Logo
Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome to ShareScene - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Australia's Sharemarket Community - New Here? Click To Register >

Important Notice For All Members - ShareScene Is Moving

Reply to this topic

SVY, SAVOY EQUITIES LIMITED
nipper
post Posted: Jun 14 2018, 11:26 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ Jun 14 2018, 10:25 AM

PS. Go to Discussion Boards by clicking the SS logo top LH, then a New Topic button is revealed

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

nipper
post Posted: Jun 14 2018, 11:14 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ Jun 14 2018, 10:25 AM

About '83.... It was early days of the coal boom, looking in the Murray Basin for carbonaceous strata. The heavy minerals were just above bedrock, in sedimentary formations and gave rise to much source rock conjecture.

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

Said 'Thanks' for this post: triage  

triage
post Posted: Jun 14 2018, 10:25 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Jun 8 2018, 07:29 PM

hey nip, did you get your dates right (or were the grapes talking)? In one of the Stavely reports there is reference to CRA doing some drilling in that area from '95 to '97 but there was no mention of anything from the early 80's. Were you there in the 90's or was the drilling program in mid 90's CRA's second shot at finding something in the Mt Stavely area? Also Newcrest had a drilling campaign there in the early naughties so at least on paper the geology must be encouraging.

Chris Cairns reckons he's getting advice from a bloke by the name of Greg Corbett who claims to be a bit of a porphyry guru (of course he would say that) and one of the hc posters reckons that CC told him he has been talking to one of the Newcrest boffins. I suspect that CC is being a geologist's geologist and is earnest in thinking he can find the peophyry (if not the copper and gold).

What does worry me about this company is that there is too much talk about Cadia-style and the next Kalgoorie. For me, that sort of talk sets off all sorts of alarm bells. As an aside, I saw some puff piece talking up how another Pilberra gold explorer had picked up "thousands" of watermelon seeds of gold on their patch. It was only in the body of the piece that it was clarified that all those "thousands" of nuggets amounted to 6 oz. Sort of explains why the bloke who "discovered" the Pilberra fields sold his stake and now sells metal detectors.

PS After a decade here you would think I'd know how to start a new thread on ss but I don't. This one is clearly for a New Zealand stock. If CC finds anything Stavely might need its own thread.

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Mozart fixes everything and Messi is a dog

nipper
post Posted: Jun 8 2018, 07:29 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: triage's post @ Jun 8 2018, 06:23 PM

hey, nice journey (if less profitable than hoped for), triage . I followed Stavely SVY from their nearological association with Navarre NML, another 'motherload dreaming' story. Ultimately, futile.

... all this came about because in the early 1980's I followed a rig through the Murray basin, running geophysicals down precariously unstable drill-holes punched through Tertiary sediments to bedrock (for then-CRA, no less). Found a lot of sub-economic heavy metal and gold traces, but, and the camera doesn't lie, no Leica. But we wish to thank the good people of the Mallee-Wimmera for having nice rectangular road systems; makes it easier to do a grid-pattern sampling dispersion.

Ultimately, when involved in la recherche des fortunes perdues, for paydirt it is best to either find the intense but localised highly concentrated intrusion (but usually picked over or otherwise discovered by blokes with wheelbarrows ca 1890) or the diffuse low grade but widely spread orebody (like Boddington). Most of the rest of 'em are exercises in wishful speculative extrapolative dart throwing.

<the above reminiscence aided and abetted by a robust McLaren Vale Shiraz>

and, finally, vous souhaitant bonne reception.

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: triage  

triage
post Posted: Jun 8 2018, 06:23 PM
  Quote Post

Integra (IGR) was one of the first goldies I followed, going back over a decade now. The boss was a young geo, Chris Cairns, who when talking about kicking rocks was as bouncy as a kid in a lolly shop. I followed him to a couple of mining conferences, he was quite articulate and personable and better than most of his type at marketing. He had some early success but always seemed to be holding off waiting for that bonanza hit which never quite came. As agressive as he was with exploration I thought he was overly timid when moving into development and production. For instance the team at Silver Lake (SLR) started from scratch and went straight into production and for a while had great success. So much so, that they mounted a successful takeover of Integra just as Chris Cairns had finally taken his company into production.

My impression is that as it happened the Silver Lake side of operations crashed and burned and the company has become highly reliant on the assets they picked up from Integra.

A few years back I read somewhere that Chris Cairns and his accountant mate Peter Ironside had gone kicking rocks in western Victoria.

Then a couple of weeks ago I noticed that Silver Lake was nominating their next mine as a field that Chris Cairns had resourced up early on but had failed to find sufficient additional ore to justify mining. Today, I think (?), Silver Lake put out another statement saying that they had returned some high grade hits in a field that Chris Cairns had extensively explored - the luck of the bit, he had drilled to the east and found not much and they had drilled just to the west and hit paydirt. So it's off to the races for Silver Lake it seems, based to a resonable degree on the work done by Chris and his team.

All this caused me to track down what Chris Cairns is up to. Turns out, as nipper pointed out 4 years back, he and Peter Ironside and a South African geo, Jennifer Murphy, IPO'ed Stavely Minerals. And now Chris Cairns is back to his bubbly best, gushing that he thinks he has hit a "Cadia-style-gold-copper porphery" and all he has to do now is find the motherlode (if it exists). Now over the years I found Chris to be very optimistic about his work but he stayed within the bounds of geology, as in this case he is not saying that his discovery will be as big as Cadia just that it is of similar geology which means it could be as big as Cadia. Not unusually there is a gang of posters on hc who have lost the plot, dreaming of how many bags they are certain to get from Stavely.

Anyway, maybe Chris will find the bonanza field that he didn't quite discover at Integra. If not from this drilling campaign then maybe the next one, or the next one. The bloke is like a bloodhound, great to see someone who is right into their job.

--------------------
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent." John Maynard Keynes

"The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought." Rudiger Dornbush

Mozart fixes everything and Messi is a dog

nipper
post Posted: Jul 1 2014, 03:48 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: Lizard's post @ Aug 28 2009, 12:34 PM

the old Savoy SVY has now incarnate as Stavely Minerals - IPO at 20c in May

THE gloom surrounding cash-starved junior explorers is pretty much justified on the basis that, as most of them have nothing on the boil, either from a management or project point of view, they don't deserve the support of equity markets. But that is not to say all should be tarred with the same brush. Smart investors know that, which is why support for the right management team with the right project is still available.

That Chris Cairns has had success in pulling in $6.1m for the float of Victorian copper/gold explorer Stavely Minerals proves the point.

Stavely comes to market with its Thursday's Gossan copper prospect on the Stavely tablelands in western Victoria ready to drill. It is a big porphyry-style copper/gold system like Newcrest's Cadia monster in NSW. Thursday's Gossan comes with an inferred resource estimate of 28 million tonnes grading 0.4 per cent copper for 110,000 tonnes of contained copper. It is a near-surface blanket of secondary enriched mineralisation. But it was Cairns's conviction there was a deeper porphyry-style system present that sparked interest in a float while others have struggled.

Cairns reckons there were other good reasons why Stavely was able to swim against the tide and pull in the $6.1m. "There was no cheap seed stock issued, other than to the main players in the business. We felt this would eliminate the likelihood of seed stock being sold into the market immediately,'' Cairns said. "Investors are sick and tired of seeing the value of their 20c subscription stock get sold down by insiders selling cheaper seed stock, and we were determined to do our utmost to ensure that does not happen with Stavely by funding the company to initial public offering (stage) by ourselves.''

No argument with that, and worth a thought by others looking to come to market as things improve for the juniors.

BARRY FITZGERALD | The Australian

and quietly quietly to 30c, then 2 days ago Announced to market and has risen to 53c
Stavely Project
  • Well-developed porphyry-style alteration, quartz veining and sulphide mineralisation intersected over broad intervals in the first deep diamond drill hole to be completed at the Thursday's Gossan prospect to 522m.
  • Multiple phases and abundance of alteration, veining and sulphide mineralisation observed in the drill core are very favourable indicators that the target porphyry has the capacity to host well-developed copper-gold mineralisation, which will be tested with additional drilling.
  • Alteration intensified from distal propylitic to a phyllic overprint and across a fault back into propylitic, with the drill hole interpreted to have glanced – or drilled over the top of – the potassic alteration zone where well developed copper-gold mineralisation could be expected.
  • This maiden drill hole is considered an outstanding success and will provide a very important vector into the target zone to be tested with subsequent drill holes.
Ararat Project
  • First RC drill hole targeting the northern extensions of the Mt Ararat copper-gold-zinc VMS deposit has intersected pyrite-pyrrhotite-chalcopyrite-sphalerite mineralisation over 4m as predicted by ground EM modelling – drilling continuing.
  • RC drilling of ground EM conductors at the Carroll's prospect, located north of the Mt Ararat VMS deposit, has intersected magnetite, pyrite, pyrrhotite and chalcopyrite at the depths expected in the EM model. This is considered very encouraging for subsequent down-hole EM surveying and targeting of massive sulphide mineralisation at depth

--------------------

Lizard
post Posted: Aug 28 2009, 12:34 PM
  Quote Post

I'd always wanted to post on SVY and so last year I gave it my best. Now I discover my efforts have been amputated at the neck. Which pretty much sums up this long-struggling company!

The new Malaria treatment looks interesting though. It might be worth watching, though I doubt they've got the skills and capital to exploit the opportunity they've identified. Assuming it's not just a mirage of an oasis in the eyes of a desert-wandering company.

ShareScene.com
post Posted: Feb 3 2009, 10:00 AM
  Quote Post

Company:
SAVOY EQUITIES LIMITED

Code:
SVY

Website
N/A

Lizard
post Posted: Sep 1 2008, 01:37 PM
  Quote Post

I've always wanted an excuse to post on this company that can't decide whether it's named after a cabbage or a posh hotel... this company has existed in the market under the same name for nearly as long as I've been investing - and yet it

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING