Logo
Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome to ShareScene - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Australia's Sharemarket Community - New Here? Click To Register >

Important Notice For All Members - ShareScene Is Moving

6 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

NHC, NEW HOPE CORPORATION LIMITED
nipper
post Posted: Dec 7 2018, 01:18 PM
  Quote Post

Rehabilitation after mining: local realities, that maybe, just maybe, OS entities may want to skip.

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

nipper
post Posted: Dec 7 2018, 01:18 PM
  Quote Post

Answer:
All mining companies are required to be responsible for the rehabilitation of mines following cessation of mining activities.

The regulatory obligations and financial undertakings to ensure appropriate remediation are significant. But our approach has been to exceed the regulatory requirements.

If you look at New Hope as an example of the culture that exits with respect to rehabilitation of mines, they are best in class at rehabilitating the land and ensuring environmental remediation.

On the screen are some photos of the rehabilitation that has taken place at New Hope’s New Oakleigh mine which ceased operation in 2012. Today you wouldn’t even know a mine was ever there.
- Slide 23 of SOL presentation at its AGM

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

blacksheep
post Posted: Aug 7 2018, 12:11 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Aug 7 2018, 11:51 AM

True - WES currently up 0.55% and NHC 7.84% - WES has been trying to exit the coal asset for a number of years, so good news to finally achieve a sale at a not so bad price
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

nipper
post Posted: Aug 7 2018, 11:51 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: blacksheep's post @ Aug 7 2018, 11:13 AM

Didn't hurt WES, either.

--------------------

blacksheep
post Posted: Aug 7 2018, 11:13 AM
  Quote Post

Market appears to like this morning's ann in which they have committed to acquire up to a further 40% interest in Bengalla. SP up 6.9% currently - @ $3.41

New Hope Corporation Limited (ASX: NHC) has reached a binding commitment with
Wesfarmers Limited (ASX: WES) to purchase a further 40% interest in the Bengalla Joint
Venture for $860 million.

New Hope currently has a 40% interest in the Bengalla Joint Venture. New Hope’s final
interest in the Bengalla Joint Venture will be dependent on the actions of the other Joint
Venture participants, Mitsui and Taipower, during the pre-emptive rights process under the
Bengalla Joint Venture Deed.

Following completion of the transaction which is anticipated to occur in late 2018, New Hope
will own up to an 80% interest in the Bengalla Joint Venture. It is anticipated that the
transaction will be financed by a combination of cash and new debt facilities. The transaction
will be subject to the usual regulatory processes.

New Hope’s Managing Director, Shane Stephan said “the acquisition of an additional interest
in Bengalla demonstrates New Hope’s long term commitment to the Bengalla mine and a
positive outlook for the global export thermal coal market."

Mr Stephan also stated that New Hope remains committed to securing approval for the
continuation of the New Acland mine and in doing so being able to provide ongoing
employment for the circa 700 jobs reliant on its operations.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

nipper
post Posted: Mar 20 2018, 08:42 PM
  Quote Post

While New Hope's Queensland mines produced more coal than the company's NSW mines, the latter was a bigger contributor to earnings.

Premium thermal coal from the Hunter Valley, where New Hope has a 40 per cent stake in the Bengalla mine, averaged $US100 ($130) per tonne during the six months to January 31. The Bengalla mine contributed $58.7 million to earnings over the past six months, and if that rate of profitability were maintained, the acquisition would pay for itself within seven years.

New Hope was initially considered to have paid a high price for the Bengalla stake, but in hindsight the transaction was completed at the bottom of the coal market. Aside from being well timed, the transaction has provided New Hope with some crucial diversification, given it continues to struggle with permitting for the expansion of its Acland mine in Queensland.
"Despite the high Australian dollar prices you are not seeing a supply response yet out of Australia, so the last three years Australian thermal coal exports have been flat at about 200 million tonnes per annum.

"That is a key feature, and I don't think a lot of people are really appreciating that; there is increasing competition for that available supply of that high-quality thermal coal but there is not an increasing supply of it" CEO Shane Stephan said.

--------------------

blacksheep
post Posted: Nov 28 2017, 03:12 PM
  Quote Post

Soul Patts sells $176m stake in New Hope Coal
Nov 28 2017 at 3:46 PM Updated 8 mins ago Sarah Thompson , Anthony Macdonald , Joyce Moullakis
Read more: http://www.afr.com/street-talk#ixzz4zhSPVP4R

Shares were sold @ $2.20 and reduces SP's stake to 50%
Attached Image

--------------------

mcart117
post Posted: Apr 22 2013, 01:48 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: daggie's post @ Apr 19 2013, 12:50 PM

I bought some for $1.30 in September 2006 and they were among my best performing shares through the GFC and beyond. Somewhat sadly I sold them for $4.09 early last month because I wanted to reduce my exposure to coal, and I'm quite glad I did.

I might one day buy back, but not yet.

Said 'Thanks' for this post: daggie  

daggie
post Posted: Apr 19 2013, 12:50 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: daggie's post @ Oct 17 2011, 10:29 AM

It has been a long time since my last post on NHC. The way the sp is going can be only described as disastrous.
Are there any holders of this dog still on SS and if so, would you share your thoughts, please???

daggie
post Posted: Oct 17 2011, 10:29 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: Hotfire's post @ Oct 6 2011, 08:43 PM

Well, what a surprise, NHC sp is around $6.45. I sold too early. Still there is a chance to buy today to get a divvy (20c) per share and hope that the bid will be north of $7. Any thoughts Newhopers???

6 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING