Logo
Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome to ShareScene - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Australia's Sharemarket Community - New Here? Click To Register >

Important Notice For All Members - ShareScene Is Moving

2 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 >   

Reply to this topic

NZX, NEW ZEALAND EXCHANGE LIMITED
plastic
post Posted: Aug 6 2017, 05:37 AM
  Quote Post

New website coming up. Been shut down all weekend for "maintenance".

What's so special about the new one?

--------------------
What did Uncle Mel do to us?

plastic
post Posted: Jul 13 2017, 11:46 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: plastic's post @ Aug 30 2012, 04:02 PM

The now previously previous CEO was handpicked don't forget and then anointed by John Key.

It's like how can you take a tax cut out of something and not call it a tax? Or how can you nationalize private property but still call yourself a business friendly free market economy?

My guess would be to take an equity stake in a heavily shorted stock then draw dividends. Does it matter if its the government doing what everyone else is doing?

--------------------

marketwinner
post Posted: Jan 10 2014, 12:31 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: plastic's post @ Aug 30 2012, 04:02 PM

New Zealand market did well along with few markets such as Pakistan and Sri-Lanka when compare with other markets in the Asia Pacific region this week. Is there any reason that New Zealand market is resilient?

plastic
post Posted: Aug 30 2012, 04:02 PM
  Quote Post

Well for all the secrecy surrounding short sales on the NZX it looks like they themselves are being short sold and they don't know by who. Down nearly thirty percent in a few months.

For my money, it'll be something associated with the previous CEO.

--------------------

plastic
post Posted: May 24 2012, 01:17 PM
  Quote Post

Does anyone know how you get to do a short sale on the NZX? My broker says its not allowed.

Fancy not being able to see what the short position is in a stock you might want to buy in to. No wonder Kiwi's are so gun shy of the stockmarket when it is rigged so heavily.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  ShortSalesNZX.JPG ( 27.57K ) Number of downloads: 26

--------------------

plastic
post Posted: Oct 5 2009, 09:19 AM
  Quote Post

The market taskforce should pay attention. Especially after ASIC is to remove the regulation function away from the ASX.

The NZX are trying to make cap. raisings even easier after several this year have left holders totally shafted.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/tighter-rul...91004-ghv2.html

Tighter rules on capital raisings

ERIC JOHNSTON
October 5, 2009 THE Australian Securities Exchange is considering tightening rules on capital raisings after investors have exploited a loophole during heavily discounted rights issues that often delivers them windfall gains at the expense of long-term shareholders.

The ASX is undertaking a broader review of procedures surrounding capital raisings. Australian companies tapped shareholders for a record $90 billion in the last financial year.

The money raised has allowed companies to bolster their balance sheets during a time of economic turmoil, but there are concerns that the structure of many of the raisings have benefited large institutional shareholders at the expense of smaller retail investors. The latter have had their shareholdings diluted, and in some cases have been shut out of new placements.

''Boards must realise the importance of retail shareholders … it is the right way to go to ensure there is adequate protection for the retail shareholders,'' said the chairman of the ASX, David Gonski.

--------------------

plastic
post Posted: Aug 30 2009, 12:31 PM
  Quote Post

I distinctly recall Mark Weldon being on National Radio one morning while the markets were in meltdown last year, being asked is there any short selling in the NZ market. A small stammer and a pause later, he confidently declared there was a little bit but nothing of any note. Certainly not to have any effect on the market or companies.

When you see FPA and NPX get destroyed by short sellers and now PGG one can only conclude the cancer that is shorting is for the privilege of his masters alone. No wonder he won't publish any data about it and is happy to deceive all and sundry through the media channels.

It is further proof of why the regulation and disclosure of the NZX needs to go to a body with teeth rather than be under the control of this Lapdog Weldon.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/

The stock exchange doesn't publish information on short-selling of shares where investors sell stock they don't own in the expectation of price falls. The Sunday Star-Times asked it whether there had been short selling in PGG Wrightson or PGC, but NZX had not responded by press time.

--------------------

plastic
post Posted: Aug 21 2009, 03:23 PM
  Quote Post

Despite the claim of victory the practice continues.

<H1 class=blog_heading>A (minor) victory over NZX</H1>

11:40am 28 Jul 2009 One of the enduring issues of conflict that I had kept in reserve for later was NZX's 20 minute delay rule on the publishing on its website of listed company announcements.

NZX has historically delayed the publication of announcements from companies for 20 minutes while allowing those who pay access to this information in real time. This therefore allows those who pay a 20 minute advantage. As NZX has joint (with the Securities Commission) responsibility for policing insider trading, the anomaly of actually making profit from facilitating some to trade (for 20 minutes) with inside information is simply unacceptable.

--------------------

plastic
post Posted: Jul 23 2009, 06:06 PM
  Quote Post

Bruce is doing what he does best: getting up peoples noses.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/blogs/stir...w-NZX-functions

Why we should care how NZX functions

NZX's role as both market facilitator and market regulator in itself did not create an issue of a potential threat to confidence. But its role as a for-profit company operating in its own market place and facilitating its own trading and raising of capital has heightened this conflict to the point that it is damaging the confidence of investors to invest. And thus it could be argued is damaging our nation, our people and their lives.

My last three blogs on this topic have got up Weldon's and NZX's noses. They wrote a long letter of complaint to the Shareholders Association. Wrong body to write to with respect, as this blog is not the voice of the NZSA - it is my private view. The NZSA has its own voice. As it was written to them I can't publish NZX's letter and I suspect the NZSA will decide not either as it will give credence to NZX Chairman Andrew Harmos's confusion. If you are interested in getting a copy email him on andrew.harmos@hhl.co.nz

If you do ask for a copy of his letter, you will if you read it carefully see that his letter indicates that I am hitting home on these points. Sure he reminds them that regulation is an activity operationally separate from NZX, and led by an Independent QC. Hell, I know all that. He goes on to say that the QC is not paid from fines, but he is silent on how he is paid... Harmos and Weldon have both said that it costs NZX money to run regulation. If this is true, which I seriously doubt, how is this a good thing for their shareholders? Perhaps it is time they asked?

--------------------

plastic
post Posted: Jul 21 2009, 11:16 AM
  Quote Post

How to screw over shareholders in one easy go.

Check out the exemptions.

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/...DLM1914301.html

--------------------

2 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 >

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING