Logo
Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome to ShareScene - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Australia's Sharemarket Community - New Here? Click To Register >

Important Notice For All Members - ShareScene Is Moving

2 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 >   

Reply to this topic

Climate, Earth's Climate
henrietta
post Posted: Dec 7 2018, 06:36 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Dec 7 2018, 06:01 PM

Well, thank goodness we have finally reached the point of no return, because now we can all just relax, not worry about trying to save the world, we can stop wasting billions a year on futile "climate saving" pursuits, and get on with just being happy little capitalists.

Fat chance !!

Cheers
J

nipper
post Posted: Dec 7 2018, 06:01 PM
  Quote Post

What's the point? (Are we there yet?)
The point of no return.

- Robin McKie, The Guardian, December 2, 2018:
As the UN sits down for its annual climate conference this week, many experts believe we have passed the point of no return …

- Amitabh Avasthi, Science, March 17, 2005:
Climate’s Point of No Return … Models suggest that, regardless of human intervention, the oceans will keep fuel­ling global warming and sea levels will continue to rise … (for) 100 years.

- Mich­ael McCarthy, The Indepen­dent, January 16, 2006:
The world has already passed the point of no return for climate change, and civilisation as we know it is now unlikely to survive …

- Ross Gelbspan, Grist, Decem­ber 11, 2007:
Beyond the Point of No Return. It’s too late to stop climate change … Leading scientists — including Raj­endra Pachauri, head of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, British ecologist James Lovelock and NASA scientist James Hansen — have declared that hum­anity is about to pass or already has passed a “tipping point” … (for) global warming.

- Gwynne Dyer, Straight.com, July 27, 2010:
We are passing the point of no return on climate change.

- Brad Plumer, The Washington Post, November 10, 2011:
When do we hit the point of no return for climate change? … Around 2017.

- David Perlman, sfgate.com, June 7, 2012:
Warming nears point of no return

- Peter Walker, The Independent, December 1, 2016:
Climate change escalating so fast it is “beyond point of no return”. New study rewrites two decades of research and author says we are “beyond point of no return”.

- Science Daily, August 30, 2018:
If governments don’t act decisively by 2035 to fight climate change, hum­anity could cross a point of no return after which limiting global warming below 2C in 2100 will be unlikely …

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/opinion/cu...20364886b0fdcf6

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

joules mm1
post Posted: Nov 3 2018, 09:32 AM
  Quote Post

Robert Rohde‏ @RARohde Oct 28 The era of continuous sea ice monitoring from space began 40 years ago with the SMMR on the Nimbus-7 satellite. In this image, I compare the first satellite-based Arctic sea ice map to present conditions 40 years later. Today, we have 28% less sea ice than was originally seen.

Attached File  ice_031118.png ( 411.09K ) Number of downloads: 1

-------------

Glaciers in the Yukon territory are retreating even faster than expected in a warming climate, scientists warn

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/...yukon-shrinking

Attached File  ice_flows.png ( 521.79K ) Number of downloads: 0

--------------------
. . . . . . . . everything has an art.....in the instance of the auction process, the only thing, needed to be listened to; price

joules mm1
post Posted: Oct 28 2018, 10:28 AM
  Quote Post

https://twitter.com/i/status/1056312082100965376
Reuters Top News‏Verified account @Reuters 2h2 hours ago Uncover the climate-change crisis beneath the surface of the sea with ‘Ocean Shock’ - launching soon

for the sake of balance, let's ask the question "what happened to fish stocks being over grazed by fisheries?"

just placing the GW monika over a subject, so well studied for cause and effect already, doesnt validate either way, certainly does

defer from those studies and makes them less relevent ....but....is that a good thing

just attributing for the sake of emotive attribution lessens the effort to reverse the depletion of fish stocks

fwiw fish are a leading cause of inflammatory diseases thru diet.....great for dolphins n whales n birds

--------------------
. . . . . . . . everything has an art.....in the instance of the auction process, the only thing, needed to be listened to; price

blacksheep
post Posted: Oct 25 2018, 07:50 PM
  Quote Post

New York sues Exxon for misleading investors on climate change risk
OCTOBER 25, 2018 / 4:40 AM
HOUSTON (Reuters) - New York’s attorney general sued Exxon Mobil Corp (XOM.N) on Wednesday, alleging that the world’s largest oil company for years misled investors about the risks of climate change regulations on its business.

Exxon and other oil companies including BP Plc (BP.L), Chevron Corp (CVX.N) and Royal Dutch Shell (RDSa.AS) face lawsuits by cities and counties across the United States seeking funds to pay for seawalls and other infrastructure to guard against rising sea levels brought on by climate change.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-exxon-mo...k-idUSKCN1MY2IB

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-exxon-mo...s-idUSKCN1MY30A

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

mullokintyre
post Posted: Oct 19 2018, 05:26 PM
  Quote Post

Agh, ya can't beat an academic for logic!

Graeme Smith, from the Australian National University's Department of Pacific Affairs, said politicians had been committing a "comedy of errors" when it came to Pacific relations in recent weeks.

Former president of Kiribati asks Australians for help
Former president of Kiribati asks Australians for help
Anote Tong, whose island nation is being destroyed by climate change, has appealed to Australians for help.
Proposed changes to the Pacific seasonal worker program sparked serious concern across the region, forcing a Government backflip, while the Pacific portfolio was recently downgraded to an assistant minister position.

There has been growing concern over China's investment in the region and the influence that brings, leading Australia and the US to compete for prominence.

But Mr Smith said China was also ahead of Australia on climate change in the Pacific — and willing to provide the needed funding — which presented a "massive problem" for Canberra.

"The irony is, of course, that when you talk to the Chinese officials they're more than willing to stump up the cash for climate change because however authoritarian their Government might be, they still listen to their scientists and they still believe that climate change is a real thing," he said.

"That is one area that China really has an edge over Australia and the US at the moment in the Pacific."

China is giving money for climate change because its politically smart to do so. They don't give a rats about climate change, if they did they would have signed up to Kyoto, Paris etc and started reducing their CO2 emissions.
Why are the pacific leaders not castigating the biggest polluter, China??
Because it ain't politically smart!.
Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: Pendragon  

mullokintyre
post Posted: Oct 11 2018, 01:50 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Oct 11 2018, 12:26 PM

Didn't work too well for Lennin!
Mick

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Oct 11 2018, 12:26 PM
  Quote Post

Relax. Some insightful monomaniac will come out with a pamphlet, Chto delat'? , What Is To Be Done? and we will all be saved.

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

Mags
post Posted: Oct 11 2018, 08:09 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mullokintyre's post @ Oct 10 2018, 09:21 PM

The greenies are really hurting their own cause here. There's no doubt pollution is a major problem, real, toxic, deadly pollution. This get's pushed aside while 'activists' run around claiming CO2 is a disaster.

If you wanna talk 'average temperature' changes, just consider a lovely spring day: It's 24 degrees in the sunlight, then if it's a cloudless night, within hours it's 8 degrees. Or if there's clouds, it's 20 degrees.
Related to CO2? Nah. (You NEVER hear them mention that the greenhouse gases has one component that's accountable for 70% of it's effect, and it's called water vapour.......)

And isn't it interesting that government weather stations are always at air ports??? And if that isn't enough, a private study in USA found a significant proportion are installed in a jet wash path :-0
CO2 is one of the most obscene theories that has gained traction. It's simply mind-blowing how smart individuals fall for this crap: But it's a well run campaign, just like the descrimination movement, if you're not 100% on board with them you're a denier.... Huh? After 100+ years of spitting CO2 into the atmosphere, has it changed? Not on a level they can even measure or prove... but if you disagree with their theory you're instantly a cave-man, capitalist pig, denier.
Blah.
No wonder the rich get richer, it's so easy to manipulate the masses.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: Mork  NPH  

mullokintyre
post Posted: Oct 10 2018, 09:21 PM
  Quote Post

Another foreign celebrity has arrived on our shores to bestow his enormous wisdom upon us.
We are about to be saved. (again!)

From ABC NEWS

Billionaire Sir Richard Branson has likened climate change to World War III and criticised the Australian Government for failing to do more to curb rising greenhouse gas emissions.

The Virgin founder said he is testing new recycled aviation fuel to be used in his planes but that governments needed to do more too.

"It's going to need the world to take this problem very very seriously," he told 7.30.

"Let's pretend this is World War III.

"My feeling is that we need to convene governments and the business sector … on a global basis.

Forget about the fact that he is a billionaire largely due to spewing out tons of CO2 from his ocean crossing jets.
Whether its recycled fuel or primasry fuel does not change the amount of CO2 it spwes out on a combustion process.

Forget about the fact that the biggest emitter of CO2 is Cghina, which miraculously escapes criticism for its massive CO2 output.
The hippocacy is sickening.
No one wants to criticise China for fear of economic or political reprisals.
It is continually increasing emissions,promising to reduce them from 2030 onwards.
It ts almost like their CO2 is less harmfll than our CO2.
And of course there India, and the USA, neither of whom are parties to the Paris agreement.
And of course Germany, Poland, Italy and Greece are unlikely to meet their targets anyway.
But those wasters in OZ, they are the laggards.
Climate Change has nothing to do with science, its a political animal dressed in scientific clothes.

Mick

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: Pendragon  

2 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 >

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING