Logo
Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome to ShareScene - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Australia's Sharemarket Community - New Here? Click To Register >

Important Notice For All Members - ShareScene Is Moving

4 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 >   

Reply to this topic

Water
blacksheep
post Posted: Dec 12 2018, 08:09 PM
  Quote Post

Harvard Quietly Amasses California Vineyards—and the Water Underneath
Making a bet on climate change, the university’s $39 billion endowment has been snapping up farmland and the related water rights

Harvard’s bet has proven prescient. The $39 billion fund, among America’s biggest endowments, now values its vineyards at $305 million, up nearly threefold from in 2013, while its overall natural-resources investments have done poorly.

In a warming planet, few resources will be more affected than water, as more-frequent droughts, storms and changes in evaporation alter a flow critical for drinking, farming and industry.

Even though there aren’t many ways to make financial investments in water, investors are starting to place bets. Buying arable land with access to it is one way. In California’s Central Coast, “the best property with the best water will sell for record-breaking prices,” says JoAnn Wall, a real-estate appraiser who specializes in vineyards, “and properties without adequate water will suffer in value.”

Investors who see agriculture as a proxy for betting on water include Michael Burry, a hedge-fund investor whose wager against the U.S. housing market was chronicled in the book and movie “The Big Short.” In a 2015 New York Magazine interview, Mr. Burry was quoted as saying: “What became clear to me is that food is the way to invest in water. That is, grow food in water-rich areas and transport it for sale in water-poor areas.” Mr. Burry declined to comment.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/harvard-quietl...=trending_now_1

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

nipper
post Posted: Sep 16 2018, 10:30 AM
  Quote Post

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/w...438ebffb58fc95c

D2O, WBA, SHV

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

blacksheep
post Posted: Jul 6 2018, 04:01 PM
  Quote Post

An interest read - The day they turned off the taps - http://aheadoftheherd.com/Newsletter/2018/...ff-the-taps.pdf

Conclusion
Our world’s most precious resource, water, is in danger from rising temperatures
due to human-caused or natural global warming. The changes are so gradual that
most of us don’t even notice they’re happening. What does it matter if the sea
rises a few centimeters a year, or if the aquifers are losing groundwater? It
matters because we interfere with nature at our peril.

As we stated at the top, of all the water on Earth, less than 1% is fresh - found in
underground aquifers, lakes and rivers. It’s actually very little, and it doesn’t take
much to throw the entire system into chaos. We rely on aquifers not only for
drinking water, but to irrigate land and grow crops. Saudi Arabia is a good
example of a country that over-pumped its water supplies so much that it can no
longer produce its own food. Droughts caused by a warming planet are getting
more frequent and lasting longer. Combine depleting aquifers and saltwater
intrusion with desertification, and you have a recipe for crop failure, leading to
food insecurity, higher food prices, starvation, mass dislocations of populations
and possibly even wars. The next time you fill a glass of water from your tap at
home, think of where it came from, and how much is left.

--------------------
The herd instinct among forecasters makes sheep look like independent thinkers. Edgar Fiedler

If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. George Washington

nipper
post Posted: Jul 3 2018, 10:55 PM
  Quote Post

Financial Review - afr.com
Blue Sky Alternative Investments has defended the strategy behind its water fund, saying there is no impropriety involved and that it could not move the market for water rights in its trading activities.

Acting Blue Sky boss Kim Morison told The Australian Financial Review's Chanticleer column on June 27 that Blue Sky accounts for only 10 or 20 per cent of transactions in the entire Australian water market. In the same interview, he acknowledged "there is a rumour around that this is a Ponzi scheme", which he forcefully rebutted and Blue Sky backed up in a separate update on Tuesday.

"Blue Sky actively limits its deployment of committed capital to prevent artificial inflation of market prices over time," the company said in an ASX statement. On the basis of its "relatively low level of monthly turnover", Blue Sky "rarely outbids irrigators in the various regional water markets". Irrigators are the end users of water.

"Blue Sky categorically rejects any suggestion that its activities in Australia's water markets" are "illegitimate, lack due process and governance, or are inconsistent with principles of the National Water Initiative to promote markets to allow water to trade to its highest and best use."....

..Water market experts supported the view that investor participants could not corner the market, which is dominated by irrigators and government owners.

Alister Walsh, director of water at Duxton Capital and manager of the ASX-listed Duxton Water, estimated that state and Commonwealth governments held around 30 per cent of the rights in the Southern connected system which covers the Murray Darling.

"Of the roughly 70 per cent of rights that are left, the majority are held by irrigators themselves; using the data available to us we estimate only 3 to 5 per cent are held by investor groups, like Duxton Water," he said.

"Groups like ourselves which are coming into the market, not looking to use the water for production, are able to provide alternative water supply solutions (like long-term leases) that are supporting the development of further agri-production in these regions. For irrigators, their decision on what to pay for water comes down to the economic return per megalitre that they can generate in their respective industries."

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

nipper
post Posted: Sep 12 2017, 11:12 AM
  Quote Post

Steady drip of allegations
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-11/d...fficial/8892208

And now ICAC investigating http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-11/m...456?pfmredir=sm

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Jul 10 2017, 01:25 PM
  Quote Post

The number of farms across Australia that irrigate has dropped to 22,700 in the year to June 2016 from 36,200 in the year to June 2014

Colliers International's Rural & Agribusiness director of valuation Shaun Hendy said he had noticed certain changes to what farmers were doing with water. "There are structural changes going on which would account for the changes in usage and that includes an increase in high-valued permanent tree plantings and the transition from traditional irrigated rice production to irrigated cotton – which uses less water per hectare basis," Mr Hendy said.

"We have observed that as part of the structural change in rice growing to cotton growing, irrigators are using less water and selling surplus water into the temporary water markets." "There may also be a decrease in farms that irrigate because they may have sold the water to the government or the farms might have amalgamated."

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: early birds  

nipper
post Posted: Jul 10 2017, 12:04 PM
  Quote Post

Australian farmers are using about 23 per cent less water for their food and fibre production than they were just three years ago with government water buybacks, structural changes, and seasonal conditions all playing a key part in the overall reduction.

In the year to June 2016, about 85,000 farming enterprises used 9.2 million megalitres of water – or about 3.7 million Olympic size pools – for their crops, horticulture and animals. That figure is down from the 11.9 million megalitres used in the year to June 2013, according to the newly released data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

The majority of water used on farms is for irrigation and that figure has also reduced to 8.38 million megalitres from 8.95 million megalitres in June 2015 and 11.1 million megalitres in the year to June 2013.

The water use is likely to continue to reduce as farmers make changes to the way they farm and the government continues to take water out of the system.

Last month the Commonwealth government purchased all 21,901 megalitres of Tandou's Lower Darling irrigation water entitlements south of Menindee, NSW for $78 million from listed group Webster as part of the government's plan to decommission the Lake Tandou irrigation system which had been used for irrigated farming.

Read more: http://www.afr.com/real-estate/australian-...f#ixzz4mOGjTT9J

--------------------

Said 'Thanks' for this post: triage  

nipper
post Posted: May 29 2017, 09:16 PM
  Quote Post

At the high-tech end of the water sector, Israeli firm and ASX listed Emefcy Group (EMC) has developed a Membrane Aerated Biofilm Reactor (MABR) product that enables wastewater to be reused for specific purposes such as crop irrigation. Emefcy has designed its technology for remote areas, invariably in poor parts of the world that suffer from severe water shortages.

The company announced it has three new commercial agreements in China and investors lifted the SP 27 per cent so far since the beginning of May.

"Anything that looks to contribute solutions to China's extremely serious water issues is likely to receive investor interest," Tom King, chief investment officer of Nanuk Asset Management, said. "But a lot of these smaller companies have a lot of value ascribed to the future."

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Feb 14 2017, 09:14 AM
  Quote Post

• Blue Sky Water Fund (unlisted fund)
The Alternatives Fund's investment in the Blue Sky Water Fund increased 1.35% in January, with Water Entitlement values strengthening across most of the portfolio during the month. NSW general security Water Entitlements were the best performers with some prices rising 6% over the month.

• Duxton Water Limited (ASX: D2O)
Current inflows remain above average which is assisting to build momentum towards higher water availability for next season. Deliveries of Goulburn Inter Valley Transfers commenced in January. These IVT deliveries reopened the opportunities for temporary allocation trade out of the Goulburn valleys into the Murray system. This has been the catalyst for the temporary price decline (-2.23% for one month; -0.11% for 3 months). However, if dry conditions persist and current maturation of crops and/or carryover demand improves, a new price floor may emerge.

huh?

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: Nov 28 2016, 10:15 AM
  Quote Post

So far in the 2016-17 water year, dams have been filling and rivers such as the Murrumbidgee have flooded. Water allocations that traded between $200 and $300 per megalitre last year, reflecting the lack of water availability in that particular season, are now trading at between $50 and $100 per megalitre.

But there have still been major water transactions occurring, and capital raisings have gone ahead for new funds looking to buy into Australia's water market. Australia's water entitlement market is now worth more than $30 billion, and groups such as the Blue Sky Water Fund have enjoyed strong returns. Since inception in 2012, Blue Sky has returned 100 per cent, and managing director Kim Morison says the record rains and politics are only a temporary setback for the market. "While wet weather may take the wind out of our sails today, it also builds up the wave behind us," Mr Morison says. "There is an abundance of supply right now and demand for water this year is down on last year at this point in time because irrigators have not commenced irrigating their fields."

However he says that the return of hot summer conditions will likely stimulate demand and a recovery in water allocation prices. Water allocations are how much water an entitlement holder is allowed to take in any one season. Allocations depend on the temporary flows of water. Blue Sky owns the entitlements and both leases out and trades the allocations it receives for its entitlement.

Colliers International's water valuer Alex Delves says water entitlement values – the ones which water funds are likely to own – are not as volatile as water allocation prices. "Over time, water use has and will transition from lower-value to higher-value agriculture." During 2015-16 we saw strong growth in values for water entitlements across a number of classes driven by these long-term factors. "Whilst this trend has undoubtedly eased in the new water year, there remains a high level of interest in entitlements across the basin."

Last month, Australia's largest listed agricultural property fund, Rural Funds Group, paid $34million to access water entitlements from ACT water utility Icon Water in one of the biggest water deals in the Murrumbidgee River irrigation area.

Other large transactions have occurred in the last 12 months, including the Chris Corrigan and Peter Scanlan-backed Aware Water company, which purchased at least $100 million worth of water entitlements from the Summit Water.

The other significant transaction that have occurred include listed group Webster's $116 million purchase of AgReserves Australia's farms, for which more than 50 per cent of the cost was for the water entitlements.

Last month, the billionaire Besen family joined with National Australia Bank, The Nature Conservancy and several private investors to raise up to $100 million for a fund called the Murray-Darling Basin Balanced Water Fund.

In August, Duxton Asset Management, Ed Peter, launched Duxton Water (D2O) on the ASX as a water entitlements play across the Murray Darling Basin.

How well they succeed will depend on the volatile climatic conditions Australia is so famous for. "If rainfall across the Murray Darling Basin reduces over summer, allocation prices are likely to increase," Mr Delves says, "However if a wet summer is experienced, then we are in for continued low volumes of allocation trade and lower prices." Regardless, he says the value of water entitlements is prone to increase over time as annual water use is progressively directed to higher-value agricultural outputs such as nuts.

Another key factor will be political involvement. Of the 35,000 gigalitres (35 trillion litres) in the Murray Darling Basin, only 11 trillion is used for irrigation. However there is still a push to have more water returned to the environment. "There will be plenty more politics to come," Blue Sky's Mr Morison says, "I don't think there will be a large impact on the environment if you take 450 gigalitres, but it would certainly have a big impact on the economic and social side of communities."
AFR

--------------------

4 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 >

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING