit the market enviroment. Even try more than just trading LONG.

Or maybe we have just got to learn new skills. weirdsmiley.gif

Said 'Thanks' for this post: mistagear  arty  

mistagear
post Posted: Jul 29 2011, 07:51 PM
  Quote Post

How do I survive a crash ?

I dont have many, but as last resort, after doing everything possible to throttle steer, steer, balance the car and drive my way out of trouble, I apply as much brake as to not lock wheels, tuck my helmet down into my chest, fold my other foot (not the one I'm using to brake the car)back under the seat, let go of the steering wheel and cross arms to hold my safety harness. Just prior to the sudden bang, tuck the other leg under the seat (yes, the one that was on the brake pedal).... oh almost forgot .. Its about then I say out loud ... "OHHHH FARR*" ph34r.gif

BTW, I do my own roll cages, as well as trading with stop-losses

Cheers, M

--------------------
------------------------
[url="http://xgamesbowling.com"]X Games Bowling[/url]
Bear Cottage is the first children's hospice in NSW.

It is a place where children with terminal illnesses and their families can stay from time to time and receive rest and medical care in a home-like environment.

Please support >>> Bear Cottage for Kids,
An initiative of the Children's Hospital at Westmead NSW
http://www.bearcottage.chw.edu.au/

www.xgamesbowling.com

hoaky
post Posted: Jul 29 2011, 07:22 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: flower's post @ Jul 29 2011, 03:02 PM

you could build a boat out of gold as a hedge against gold confiscation ? I think gold crosses were exempt last time, so maybe you can glue all your ingots into crosses.... if it happens again. sad.gif

Attached File  image23.jpg ( 44.66K ) Number of downloads: 0

flower
post Posted: Jul 29 2011, 03:02 PM
  Quote Post

"How do you survive a crash?"----let's hope we dont find out the hard way--next week
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-07-28/c...de-default.html

Corporate treasurers are preparing for a downgrade of and potential default on U.S. Treasuries by shortening the average maturity of their holdings and moving more money into insured bank accounts and money-market mutual funds.

While companies aren't selling Treasuries, they are reinvesting cash from maturing securities in the shortest available instruments, consulting firm Treasury Strategies Inc. said in an e-mailed statement today, citing discussions with clients.

"Corporate treasurers are preparing for the unthinkable," Anthony Carfang, a partner in the Chicago-based firm, said in the statement

--------------------
Combining Fundamental comments with Fundamental charts.

nipper
post Posted: Dec 4 2010, 05:02 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: flower's post @ Nov 5 2010, 01:16 PM

"How did you go bankrupt?
Two ways. Gradually, then suddenly."

- Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises

--------------------
"Cause they told me everybody's got to pay their dues
And I explained that I had overpaid them"
- Rodriguez

"What a deplorable existence I lead in this absurd climate and under what frightful conditions! How boring! How stupid life is! What am I doing here?"
- Rimbaud 1884 (Aden)

flower
post Posted: Nov 5 2010, 01:16 PM
  Quote Post

Helicopter Ben may get far more inflation than even he bargained for--and in so doing may bring about a MASSIVE USD crash, if the USD Index cant hold support at 74-----then 71-----watch out below.

Have you got your USD Crash protection worked out---- icon14.gif
Attached File(s)
Attached File  USD_Crash.gif ( 10.9K ) Number of downloads: 9

--------------------

flower
post Posted: Aug 25 2010, 02:27 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Aug 25 2010, 02:19 PM

All these developments now set the scene for the Bernanke Speech on Friday at the Jackson Hole Conference. In many ways, equity investors are living on the hope that the fall in US growth is temporary and contained. Both of these hopes appear wishful thinking. It may be the speech at Jackson Hole that leads the equity market to more adequately test these unsustainable expectations.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Nipper- BB has only one course of action--------FLOOD the world with even more USD's---a happy outcome is indeed wishfull thinking--IMHO

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Aug 25 2010, 02:19 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: flower's post @ Aug 25 2010, 02:10 PM

Battellino Speech - recent speech entitled “Twenty Years of Global Growth” dated 20 August 2010, by the RBA Deputy Governor

..In a wide-ranging speech the deputy Governor highlighted the fact that the Australian savings rate is now elevated, relative to recent experience, especially the period between 1999-2009. Such an elevation reflects a more cautious approach to spending by consumers. This tone reflects recent financial market volatility, and caution about the future outlook. An increase in the savings rate will tend to dampen spending, from a structural point of view, and may make the transition, from public stimulation to private sector demand, more problematic. As such the elevation of the savings rate presents one of the constraints on the RBA; a factor that is preventing a tightening bias at this time....

.. Battellino was fairly upbeat on global growth, where he argued that the global outlook was robust, despite recent concerns about global growth. Also, the anticipated continuation of strong regional growth, with historically elevated prices, was argued to lead to favourable terms of trade, thus supporting household incomes. Investment in mining projects was expected to underpin economic growth, and ex-mining investment was also expected to rise, despite the capacity constraints evident in the economy. This growth was expected to offset a withdrawal of government stimulation in the near term, as the private sector effectively takes over from government stimulation....

...(Elsewhere) France has joined the US and the UK, in terms of recent downward guidance on growth. Some major investment banks have also revised growth expectations down significantly. These revisions are beginning to complete the picture forecast in May, (the growth implications of the Greek crisis).

All these developments now set the scene for the Bernanke Speech on Friday at the Jackson Hole Conference. In many ways, equity investors are living on the hope that the fall in US growth is temporary and contained. Both of these hopes appear wishful thinking. It may be the speech at Jackson Hole that leads the equity market to more adequately test these unsustainable expectations.

Revisions down in growth forecasts have been coming thick and fast, and the Jackson Hole Conference seems to be shaping up as a tipping point for global markets. Equity markets have been unwilling to build in the pessimism that is evident in the bond markets, and one would expect that this situation cannot persist; a correction in equities is now inevitable. If Bernanke further revises the outlook for US growth, which appears a reasonable assumption at this time, then this may provide one of the things that contributes to an adjustment in equity pricing; a correction that more adequately acknowledges bond market pricing.

In Australia, the Battellino speech highlighted the concerns of the RBA, and the constraints that are preventing the RBA from initiating a tightening bias at this time.

--------------------
"Cause they told me everybody's got to pay their dues
And I explained that I had overpaid them"
- Rodriguez

"What a deplorable existence I lead in this absurd climate and under what frightful conditions! How boring! How stupid life is! What am I doing here?"
- Rimbaud 1884 (Aden)

flower
post Posted: Aug 25 2010, 02:10 PM
  Quote Post

IMO this thread is worth revisiting in view of what MIGHT happen in the next few months, apart from cash what is the world currently doing?
IMHO they are buying solid assets areas, two that are becmming apparant are precious metals and the agricultural sector.

4 charts

MOO---an agricultural ETF
DBA----another agricultural ETF
USD Gold
USD Silver
Attached File(s)
Attached File  MOO.gif ( 7.51K ) Number of downloads: 7
Attached File  DBA.gif ( 10.24K ) Number of downloads: 6
Attached File  Gold_ETF.gif ( 11.16K ) Number of downloads: 5
Attached File  Silver_ETF.gif ( 12.54K ) Number of downloads: 5

--------------------

Twobees
post Posted: Oct 26 2009, 12:25 AM
  Quote Post

Dan Dorfman: Yikes, Not Another Market Crash

"His dour outlook -- clearly a contrarian view -- is largely based on a study he undertook of the vigor of second-quarter revenue growth (or the lack of it) of 228 industries. Consistent revenue growth is especially important because without it a company can not increase its dividends or grow its base. In this year's second quarter, such growth was conspicuously absent, and many companies only managed to avoid red ink by slashing costs, especially through personnel reduction.In his study -- which focused on second-quarter revenue growth, versus year-earlier numbers -- Markowski found that just 70 of the 228 industries, less than a third, managed to grow their revenue base in the quarter. Moreover, in the past two quarters, he points out, the number of industries able to grow revenues has fallen to new lows. Noting that revenue declines show no sign of bottoming, Markowski sees this dilemma growing progressively worse. In fact, the trend is so grim, he says, that by the end of next year, you could see the number of revenue-growing industries slide to 40 or maybe even below 20.Regarded as noteworthy on the revenue side of the ledger is that three leading technology names -- Microsoft, Intel and Dell -- all reported second-quarter revenue declines of more than 10% from the same 2008 perioed"

Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dan-dorfman/...omment_32045003

3 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 >

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareScene.com, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING