Logo
Registered Members Login:

Forgotten Your Details? Click Here To Recover +
Welcome to ShareScene - Talk Shares And Take Stock With Australia's Sharemarket Community - New Here? Click To Register >

Important Notice For All Members - ShareScene Is Moving

29 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > »    

Reply to this topic

BSL, BLUESCOPE STEEL LIMITED
nipper
post Posted: Dec 3 2018, 12:01 PM
  Quote Post

BlueScope, steel, the Australian steelmaker, last week reiterated an earlier prediction that underlying earnings this fiscal half would be roughly 10 per cent higher than the six months immediately prior.

Chief executive Mark Vassella said the company, which has been benefiting from a strong US steel market, is nearing its goal of having between $200m to $400m net cash.

BlueScope has already been buying back shares. In August, it also said it would repurchase $250m worth of stock as its annual profit more than doubled.

“With the transformed business continuing to generate strong cash flows, we are also able to pursue a mix of investing in the business,” including acquisitions and investor returns, said Mr Vassella.
- up 10%

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

nipper
post Posted: Jan 25 2017, 10:06 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: alonso's post @ Jan 25 2017, 09:49 AM

alonso, I think most observers thought that.

Tough decisions made by management, staring down union at Pt Kembla, strategic move to USA that actually worked. But it is still a niche supplier, and there is a tide of imported stuff to keep prices honest. Trump would be 'an assist'.

--------------------
"Every long-term security is nothing more than a claim on some expected future stream of cash that will be delivered into the hands of investors over time. For a given stream of expected future cash payments, the higher the price investors pay today for that stream of cash, the lower the long-term return they will achieve on their investment over time." - Dr John Hussman

"If I had even the slightest grasp upon my own faculties, I would not make essays, I would make decisions." ― Michel de Montaigne

alonso
post Posted: Jan 25 2017, 09:49 AM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: nipper's post @ Jan 24 2017, 08:25 PM

I'll have to keep up nipper.
I thought Bluescope died a few years ago and was sitting in the morgue waiting for a post mortem.

--------------------
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true"

"What is prudence in the conduct of every private family can scarce be folly in that of a great kingdom." Adam Smith

nipper
post Posted: Jan 24 2017, 08:25 PM
  Quote Post

Shares in steel giant BlueScope jumped to a six-year high on Monday to close at $11.21, after the company told investors that its first-half earnings are set to comfortably outstrip guidance. For the six months to December 31, 2016, BlueScope anticipates booking underlying earnings before interest and tax (EBIT) of around $600 million.

The figure compares favourably to prior guidance of "at least $510 million" detailed in November and would see the first half alone top its full-year performance in fiscal 2016.

The upward revision follows on the heels of two upgrades to guidance just prior to the release of full-year results last year as well as a positive adjustment around this time last year in relation to the corresponding fiscal 2016 figures..

The latest improvement to its outlook was pinned on stronger steel prices, higher-than-expected iron ore prices and productivity improvements. "In addition, compared to our outlook expectations for 1H FY2017 communicated in August 2016, our building products segment has had a strong half particularly in the North American business which benefited from higher steel prices and margins," BlueScope said. "The India business also saw positive earnings growth with higher margins and volumes."

It wasn't all good news, however, with the company noting it would likely recognise an impairment of $65m. This was tied to a shake-up of manufacturing sites within its China buildings arm, capital expenditure at its Taharoa export iron sands unit and restructuring of its engineered buildings business in India.

--------------------

nipper
post Posted: May 24 2016, 10:10 AM
  Quote Post

BlueScope Steel Limited (BSL) guided for 2H16 underlying EBIT of $270m, which is up from the $209m guided to in February 2016.

The stronger performance has been driven largely by
- earlier delivery of targeted cost reductions,
- higher steel and iron ore prices,
- better than anticipated Australian domestic despatches,
- better than expected margins in the international businesses.

--------------------

batikit
post Posted: Aug 17 2015, 11:16 PM
  Quote Post

will the coming 4th attempt break the $3.7 resistance this time?
entered at $3.65 . Expect BSL to rise tomorrow and break the resis with good volume. If it go south the MCAD will have another kiss of death and I am out. Tight stop below $3.59
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

mullokintyre
post Posted: Aug 25 2014, 10:16 AM
  Quote Post

BSL getting hammered this morning after failing to meet forecasts.
Tough market this one. Expect to get the treatment if not exceeding expectations, much less not reaching them.
Might take some time to recover after this.

Mick

--------------------
sent from my Olivetti Typewriter.

nipper
post Posted: Jun 3 2013, 09:09 AM
  Quote Post

Feedback From Day One Of Bluescope Australia & New Zealand Investor Briefing/Site Tour

Not a great deal of new information to come from Day One of the tour. BSL noted that domestic activity and global spreads remain subdued. The decline in the A$ is positive, albeit the benefits for BSL's domestic operations are not likely to flow through until 1H14 (minimal benefit in 1H13). The Company also noted that it was starting to see some pricing benefits from anti-dumping duties. This and a lower A$ is likely to improve BSL's competitive position. No change to earnings guidance for 1) positive 2H13 CIPA EBITDA and 2) a small positive 2H13 group NPAT.

Key takeouts are highlighted below:
  • Still not seeing any pick up in domestic activity. BSL is expecting some improvement in residential construction in 1HFY14. Residential activity is key to driving an improvement in mix.
  • The decline in the A$ is clearly positive. While this will have an immediate positive impact on the translation of US$ earnings, CIPA is unlikely to see much benefit in 2H13 given the benefits come through with a lag.
  • BSL is seeing some benefits of preliminary dumping duties now starting to come through in pricing (there are duties on HRC and Coated Steel). BSL appealed the HRC determination, which is now being reinvestigated. Dumping action on Plate is now also being sought by BSL.
  • Trading conditions for the distribution business remain challenging. BSL do not expect to see any improvement in 2H13 earnings from this business vs. 1H13.
  • The NZ&PI business is on track to deliver a better 2HFY13 vs. 1HFY13. The business is targeting 1.7mt of iron sands exports in FY13 ramping up to a run rate of 2.7mtpa by 2HFY14. Management noted the anticipated delivery of the second ship for iron sands exports has now slipped to 1HFY15, meaning it would have to use other more expensive shipping options (including trans-hipping via Port Kembla) to achieve its export target by 2HFY14.
  • BSL continues to make good progress on cost out and optimisation initiatives.
  • BSL's next generation Zincalume steel with activate technology has commenced production in Australia and is being progressed at NZ steel. This product will come with a longer warranty, requires less coating metals and will allow for sales into new markets, such as perforated construction products

--------------------

mcart117
post Posted: Mar 1 2013, 12:04 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: arty's post @ Feb 18 2013, 06:17 PM

Arty, I think the yellow line in this is close to your 161.8% level. I wonder if it's breaking through, or preparing to do a GGG! ohmy.gif

arty
post Posted: Feb 18 2013, 06:17 PM
  Quote Post

In Reply To: mcart117's post @ Feb 18 2013, 04:56 PM

Using last year's July-October trading range as 0-to-100% for a Fibonacci Study, the price dropped back to the 61.8% level in November. When 100% is broken after such a retracement, the usual target expectation is 161.8%. And that's where it stopped today.

Attached Image

--------------------
I trade daily, but I am not a licensed adviser. Whether you find my ideas reasonable or not: The only person responsible for your actions is YOU.
I follow two rules: (1) There are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. (2) Whatever is inconsistent with observed facts must be discarded or revised. We must understand the Market as it is and not confuse how it is with how we wish it to be. (inspired by Carl Sagan)

29 Pages (Click to Jump) V   1 2 3 4 > » 

Back To Top Of Page
Reply to this topic

You agree through the use of ShareCafe, that you understand and accept the TERMS OF USE.

TERMS OF USE  -  CONTACT ADMIN  -  ADVERTISING