Logo
Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome to ShareScene - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Australia's Sharemarket Community - New Here? Click To Register >

4 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 >   

Reply to this topic

How do you survive a crash?
flower
post Posted: Oct 8 2014, 01:26 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: arty's post @ Oct 8 2014, 12:18 PM

1. Avoid the likelihood of a crash: Don't fly Malaysian Airlines. Stay clear of dangerous territories (Ukraine, Syria, Nigeria...). Don't invest more than you can comfortably lose in instruments that are emotion-laden and/or easily manipulated.

2. Limit the impact of a crash: Always wear a seatbelt. Stop-loss, Stop-loss, Stop-loss! Don't speed or text while driving. Ignore SPAM and websites or posters that clobber you with "advice" about their only way to riches.

Avoiding action already taken, about 70% in cash rolleyes.gif Barely know how to text---don't open emails from those I don't know, swapped my 1950 old grey Fergy, for a 1968 Mk 1 Triumph 2000, heavily modified to TR6 type performance levels, still intend to fly (not MAL), hope the buggers don't beat me before I get caught speeding---greenies don't like me cos it uses premium unleaded like a Boeing 707! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Combining Fundamental comments with Fundamental charts.

arty
post Posted: Oct 8 2014, 12:18 PM
  Quote Post

May I suggest two real life analogies:

1. Avoid the likelihood of a crash: Don't fly Malaysian Airlines. Stay clear of dangerous territories (Ukraine, Syria, Nigeria...). Don't invest more than you can comfortably lose in instruments that are emotion-laden and/or easily manipulated.

2. Limit the impact of a crash: Always wear a seatbelt. Stop-loss, Stop-loss, Stop-loss! Don't speed or text while driving. Ignore SPAM and websites or posters that clobber you with "advice" about their only way to riches.

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

flower
post Posted: Oct 8 2014, 11:49 AM
  Quote Post

Time to resurrect this thread? Tin hat time approaching once more?

Probably a touch early, no harm in adopting the boy scouts motto though--IMHO, things are beginning to turn worrisome.

Weekly SP 500 chart enclosed.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  tin_hat_time.gif ( 20.77K ) Number of downloads: 7

--------------------

mpl
post Posted: Jul 29 2011, 08:16 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mistagear's post @ Jul 29 2011, 07:51 PM

NO NO Mistagear.

No preservation action to be had. Patience is the key. No matter if it has given up over 60% of capital.

Or try the Head in the Sand approach. I hear it works for some. unsure.gif .

But hey just maybe one could even try as you suggested. RISK Management, Perhaps adjust one's approach to suit the market enviroment. Even try more than just trading LONG.

Or maybe we have just got to learn new skills. weirdsmiley.gif

Said 'Thanks' for this post: mistagear  arty  

mistagear
post Posted: Jul 29 2011, 07:51 PM
  Quote Post

How do I survive a crash ?

I dont have many, but as last resort, after doing everything possible to throttle steer, steer, balance the car and drive my way out of trouble, I apply as much brake as to not lock wheels, tuck my helmet down into my chest, fold my other foot (not the one I'm using to brake the car)back under the seat, let go of the steering wheel and cross arms to hold my safety harness. Just prior to the sudden bang, tuck the other leg under the seat (yes, the one that was on the brake pedal).... oh almost forgot .. Its about then I say out loud ... "OHHHH FARR*" ph34r.gif

BTW, I do my own roll cages, as well as trading with stop-losses

Cheers, M

--------------------
------------------------
[url="http://xgamesbowling.com"]X Games Bowling[/url]
Bear Cottage is the first children's hospice in NSW.

It is a place where children with terminal illnesses and their families can stay from time to time and receive rest and medical care in a home-like environment.

Please support >>> Bear Cottage for Kids,
An initiative of the Children's Hospital at Westmead NSW
http://www.bearcottage.chw.edu.au/

www.xgamesbowling.com

hoaky
post Posted: Jul 29 2011, 07:22 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: flower's post @ Jul 29 2011, 03:02 PM

you could build a boat out of gold as a hedge against gold confiscation ? I think gold crosses were exempt last time, so maybe you can glue all your ingots into crosses.... if it happens again. sad.gif

Attached File  image23.jpg ( 44.66K ) Number of downloads: 0

flower
post Posted: Jul 29 2011, 03:02 PM
  Quote Post

"How do you survive a crash?"----let's hope we dont find out the hard way--next week
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-07-28/c...de-default.html

Corporate treasurers are preparing for a downgrade of and potential default on U.S. Treasuries by shortening the average maturity of their holdings and moving more money into insured bank accounts and money-market mutual funds.

While companies aren't selling Treasuries, they are reinvesting cash from maturing securities in the shortest available instruments, consulting firm Treasury Strategies Inc. said in an e-mailed statement today, citing discussions with clients.

"Corporate treasurers are preparing for the unthinkable," Anthony Carfang, a partner in the Chicago-based firm, said in the statement

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Dec 4 2010, 05:02 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: flower's post @ Nov 5 2010, 01:16 PM

"How did you go bankrupt?
Two ways. Gradually, then suddenly."

- Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time."
- Dr John Hussman

flower
post Posted: Nov 5 2010, 01:16 PM
  Quote Post

Helicopter Ben may get far more inflation than even he bargained for--and in so doing may bring about a MASSIVE USD crash, if the USD Index cant hold support at 74-----then 71-----watch out below.

Have you got your USD Crash protection worked out---- icon14.gif
Attached File(s)
Attached File  USD_Crash.gif ( 10.9K ) Number of downloads: 11

--------------------

flower
post Posted: Aug 25 2010, 02:27 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Aug 25 2010, 02:19 PM

All these developments now set the scene for the Bernanke Speech on Friday at the Jackson Hole Conference. In many ways, equity investors are living on the hope that the fall in US growth is temporary and contained. Both of these hopes appear wishful thinking. It may be the speech at Jackson Hole that leads the equity market to more adequately test these unsustainable expectations.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Nipper- BB has only one course of action--------FLOOD the world with even more USD's---a happy outcome is indeed wishfull thinking--IMHO

--------------------

4 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 >

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareScene.com, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING